This is probably what it will take to end shutdown

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

This is probably what it will take to end shutdown

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Too many people don't understand how much federal workers do, particularly Republicans. This is something that will affect a lot of them and annoy the living crap out of them too. With TSA workers quitting or calling in sick, lines at the airports are getting longer and longer. Imagine if a terrorist attack happens because of lax security due to the shutdown? Like building a wall is keeping more people safe than airport security is? Trump doesn't care about any security, all he cares about is keeping his half-assed campaign promise to his racist base.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/get-t ... 2019-01-04
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: This is probably what it will take to end shutdown

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I'm fairly certain Republicans think the TSA is a waste of time and money. I think I recall reading once that the general Conservative consensus is the free market will sort security out, in that airlines that efficiently screen passengers will be rewarded with more business and thus the market will determine if they're doing an acceptable job or not.

To be honest, they may have a point, because soft targets like private trains and buses, or public transportation aren't being blown up and there's no TSA screening those services.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I'm fairly certain Republicans think the TSA is a wasted of time and money. I think I recall reading once that the general Conservative consensus is the free market will sort security out, in that airlines that efficiently screen passengers will be rewarded with more business and thus the market will determine if they're doing an acceptable job or not.

To be honest, they may have a point, because soft targets like private trains and buses, or public transportation aren't being blown up and there's no TSA screening those services.

- Doc

But it isn't like they can go back to the old days when TSA didn't exist and people could just get on a plane without going through rigorous security checks. They're still going to be waiting much longer in lines which will be extremely annoying.
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

If the shutdown lasts long enough to hold up tax returns it will end shortly after.id bet the vast majority of trump supporters will turn on him when they can’t get their money.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Trump has this shutdown well in hand. When the country's infrastructure starts crumbling and Americans cry out for the great harm the shutdown is doing, you just know that the Democrats will cave on this issue. The will say, "Fine, fine, here is the money to built your steel link fence. Just let America exist again".

Trump will proclaim to the world that he conquered the Democrats and America. He will be cheered on the streets of Moscow and Pyongyang for this resolve.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The strategy of holding America hostage till the wall money is coughed up seems to be working. With all the federal bathroom closures, how long can America hold it before they give Trump carte blanche and their Dinners Club cards?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Molok wrote:If the shutdown lasts long enough to hold up tax returns it will end shortly after.id bet the vast majority of trump supporters will turn on him when they can’t get their money.

The White House says it will order the IRS to pay tax returns. I have no idea how they're supposed to do it short staffed.

But yeah.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I'm fairly certain Republicans think the TSA is a wasted of time and money. I think I recall reading once that the general Conservative consensus is the free market will sort security out, in that airlines that efficiently screen passengers will be rewarded with more business and thus the market will determine if they're doing an acceptable job or not.

- Doc

You make a valid argument here and I have often considered TSA to have been a good jobs program more than it is a good security program. And now with the lucrative pre-check programs etc, it may also be a decent income source while also creating a great database of citizens. :cool:

And as for soft targets, the queue to get into a security checkpoint still remains - imho - the most vulnerable, especially since many airports have still broken these checkpoint into smaller and more dispersed checkpoints.

Nevertheless, as a Republican, i can understand the value in TSA and in public transportation security in varying degrees - so i do not consider it a laissez-faire issue at all. I have discarded many of the anarchist principles of my youth especially the ones that impact my airport lounge membership.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:Too many people don't understand how much federal workers do, particularly Republicans. ...

Your posts constantly remind me of this scene from the Simpsons:

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:Too many people don't understand how much federal workers do, particularly Republicans. This is something that will affect a lot of them and annoy the living crap out of them too. With TSA workers quitting or calling in sick, lines at the airports are getting longer and longer. Imagine if a terrorist attack happens because of lax security due to the shutdown? Like building a wall is keeping more people safe than airport security is? Trump doesn't care about any security, all he cares about is keeping his half-assed campaign promise to his racist base.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/get-t ... 2019-01-04

and note that Democrats would rather"Trump!" than support these federal workers as well...you guys are ringing true the current joke that if Trump supported oxygen you'd startholding your breath.
Pelosi has missedthe opportunity to sacrifice for these federal employees...why is that?