Shithole Countries

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: ____ Countries

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Themis wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I mean, there's no denying why Trump said what he said about 'black' countries. But, let's be honest here, Haiti is the dog ____ tiest of ____ hole countries in the western hemisphere. What a shame since it's beautifully situated and could be a great tourist destination. I have no idea what can be done for Haiti. It'll never get better.

- Doc

Haiti may have problems, but lets be honest, Trump's comments suggest he is a racist, and has incorrect raciest ideas about black people.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

EAllusion wrote:Haiti's problems are a primary consequence of Western exploitation, so it's odd to argue Haitians are the people to stay away from. If your drawing racial lessons from that, it would be to not deal with Europeans.

If you were charged for with the official Advisor to Haiti position for, I dunno, the UN or whatever, what would you recommend to get Haiti back on track?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Re: Shithole Countries

Post by _Analytics »

EAllusion wrote:Haiti's problems are a primary consequence of Western exploitation, so it's odd to argue Haitians are the people to stay away from. If you're drawing racial lessons from that, it would be to not deal with Europeans.

+1

Even if we grant that Haiti is a shithole, the fact remains that Trump said he wanted to base his immigration policy on the dominant races of the countries rather than the individual attributes of the immigrants. What could possibly be more racist than that?
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Maxine Waters wrote:
to be fair, your suggestion here likely creates way more bias than being there as a tourist. I do not consider a missionary's experience to be insightful for any "place" due to their rather limited and myopic exposure.

agreed that a missionary's view probably puts the country in a worse light but I don't think a tourist view of the country is accurate either, or even an expatriate who just lived in the few wealthier areas.

To put into perspective what a shithole Latin America is, the per-person GDP of Chile is just $24,133. That is shockingly low. In fact, it is almost as low as the USA's own shithole of West Virginia, which has a per-person GDP of $23,539. So if you want to know how awful Latin America is, save yourself some travel expenses and visit West Virginia.

Poor, lazy people like that are definitely the type we need to keep out.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Haiti's problems are a primary consequence of Western exploitation, so it's odd to argue Haitians are the people to stay away from. If your drawing racial lessons from that, it would be to not deal with Europeans.

If you were charged for with the official Advisor to Haiti position for, I dunno, the UN or whatever, what would you recommend to get Haiti back on track?

- Doc

I'm not proposing anything to fix Haiti. I'm responding to the notion that Haitian immigrants are undesireable because they come from a country that is poor and mismanaged as if that state is the result of the inferiority of the Haitian people.

Haiti is Haiti because of a near unbroken chain of oppression from the Western world. This starts in being a slave-based plantation economy under European rule, moves to harsh trade sanctions against the country by major Western world powers, including the US, after the slaves successfully overthrew their oppressors, continues into Haiti's massive national debt paid over the course of nearly a century in exchange for the French not to invade them, and makes its way even into modern times with the US propping up corrupt autocrats in the nation.

If we're trying to draw racial lessons from this, which I don't recommend, it's not Haitians that look like the inherently corrupt people you want to avoid.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Shithole Countries

Post by _EAllusion »

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

EAllusion wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:If you were charged for with the official Advisor to Haiti position for, I dunno, the UN or whatever, what would you recommend to get Haiti back on track?

- Doc

I'm not proposing anything to fix Haiti. I'm responding to the notion that Haitian immigrants are undesireable because they come from a country that is poor and mismanaged as if that state is the result of the inferiority of the Haitian people.

Haiti is Haiti because of a near unbroken chain of oppression from the Western world. This starts in being a slave-based plantation economy under European rule, moves to harsh trade sanctions against the country by major Western world powers, including the US, after the slaves successfully overthrew their oppressors, continues into Haiti's massive national debt paid over the course of nearly a century in exchange for the French not to invade them, and makes its way even into modern times with the US propping up corrupt autocrats in the nation.

If we're trying to draw racial lessons from this, which I don't recommend, it's not Haitians that look like the inherently corrupt people you want to avoid.

Right. I get it. White people are to blame because racism, politics, and money. What do?

- Doc

_Jesse Jackson Jr
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Jackson Jr »

dp
“It's not logical that we boast the most advanced and powerful internationally integrated economy in the world, then claim organizational incompetence and poverty when it comes to creating and funding a national health care system for all Americans.”
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

I think I got a good taste of both of these cultures early on in my life. I know them both pretty well. While far from perfect, I became very grateful at having been born in WV after seeing how people in Latin America lived. I've fought ever since to keep my country from becoming a Latin American country.

President Trump could care less whether foreign leaders are offended by his painfully true comments. His commitment is to the American people not the world.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Maxine Waters wrote:
President Trump could care less whether foreign leaders are offended by his painfully true comments. His commitment is to the American people not the world.

That's right. The rest of the world be damned.

Sound's like Christianity to me.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson