I have cancer

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Re: I have cancer

Post by _Analytics »

Kevin Graham wrote:I'm 47 going on 48 and I had never been to a urologist before so I went. I also noticed over the years that one testicle was noticeably bigger than the other. I googled about it and webmd and other places said this was normal so long as one isn't more than 25% larger than the other. Well, mine was at least 100% larger. But I wasn't sure if one was getting smaller as opposed to the other getting larger.

So I went and the urologist scheduled me for an ultrasound. They saw a mass 4.8 centimeters in diameter. She said we had to assume it is cancer. I asked if it could be something else, and she said there is like a 2-3% chance it could be something else if I had trauma to that area. I said trust me, I'd know if I had any kind of trauma to my nuts. So, now we have to take it out and see what the pathology determines. If it is the kind of cancer that spreads, then they will scan further and probably do chemo and/or radiation.

I'm flying to Brazil on Monday and having surgery on Wednesday. We should know more by next week.

Anyway, the doctor said she is glad she had me do an ultrasound because she was 50/50 on that decision and damn near let me go without further ado.

Thanks for the updates--we are all pulling for you. As the Quakers say, I will hold you in the light.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Kevin Graham wrote:
If God is real, then he's been sitting on the sidelines during all of this while she and millions of other children suffer needlessly. And if that's true, then this is't the kind of God I want to devote my life to.

It is possible there is some god working in mysterious ways, but no one knows. Kevin, if god doesn't exists, then I think we should have a plan B. '

Think about it Kevin! Perhaps god is futuristic technology. There is nothing to lose http://www.cryonics.org/
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Kevin Graham wrote:
I'm flying to Brazil on Monday and having surgery on Wednesday. We should know more by next week.

Get well Kevin
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

ajax18 wrote:I hope you pull through Kevin. I still believe with God all things can work together for our ultimate good.

It is the sentiment that counts, and that was a nice sentiment.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a question if you don't mind answering, Kevin. I can see where Brazil might be a personal preference, but is there also a medical preference involved in the decision?

I have a cousin (older than you) who is just about to set up for ultrasound for the same or similar issue. He's neglected to follow through for a year now but that due to dealing with grief and tragedy. It's helpful to read your account so that I can get an idea of what is ahead of him and how I might be of support and encouragement.

Anyway, have you come across information that medical care for this issue might be superior in Brazil? Or is it a matter of medical care and treatment would be about the same and you've decided this location as a personal family preference?

Don't answer if you don't want to. Just skip it entirely.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

And I was feeling sorry for myself because I am suffering from BMP (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) and have had to endure having a catheter inserted through my urethra 24 hours a day for the past couple of months or so. Hopefully that ordeal will end next time I see my urologist. What I have is minor compared to your cancer.

Please add my best wishes for your complete recovery. I would miss you if you were gone. You are one of the posters with whom I agree more often than not.

I don't know if one of the reasons you are going to Brazil is to have the surgery (I doubt that), but I realize that it is within the realm of possibility. It is my understanding that even some relatively minor medical procedures are so expensive in the USA that it is cheaper to have them done overseas, even including the travel and lodging expenses.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

We have a doctor friend there who is like family, and I trust him. Plus, it is much less expensive down there.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Gunnar wrote:And I was feeling sorry for myself because I am suffering from BMP (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) and have had to endure having a catheter inserted through my urethra 24 hours a day for the past couple of months or so. Hopefully that ordeal will end next time I see my urologist. What I have is minor compared to your cancer.

Please add my best wishes for your complete recovery. I would miss you if you were gone. You are one of the posters with whom I agree more often than not.

I don't know if one of the reasons you are going to Brazil is to have the surgery (I doubt that), but I realize that it is within the realm of possibility. It is my understanding that even some relatively minor medical procedures are so expensive in the USA that it is cheaper to have them done overseas, even including the travel and lodging expenses.

I appreciate that gunner.

Cost played a part in my decision to go to Brazil for surgery, but it was really several factors. The doctor there is an anesthesiologist who delivered my kids and we've known him for a long time and so I trust him. His wife is more or less my wife's mother for all intents and purposes.

But yes, it is far more expensive here in the states, even with insurance.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

So, you did decide to actually have the surgery done in Brazil. I guess I shouldn't have doubted that, knowing what I know about the expense of American Healthcare.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kevin Graham wrote:Cost played a part in my decision to go to Brazil for surgery, but it was really several factors. The doctor there is an anesthesiologist who delivered my kids and we've known him for a long time and so I trust him. His wife is more or less my wife's mother for all intents and purposes.

But yes, it is far more expensive here in the states, even with insurance.

That makes all the sense in the world. You need to know that you are in good and capable hands, and after all, family is family.

I hope you and yours have a peaceful weekend. Throw some clothes in a suitcase, get in the wind and go to war.

Maybe you can drop us a note here. We're sorta like family, too.

:-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb