Latest School Shooting - Nobody Cares

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Latest School Shooting - Nobody Cares

Post by _Some Schmo »

Another day, another mass shooting.

In this one stat, it's hard to argue that America's not #1.

But nobody gives a crap. We get the same platitudes about how people kill people, blah blah blah, freedom, blah blah blah, need to protect my family, blah blah blah. To speak this way after a shooting is a standard tenet, a duty for every member of the GOP cult, because who knows? The Obama boogie man might still try to round up everyone's guns (there's not an eye-roll emoticon powerful enough for this situation).

It's quite clear. Nobody really cares. People need to die so I can shoot cans off a log. It's that important.

It's like Drumpf - after a while, watching all that insanity becomes normal. More people died? Meh... what can you do? Anything new on Netflix?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Latest School Shooting - Nobody Cares

Post by _canpakes »

But, hey, our "thoughts and prayers" are with the victims' families. That works, right? We can move on, now.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

I feel you, Schmo. There really are no words left at this point. It's all been said, the acts of violence and terror keep coming. But nothing changes.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:But, hey, our "thoughts and prayers" are with the victims' families. That works, right? We can move on, now.

I suppose it does work. This is what people say in order to pretend they give a crap about anyone except themselves.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:I feel you, Schmo. There really are no words left at this point. It's all been said, the acts of violence and terror keep coming. But nothing changes.

I watched Chris Rock's latest stand-up last night, and he was talking about how guns are never going away in the USA. If you talk about it too long, you'll just end up getting shot.

What a country.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I wonder what could be the possible motivation of Russians heavily infiltrating and funding the NRA would be...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Unarmed Lives Matter
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Schmo, I had a similar reaction. I think one of the things that is going on right now is there are so many other things going on in the country that people are beginning to adopt the mindset that school shootings are becoming a back-burner problem.

One thing I wonder about in the abstract: Is there a number of deaths that will make people sit up and decide there is something that needs to be done? 19 people in a high school is not enough. 50 people in an Orlando Nightclub? Not enough. 58 people killed in Las Vegas? Not enough. I just wonder if there is a number that will make people sit up and take notice.

Funny, you can't get a top security clearance in the White House if you have ever smoked marijuana, but as long as you haven't been hospitalized you can be bat-shot crazy and by all the military combat rifles, ammo and high capacity magazines you want. Imagine if driving a car had the same Constitutional protections as owning a gun. I have no doubt there would be thousands more deaths on the highway each year. And in the United States of the 21st Century owning a car is a lot more important in day to day life than owning a gun.

Here's where I am now with guns: To own a gun you need a federal permit. Just like a driver's license, you have to pass a written test. The permit must be renewed every X number of years (not sure exactly how many years). Any criminal activity could potentially mean revoking the person's permit and the confiscation of his guns. Any weapon that wasn't a hunting rifle or a gun for personal protection would be banned, like the AR-15. No bump stocks, no high capacity magazines.

Funding for all of this would be paid for by a tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition, and a permit fee. If you are a law abiding citizen, you get to keep your weapons for hunting or personal defense. But in order to purchase a weapon you have pass a test.

Do non-gun owners have no rights? Does our government have any responsibility to insure that the rights protected in the Second Amendment are not destroying the domestic tranquility of the United States?
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

What a country.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head making you stay here. You can have gun control back in Latin America right now if you want it.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pa ... 4f31d34100

Turns out he trained with a Neo-Nazi group.

Shocker