Live cam for LA homeless

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Live cam for LA homeless

Post by _Markk »

http://weingart.org/index.php/why-it-matters

This is in front of one of the shelters...
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Re: Live cam for LA homeless

Post by _Always Changing »

What I notice most often is the predominance of limps, walkers, and wheelchairs. Makes me wonder what is the the most common cause. Yes, it matters.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Always Changing wrote:What I notice most often is the predominance of limps, walkers, and wheelchairs. Makes me wonder what is the the most common cause. Yes, it matters.

This is at a shelter. In front of the shelters you will see more older folks, and those with disabilities...it is safer and closer to the food and shelter. as you go out into the adjoining blocks you wil see more tents and younger folks.

To your point, many have disabilities, both mentally and physically. A lot of folks in wheel chairs.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Plus the safety offered by the cameras.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

I knew of the term "skid row" as a slum that the downtrodden and homeless end up in and as the name of a heavy metal band long before I was aware that skid row was an actual physical location and not just a metaphor. 80's kids, man.

The hilarious thing about all these threads on the subject is it just makes me think that skid row isn't as bad as its reputation has led me to believe.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Origin of the term skid row:

Wikipedia wrote:A skid row or skid road is an impoverished area, typically urban, in English-speaking North America whose inhabitants are people "on the skids;" this specifically refers to the poor, the homeless, or others either considered disreputable or forgotten by society. A skid row may be anything from an impoverished urban district to a red-light district to a gathering area for the homeless. In general, skid row areas are inhabited or frequented by individuals marginalized by poverty or through drug addiction. Urban areas considered skid rows are marked by high vagrancy, and they often feature cheap taverns, dilapidated buildings, and drug dens as well as other features of urban blight. Used figuratively, it may indicate the state of a poor person's life.

The term skid road originally referred to the path along which timber workers skidded logs. Its current sense appears to have originated in the Pacific Northwest. Areas identified by this name include Pioneer Square in Seattle; Old Town Chinatown in Portland, Oregon; Downtown Eastside in Vancouver; Skid Row in Los Angeles; the Tenderloin District of San Francisco; and the Bowery of lower Manhattan.

'On the skids' used to be a more popular expression. It meant you had a streak of bad luck, perhaps losing your job and/or your living quarters.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

In LA, "Skid Row" is a district like the Garment district or Jewelry district. A court case decided the boundaries. I believe laws were made so cops could not arrest people for vagrancy within the boundaries..
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

I thought it was a video of Sebastian Bach
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent