'Welcome to the First Annual Christian Witches Convention!'

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Re: 'Welcome to the First Annual Christian Witches Conventio

Post by _AmyJo »

Morley wrote:
AmyJo wrote:Most of the accused burned in the Salem witch trials weren't really witches to begin with.

They stacked rocks on them or hanged them, I believe. Burning at the stake is left to Hollywood.

It's a fun topic, AmyJo. Thanks.

I believe they were all women except for the one who had rocks stacked on him. He was 71 years old. My God, what torture for those poor people. The real witches were the false accusers!
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Chap wrote:
AmyJo wrote: Most of the accused burned in the Salem witch trials weren't really witches to begin with.

Nobody has EVER been a witch in the sense of the word as understood in European and early American witch trials - a person who has entered into a league with Satan in order to be given magic power to harm their neighbours in terms for his dominion over their souls.

Because:

(a) Satan is as imaginary as Santa.

(b) People don't have souls.

(c) Magic powers do not exist.

Just thought I'd mention those points. By the way, witch-hunters came down pretty hard on people who said they didn't believe in witches. You know, party poopers and all that stuff?

The ones meeting in Salem in April are Christian witches. Maybe it's a form of Wiccan practice. But they are most definitely not Satanic.

It isn't imaginary to them. Witchcraft is real as far as they're concerned. Wouldn't you rather they practice good magic, or black magic? They believe Jesus Christ was a Grand Wizard. And you know, they may very well be right.

He was good through and through.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Jersey Girl wrote:He's got a whole youtube channel with prophetic forecasts. Here's the one for February.

Let's be Witcher watchers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuOdgOPLO8

(I'm listening to it right now. He's putting people on par with the Biblical understanding of God.)

He's not scary. Doesn't strike me as practicing in the black magic occult at all.

Very young and more New Agey in fact. :)

When he started talking about sacrifice I did want to make sure he wasn't referring to human sacrifice lolololol. He wasn't. :lol:
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

AmyJo wrote:I believe they were all women except for the one who had rocks stacked on him. He was 71 years old. My God, what torture for those poor people. The real witches were the false accusers!

Actually, five of the hanged were also men. There were another five or so that died in prison (records are not exactly clear).
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

AmyJo wrote:Most of the accused burned in the Salem witch trials weren't really witches to begin with.

Are you implying that some of the accused burned in the Salem witch trials actually were witches to begin with?

It isn't imaginary to them. Witchcraft is real as far as they're concerned.

Is witchcraft real as far as you're concerned?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Dr. Shades wrote:

Are you implying that some of the accused burned in the Salem witch trials actually were witches to begin with?

It was the murderers who were the real witches during the Salem Witch Trials. Those murdered were falsely accused. There was only one of the nineteen women who gave a confession to being a witch, but it was most likely a coerced and a false confession under duress. People were unjustly accused if they were seen as different in the Salem community.

It isn't imaginary to them. Witchcraft is real as far as they're concerned.

Is witchcraft real as far as you're concerned?

It's real to those who believe in it. I'm just superstitious enough to be superstitious. I believe in evil, and the powers of darkness and light. So yeah, if someone wants to play with fire that's real enough. I don't care to dabble in the occult, but I do find it an interesting topic. Maybe in a past life I lived in Salem.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
AmyJo wrote:I believe they were all women except for the one who had rocks stacked on him. He was 71 years old. My God, what torture for those poor people. The real witches were the false accusers!

Actually, five of the hanged were also men. There were another five or so that died in prison (records are not exactly clear).

So there were more men than just the one, huh? Still more women overall. Boy were those Puritans nuts. The real evil was inside themselves.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I just finished listening to an in-depth podcast on the Salem Witch trial. It was eleven episodes of at least 60 minutes, followed by several hours of interviews. At this point, I can’t write them off as nuts. Knowing a little more about the people and the events at that time made me understand what happened and why. I found it fascinating.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Res Ipsa wrote:I just finished listening to an in-depth podcast on the Salem Witch trial. It was eleven episodes of at least 60 minutes, followed by several hours of interviews. At this point, I can’t write them off as nuts. Knowing a little more about the people and the events at that time made me understand what happened and why. I found it fascinating.

Would you please share the link to the podcast? :smile:
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

AmyJo wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:I just finished listening to an in-depth podcast on the Salem Witch trial. It was eleven episodes of at least 60 minutes, followed by several hours of interviews. At this point, I can’t write them off as nuts. Knowing a little more about the people and the events at that time made me understand what happened and why. I found it fascinating.

Would you please share the link to the podcast? :smile:

Here you go: https://historyunobscured.com Enjoy!