Breast is Best>

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Breast is Best>

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:[are] the decades of science behind baby formula good or bad?

Good quality baby formula, correctly and hygienically prepared, and fed to the infant in appropriate amounts, enables children to be adequately nourished when:

(a) The mother is medically unable to breastfeed the baby.

OR

(b) The mother's work or social circumstances make it difficult to breastfeed the baby.

OR

(c) The mother simply does not wish to breastfeed the baby.

Of course it is a good thing that such products have been developed, since if circumstances like (a) (b) or (c) obtain, it is no longer necessary for the child to be fed on inadequate or harmful preparations such as cow's milk (fresh or otherwise) or 'pap' of various kinds.

What is bad is when mothers who would otherwise be able and willing to give their babies the benefits of breast milk are dissuaded from doing so by marketing campaigns that give them the impression that formula is nutritionally superior to breastmilk, or is otherwise to be preferred as a sign of sophistication, and truly caring 'scientific' parenthood.

If the result is that the baby is fed on good quality baby formula, correctly and hygienically prepared, not much is lost, although breast milk gives the child some things that cannot be bought in a tin.

But if the result is that a poor woman trying to do her best for her baby ends up buying cheap and perhaps adulterated products, which she has not got the facilities to prepare hygienically, and of which she cannot afford to buy enough to nourish her child adequately, the result is a malnourished or even sick child who would have been much better off breastfed.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Chap wrote:If the result is that the baby is fed on good quality baby formula, correctly and hygienically prepared, not much is lost, although breast milk gives the child some things that cannot be bought in a tin.

But if the result is that a poor woman trying to do her best for her baby ends up buying cheap and perhaps adulterated products, which she has not got the facilities to prepare hygienically, and of which she cannot afford to buy enough to nourish her child adequately, the result is a malnourished or even sick child who would have been much better off breastfed.

Well put. Additionally - and barely mentioned in this conversation - there is an immunological benefit to newborns from breast milk. There are also some health benefits to the mother, including that breastfeeding essentially acts to prevent another immediate pregnancy, which is a consideration for poor individuals in undeveloped countries with limited resources.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

fake news
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

You will need immigration.

As Spanish speaker I can attest to the consumer wealth pouring into the country from south of the border. Speaking spanish doubles and triples your pay grade.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Water Dog wrote:fake news

You’re just angry because you weren’t breast fed. : )
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Chap wrote:... breast milk gives the child some things that cannot be bought in a tin.

... there is an immunological benefit to newborns from breast milk. There are also some health benefits to the mother, including that breastfeeding essentially acts to prevent another immediate pregnancy, which is a consideration for poor individuals in undeveloped countries with limited resources.

Yup. You have spelled out what I had in mind - thanks!
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Chap wrote:Yup. You have spelled out what I had in mind - thanks!

Also, breastfeeding is ridiculously more convenient. No hauling around or cleaning separate bottles. No purchase required of same. Mom is always prepared for the baby’s needs.

This is a huge asset for folks in less-developed nations. Breastfeeding also contributes to less water use and wastewater generation (by not washing and sterilizing formula bottles) and less chance of infecting the baby from improperly cleaned bottles and nipples.

But, apparently none of that ‘good for the baby and the mother’ stuff is important in the face of some giant formula company otherwise being able to capture a few more dollars of profit.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

canpakes wrote:
Water Dog wrote:fake news

You’re just angry because you weren’t breast fed. : )

Except I was breast fed... as have been all of my children.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

While I wasn't breast fed as a baby, I do partake as an adult and I can't recommend it highly enough.

(Kidding Chap.......No need for you to swoop in and defend the women of the world against sexist Ceeboo)
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Ceeboo wrote:While I wasn't breast fed as a baby, I do partake as an adult and I can't recommend it highly enough.