Latest School Shooting - Nobody Cares

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Re: Latest School Shooting - Nobody Cares

Post by _Analytics »

In America, we have the "right" to own guns. But we need to remember that several thousand people being gravely injured or killed every year is the price we pay for that "right."

#theprice
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Maxine Waters wrote:
What a country.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head making you stay here. You can have gun control back in Latin America right now if you want it.

Likewise, nobody is making YOU stay here. You can be free from the injustices of Social Security right now by moving to Haiti if you want to.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Analytics wrote:In America, we have the "right" to own guns. But we need to remember that several thousand people being gravely injured or killed every year is the price we pay for that "right."

#theprice

The dead have no rights.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Analytics wrote:
Maxine Waters wrote:Nobody is putting a gun to your head making you stay here. You can have gun control back in Latin America right now if you want it.

Likewise, nobody is making YOU stay here. You can be free from the injustices of Social Security right now by moving to Haiti if you want to.

That's actually an interesting question. Is there a country that would be welcoming to a white American professional who wants to be freer, or free from welfare and social security, than he is right now? Would Russia be a good landing spot for White nationalist types?

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Maxine Waters wrote:
What a country.
Nobody is putting a gun to your head making you stay here.

No. There's just the treat of a gun around every corner if I do stay here.

Believe me - I weigh the pros and cons of moving home every day.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

MeDotOrg wrote:Here's where I am now with guns: To own a gun you need a federal permit. Just like a driver's license, you have to pass a written test. The permit must be renewed every X number of years (not sure exactly how many years). Any criminal activity could potentially mean revoking the person's permit and the confiscation of his guns. Any weapon that wasn't a hunting rifle or a gun for personal protection would be banned, like the AR-15. No bump stocks, no high capacity magazines.

Funding for all of this would be paid for by a tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition, and a permit fee. If you are a law abiding citizen, you get to keep your weapons for hunting or personal defense. But in order to purchase a weapon you have pass a test.

If we have to have guns (and it appears we do for a reason I'm still having trouble with), this sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Therefore, it will never see the legislative light of day.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

MeDotOrg wrote:Here's where I am now with guns: To own a gun you need a federal permit. Just like a driver's license, you have to pass a written test. The permit must be renewed every X number of years (not sure exactly how many years). Any criminal activity could potentially mean revoking the person's permit and the confiscation of his guns. Any weapon that wasn't a hunting rifle or a gun for personal protection would be banned, like the AR-15. No bump stocks, no high capacity magazines.
Ownership of guns other than the above will be illegal. Military and law enforcement will receive funding to buy them at 75% of assessed value from current owners. Brokers can purchase them, if owners would prefer to remain anonymous. Buy-back period will be one year. Crack down on this epidemic NOW! Surveillance of social media and immediate followup for now is essential. Every time it happens, others will follow. Ever heard the word "epidemic"?
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Kevin Graham wrote:https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/parkland-shooting-white-supremacist_us_5a85ca6ae4b0774f31d34100

Turns out he trained with a Neo-Nazi group.

Shocker

Hey, there are very fine people on both sides.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It is interesting that Trump blamed the neighbors and friends of the shooter for not reporting him to law enforcement so they could proactively lock him up. Of course, Trump would lambast the police if they took his guns proactively.

As the NRA points out AK-47s do not kill people; students kill people.

Dr. Steuss made a good observation that Trump would say there a good people that train with neo-Nazi groups since it is politically expedient to praise his base constituency.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

When I was a younger man, I promised myself I would never do this, but nevertheless I am going to begin a sentence with...

When I was boy, what did we prepare for in school? Nuclear War. Drop and cover drills. We now have a generation of children growing up practicing active shooter drills. And an active shooter is a far more real possibility than nuclear war for American children.

Think about that: Sixty years ago, the greatest enemy to the United States children was nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Today it is the gun next door.
When I was growing up, you could see the occasional stock footage of an nuclear bomb test on TV, with the houses blowing over and the crash dummies. Today if you want to know what it is like to be in a school shooting, just take a trip over to YouTube.

Normally I think you should be able to make your point with words, but there are not words to describe that video. You have to watch it. And after you have watched it, think about how many junior high and high school students will also watch that video, and for the rest of their lives, have that be a part of their consciousness about school.

Paul Ryan said today that we "need to take a breath and collect the facts."

The facts:

We do not have to live like this, being strangled by a distorted, paranoid worship of the Second Amendment, bought and paid for by the Gun Lobby. But until there is a political consequence for the Speaker of the House or and other congressman taking blood money, it will continue to happen. There has to be a countervailing political action against the NRA, that makes it dangerous for any politician with national aspirations become a lap dog for the NRA and the gun manufacturers.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land