MY nuclear button is bigger than YOUR nuclear button!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The president is threatening nuclear war again

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Thanks, EA. I appreciate it. I find myself almost automatically going numb.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

EAllusion wrote:You forgot to add the smiley face to make it seem ambiguous. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I didn't forget.

I must confess that I don't know enough about this (going to do some reading) but I can't imagine that there isn't oversight (significant oversight/protective measures in place) with regard to a sitting president having complete and sole decision making power to press a nuclear button.

No way!
No freaking way!
(But Im going to do some reading)
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Ceeboo wrote:
EAllusion wrote:You forgot to add the smiley face to make it seem ambiguous. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I didn't forget.

I must confess that I don't know enough about this (going to do some reading) but I can't imagine that there isn't oversight (significant oversight/protective measures in place) with regard to a sitting president having complete and sole decision making power to press a nuclear button.

No way!
No freaking way!
(But Im going to do some reading)

Heh. Please come back for a mea culpa after you are done reading.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

EAllusion wrote:Heh. Please come back for a mea culpa after you are done reading.

I return with a personal acknowledgement of my error.
Mea culpa! :smile: (I remembered the smiley this time)

To my great surprise (along with my deep concern and complete and utter shock) it looks like the "2 man rule" applies to nuclear launch authority in the USA. The sitting president, along with the Secretary of Defense, seems to be the only to human beings required to launch nuclear weapons.

Given the gravity of a nuclear launch, I simply can't believe that this is the case....but it seems as though it most certainly is. I can't believe it!

I stand corrected and I offer EAllusion my sincere apology.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:We're not two days into the New Year and he's recklessly stirring the nuclear pot.

Maybe he thought that it was a fondue pot. Or a contestant from one of his pageants. There's just no telling where those fingers will end up.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Ceeboo wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Heh. Please come back for a mea culpa after you are done reading.

I return with a personal acknowledgement of my error.
Mea culpa! :smile: (I remembered the smiley this time)

To my great surprise (along with my deep concern and complete and utter shock) it looks like the "2 man rule" applies to nuclear launch authority in the USA. The sitting president, along with the Secretary of Defense, seems to be the only to human beings required to launch nuclear weapons.

Given the gravity of a nuclear launch, I simply can't believe that this is the case....but it seems as though it most certainly is. I can't believe it!

I stand corrected and I offer EAllusion my sincere apology.

Peace,
Ceeboo

No biggie. About a year ago I read a lot on the history of nuclear weapons. If you get the chance, read about the known instances in which the world came perilously close to nuclear warfare if not for the better judgment of a shockingly small number of people. It's a dread inducing experience.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: MY nuclear button is bigger than YOUR nuclear button!

Post by _EAllusion »

Well, time to bring back one of my favorite memes:

_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

EAllusion wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:I stand corrected and I offer EAllusion my sincere apology.

Peace,
Ceeboo

No biggie.

How very decent and kind of you, EA. Thanks!

About a year ago I read a lot on the history of nuclear weapons. If you get the chance, read about the known instances in which the world came perilously close to nuclear warfare if not for the better judgment of a shockingly small number of people. It's a dread inducing experience.

I'll check it out.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Wouldn't necessarily happen. The Nuremberg defense is legally indefensible.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1DI0QV
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

With Trump in the White House, it feels like we have the sword of Damocles suspended by a thread over our heads.

Do we simply accept that we have a President can casually get into a nuclear-tipped pissing contest with the dictator of North Korea?

After the bombing of Hiroshima, the Japanese coined the phrase genshi bakudan. Genshi, meaning atom, has the same root characters as original and child. Some people have observed that the atom bomb is the Original Child Bomb.

And now the Original Child Bomb is in the hands of two children.

Part of me wants desperately to wait until Mueller finishes his investigation, but I don't know if this country has enough time. Psychiatrists now have a term for it: PTSD, or President Trump Stress Disorder.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land