Breast is Best>

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Breast is Best>

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
canpakes wrote:...If a mother is hauling in her daily supply of water by jug and on foot over a few miles, it might not be the best use of that water to clean out formula bottles when the breastfeeding option is available. This is the sort of ‘convenience’ that I’m referring to.

are you suggesting that these water-toting mothers are receiving the marketing campaign materials? ...Enfamil ad-campaign via billboards along the water-toting trail?
exactly how do you "imagine" these mothers are being exposed to this seemingly unscrupulous advert campaign that the WHO protects them from?

It’s not really possible to extract your conclusion from my text, but if you’re going to ask if such a thing could happen, you might do some research, first. Here’s a start:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nestles- ... -formula-7
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Thanks for the link.

Meanwhile in the Third World, women tried to save money by diluting the formula.
Formulas had to be mixed with water, but Third World mothers didn't understand that overdilluting it—especially with contaminated water—could "prevent a child from absorbing the nutrients in food and lead to malnutrition," said War on Want.

A New York Times' article on the scandal said one Jamaican family's income "averaged only $7 a week," leading the mother to dilute the water with as much as three times the recommended amount of water so she could feed two children.

Millions of babies died from malnutrition.

"The results can be seen in the clinics and hospitals, the slums and graveyards of the Third World," said War on Want. "Children whose bodies have wasted away until all that is left is a big head on top of the shriveled body of an old man."

In the Times, United States Agency for International Development official, Dr. Stephen Joseph, blamed reliance on baby formula for a million infant deaths every year through malnutrition and diarrheal diseases.

It also hindered infant growth in general, said War on Want. Citing "complex links emerging between breast feeding and emotional and physical development," the group said breastfed children walked "significantly better than bottle-fed" kids, and were more emotionally advanced.

Anyone surprised?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Chap wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:Yes breastfeeding is better, but it doesn't mean scientists won't create a better powdered or artificial milk in the future.

That is perfectly possible.

But as has already been pointed out by more than one poster, even the creation of a perfect breast-milk-equivalent formula does not render it desirable that the producers should undertake intensive marketing designed to make mothers in poor countries switch to formula from breast milk - simply because preparing and feeding formula without risk to infant health demands hygienic conditions that many poor mothers in poor countries will simply not be able to meet. Breast milk will always be safer in that regard.

In addition, there are two risks in persuading poor women that feeding formula is superior to breast milk, and that failure to do so shows deficient parenting:

1. If they purchase a good (and hence expensive) brand, the cost of it will impact the family budget in ways that damage the health of themselves and other family members - or the baby itself, if they cannot afford enough formula to feed the required amount.

2. If they purchase a cheap brand on the principle that 'formula is better', then even if they do feed hygienically and in the specified quantity the baby may be malnourished.

Interesting.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
subgenius wrote:are you suggesting that these water-toting mothers are receiving the marketing campaign materials? ...Enfamil ad-campaign via billboards along the water-toting trail?
exactly how do you "imagine" these mothers are being exposed to this seemingly unscrupulous advert campaign that the WHO protects them from?

It’s not really possible to extract your conclusion from my text, but if you’re going to ask if such a thing could happen, you might do some research, first. Here’s a start:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nestles- ... -formula-7

Um, none of these articles addressed the notion that a "mother is hauling in her daily supply of water by jug and on foot over a few miles" is being victimized by an advert campaign that would otherwise be thwarted by the WHO resolution - in fact, one article suggests that a lack of knowledge about formula is a problem (but the bias conclusion of using contaminated water in formula=bad while ignoring that breastfeeding mother drinking same contaminated water=good?...geez)...so, "do research" is great advice, but perhaps you should also heed it..

...and just so i am clear, the science behind baby formula, is that good science or bad science?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

More time wasting troll fodder from subgenius. Not worth more than the attention it takes to skim it once.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

If a Republican wants to discourage breast feeding, it's likely because he/she has a blanket objection to it happening in public, and they can't stand anyone receiving anything free off a public teat.

GOP slogan: pay limited taxes, get nothing in return!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:Um, none of these articles addressed the notion that a "mother is hauling in her daily supply of water by jug and on foot over a few miles" is being victimized by an advert campaign that would otherwise be thwarted by the WHO resolution - in fact, one article suggests that a lack of knowledge about formula is a problem (but the bias conclusion of using contaminated water in formula=bad while ignoring that breastfeeding mother drinking same contaminated water=good?...geez)...so, "do research" is great advice, but perhaps you should also heed it..

You asked me to find you evidence on an activity that I never mentioned or suggested, then get your britches tangled in a wad because I won’t dig up evidence of your imaginings for you?

Are you getting enough sleep these days?

subgenius wrote:...and just so i am clear, the science behind baby formula, is that good science or bad science?

It’s probably as good as the science behind bourbon distilling and firearms manufacturing. Why do you ask?