America was great during slavery, Moore tells black man

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

America was great during slavery, Moore tells black man

Post by _MeDotOrg »

At a rally in Florence, Alabama in September, an African American asked Roy Moore when he thought the United States was great.

I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction

Slave wedding vows were changed to read ''Till death or distance do we part". Slaves families were frequently separtated. Women and daughters separated from their husbands, often being raped by the slave master of their new home.

This ignorant Puke, from a slave state, does not know the first goddamn thing about the history of slavery if he thinks it was a good time for African American families. How the hell can someone that ignorant, a United States Candidate for Senate, say that in the 21st Century?

As to how out country could be considered great at a time when 1 out of 7 Americans was owned by another American, ask Roy Moore. I want to see how much of his foot can fit inside his mouth.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: America was great during slavery, Moore tells black man

Post by _Jersey Girl »

You have got to know that there are many more where he comes from--generationally and geographically. I knew several just like him when I lived there. The last thing this country needs is his brand of "old school". Makes me want to ask him, "Do you HEAR what just came out of your mouth?"

People like that don't learn. They wear their ignorance proudly right to the grave.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Yessir, those nigras were better off before Mr. Lincoln and his War of Northern Aggression.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/opini ... -rest.html
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I wanted to add this little historical footnote. Roy Moore makes the case that the antebellum south was a place conducive to family values. In Mississippi 49% of whites owned another human being. The Antebellum Southern lifestyle was predicated on the enslavement and misery of over half its population. Roy Moore wants us to think that a society predicated on a moral abomination was great.

Having women considered as property made them fair game to the gallant Southern gentlemen full of antebellum values. This did not go unnoticed by some Southern wives. Mary Chestnut was one such Southern woman. This is from her diary in 1861:

...God forgive us, but ours is a monstrous system & wrong & iniquity. Perhaps the rest of the world is as bad. This is only what I see: like the patriarchs of old, our men live all in one house with their wives & their concubines, & the Mulattos one sees in every family exactly resemble the white children-& every lady tells you who is the father of all the Mulatto children in everybody's household, but those in her own, she seems to think drop from the clouds or pretends so to think-.

Another aspect of the great moral character (and denial) of the antebellum South.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
- Donald Trump
- Edwin Land
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

It's important to contrast these comments with his other comments arguing that America is the focus of evil in the modern world due to same sex marriage.

So if you read Moore in the most generous way possible and interpret him as saying that the antebellum South was great despite that whole slavery thing, he also thinks modern day America is a nightmare because of the sin of same sex marriage. That can't be overlooked. That tells you all you need to know about his views on slavery right there.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

How so?
- Will Durant
- Donald Trump
- Edwin Land
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

hmm...

Drapetomania

Drapetomania was a conjectural mental illness that, in 1851, American physician Samuel A. Cartwright hypothesized as the cause of black slaves fleeing captivity.

In Diseases and Peculiarities of the Negro Race, Cartwright points out that the Bible calls for a slave to be submissive to his master, and by doing so, the slave will have no desire to run away.

If the white man attempts to oppose the Deity's will, by trying to make the negro anything else than "the submissive knee-bender" (which the Almighty declared he should be), by trying to raise him to a level with himself, or by putting himself on an equality with the negro; or if he abuses the power which God has given him over his fellow-man, by being cruel to him, or punishing him in anger, or by neglecting to protect him from the wanton abuses of his fellow-servants and all others, or by denying him the usual comforts and necessaries of life, the negro will run away; but if he keeps him in the position that we learn from the Scriptures he was intended to occupy, that is, the position of submission; and if his master or overseer be kind and gracious in his hearing towards him, without condescension, and at the same time ministers to his physical wants, and protects him from abuses, the negro is spell-bound, and cannot run away.
He stated that the malady was a consequence of masters who "made themselves too familiar with [slaves], treating them as equals".
deity, Bible, almighty, god...
no other comment

See also
Dysaesthesia aethiopica, the name given to what was seen at one point in time to be a mental illness that was the cause of laziness among slaves.
The Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease
Depression
Dromomania
Oppositional defiant disorder
Political abuse of psychiatry

.Image.
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Roy Moore will become the next Senator from Alabama on Tuesday.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

MeDotOrg wrote:At a rally in Florence, Alabama in September, an African American asked Roy Moore when he thought the United States was great.

I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another…. Our families were strong, our country had a direction

Slave wedding vows were changed to read ''Till death or distance do we part". Slaves families were frequently separtated. Women and daughters separated from their husbands, often being raped by the slave master of their new home.

This ignorant Puke, from a slave state, does not know the first goddamn thing about the history of slavery if he thinks it was a good time for African American families. How the hell can someone that ignorant, a United States Candidate for Senate, say that in the 21st Century?

As to how out country could be considered great at a time when 1 out of 7 Americans was owned by another American, ask Roy Moore. I want to see how much of his foot can fit inside his mouth.

To be fair, during slavery saves were not African American...they were just slaves. And while you may not like the context, Moore did not say that slavery was the reason for family unity. Like it or not, slavery is a reference point in history and not everything that occurred during that Era is a horrible characteristic of American culture.

And yes, while not the particular eloquence you would enjoy from your velvet chair, his point is one of nostalgia and one that obviously resonates.
See, you condemn someone for saying the "good Ole days" because you assume they mean it was good because those were days when women and blacks couldn't vote and knew their place...but while that was coincidental to the time, you seemingly have forgotten how nostalgia works, both realistically and politically.

And obvioulsy, you have never lived in or visited Florence Alabama...whereas, ironically, I have...my oldest son was born there and where my mother's ashes are still interred....and I could tell you entertaining stories about my years in an area referred to often as the armpit of the South.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent