Russia Likely Did Swing Votes For Donald Trump

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Russia Likely Did Swing Votes For Donald Trump

Post by _Themis »

Kevin Graham wrote:I just don't see how this gets pinned on HC alone. I mean the same question can and has been asked of the American people. What kind of people elect someone like Trump? Is it really HC's fault so many people are this stupid? You've seen Trump supporters, do they strike you as the kind of people who are swayed by facts and evidence?

I've talked to people who actually think HC is worse then Trump. I agree with Kish that HC would be qualified and a competent President, but there are many things that made her less likely to be voted for. She has been attacked a lot from the 1990's on. It's my understanding that taking the SoS job is generally seen as one that hurts a person's chances of running successfully for President. If she hadn't taken the job there would have been no email conspiracy which has been a huge issue for her for a long time.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The Democrats needed to find a likable candidate that the right-wing propaganda machine had not spent years demonizing. Hopefully someone younger than Bernie, Hillary or that dope who ended up being the Republican candidate.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Some Schmo wrote:Well, I'm in the exact same boat (I've been called a Bernie Bro a couple times). I remember saying during the primary that I was all for a female president, just not this particular female. And I ended up voting for her too. I think she would have been a middling president at best, but I wouldn't have worried so much about what the rest of the world thought of us.

I can't take people seriously if they call me a misogynist. On that subject, I am quite confident about who I am.

The problem these days is that an accusation is three-fourths of the battle. A person has to fight strenuously not to be misunderstood.

I think Clinton would have been a decent president as far as our current corporate imperialist state goes.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Kevin Graham wrote:I just don't see how this gets pinned on HC alone. I mean the same question can and has been asked of the American people. What kind of people elect someone like Trump? I notice the same people who voted for Stein own this more than the people who voted for HC because they're the ones who basically helped Trump.

Is it really HC's fault so many people are this stupid? You've seen Trump supporters, do they strike you as the kind of people who are swayed by facts and evidence? HC could have done nothing to beat sense into their heads. She couldn't prevent Comey's BS letter, Russia's interference or Wisconsin's voter restrictions. It was just a perfect storm of all kinds of BS.

This is exactly the kind of surrealistic blame shifting that boggles my mind. Anyone who points fingers at everyone except the losing candidate is not dealing with reality. It is a candidate's job to capture the votes of stupid people. If the candidate can't do that, then the candidate is piss poor. Trump loves the uneducated, and there are plenty of them. Clinton is only for those enlightened few who truly understood and truly believed. Her loss is a judgment on the rest of humanity. LOL.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Kevin Graham wrote:Um, yes? When someone gets three million more votes and loses, that's an unreliable system. When a vote in South Dakota counts four times as much as a vote in California, that's an unreliable and unfair system.

And do we really need to discuss how the GOP gerrymanders control of Congress?

Gee, it's essentially the same system that Obama won twice with. Are you suggesting that we went from a system that could elect Obama to Third World nightmare politics in four years of Obama's presidency?

Really?

Were you complaining like this when Obama won? Talking about how broken and unjust the electoral college was?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

moksha wrote:The Democrats needed to find a likable candidate that the right-wing propaganda machine had not spent years demonizing. Hopefully someone younger than Bernie, Hillary or that dope who ended up being the Republican candidate.

I think LA Mayor Rick Garcetti will probably be the next Dem candidate, or at least mount a decent bid for their nomination.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Has anyone wondered whether some of the pro-Trump posters on this board might be Russian moles whose aim is to overthrow truth, justice, and the American way while posing as business tycoons, racists, optometrists, and those with toiletry impairments?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

moksha wrote:Has anyone wondered whether some of the pro-Trump posters on this board might be Russian moles whose aim is to overthrow truth, justice, and the American way while posing as business tycoons, racists, optometrists, and those with toiletry impairments?

Sadly I think there are plenty that will shill for Trump here, or anywhere, gladly and for free. I believe EA has even told subgenius that if he isn't being paid for it that he ought to ask for backwages (I hear the pay is pretty good for the work).
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Kishkumen wrote:
I think Clinton would have been a decent president as far as our current corporate imperialist state goes.

How does one define “corporate imperialist state”? What does that mean?
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Kishkumen wrote:This is exactly the kind of surrealistic blame shifting that boggles my mind.

Where am I wrong? I'm not the one focusing on blaming. We know from the available data that had several factors not happened that were completely out of HC's control, she would have certainly won the election. That's just a fact and I bring them up to point out how important it is that we change them.

Anyone who points fingers at everyone except the losing candidate is not dealing with reality.

And people who are pointing fingers at only her aren't?

It is a candidate's job to capture the votes of stupid people.

It is their job to get most votes. The problem with the Trump voter base isn't just stupidity, it is also racism.

If the candidate can't do that, then the candidate is piss poor.

Come on Kish, you're just venting because Bernie lost.

Trump loves the uneducated, and there are plenty of them.

So following this logic Trump was a strong candidate because he got more stupid people to vote for him.

Clinton is only for those enlightened few who truly understood and truly believed.

66 million votes is not few.

Her loss is a judgment on the rest of humanity. LOL.

No, I said Trump's win is a judgment on humanity. You don't think having 63 million people vote for the man you accurately described as abhorrent, isn't a judgment on our society at all? The number of votes that would have swung the election to her by a decent margin is easily accounted for by the factors already mentioned that had nothing to do with her actions or lack thereof.

Look, I didn't like HC either. But in hindsight, she's a friggin Abe Lincoln (with less facial hair) compared to this ass-clown we have now. I just don't see how it is in any sense productive to keep blaming her for our plight, especially fifteen months after the election.