Lindsey Graham:Non-compliance w/House is impeachable

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Re: Lindsey Graham:Non-compliance w/House is impeachable

Post by _ajax18 »

Gunnar wrote:Ajax, by most measures, Norway is doing just fine, thank you.

As concerned as you are about ancient historical wrongs, how much do you think is fair to pay me for what your ancestors did to mine? Seeing how concerned you are about justice and your vast historical knowledge and all, I can't understand why you didn't bring this up yourself.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:

As concerned as you are about ancient historical wrongs, how much do you think is fair to pay me for what your ancestors did to mine? Seeing how concerned you are about justice and your vast historical knowledge and all, I can't understand why you didn't bring this up yourself.

You’ve have no trouble already covering the current Prez’s 960 million dollars in bankruptcy write offs. Why are you fretting about something that doesn’t exist?
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Speaking of reparations...

...[T]he Trump administration will be breaking with the precedent set by every president since its enactment.... implementing Title III would open the floodgates to reparations claims ...

Womp, womp
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:

When we consider the great contributions, both cultural and scientific, that Norwegians have given the rest of the world since the Viking Era, I would say that they have more than made up for what some (not all) Vikings inflicted on their contemporaries during that bygone era. The success of Norwegian commandos during WW2 in sabotaging German efforts to develop nuclear weapons before the USA did is by itself sufficient repayment for what their ancestors inflicted on much of Western Europe during medieval times.

Skis Against the Atom:
The Exciting, First Hand Account of Heroism and Daring Sabotage During the Nazi Occupation of Norway

Paperback (253 pages)
The outcome of WWII could very possibly have been much different if a small, but courageous band of Norwegian soldiers had not been successful in sabotaging the Nazis' supply of heavy water.

The exciting, first-hand account of heroism and daring sabotage during the Nazi occupation of Norway. The outcome of World War II could very possibly have been much different if Knut Haukelid and his small, but courageous band of Norwegian soldiers had not been successful in sabotaging the Nazis supply of heavy water. The heavy water produced at a facility in occupied Norway was vital to Hitlers race with the United States to develop the atomic bomb.
Knut Haukelid's Skis Against The Atom gives the reader an intimate account of the valiant and self-sacrificing service that the not-to-be-subdued Norwegians performed for the whole free world.

It is very possible, perhaps even likely, that Germany would have invented the atom bomb before the USA had it not been for the dangerous and daring efforts of those brave Norwegian commandos in WW2. I'll bet you didn't know that, did you? Can you imagine the horrible consequences had Hitler gotten the bomb before we did? So I and my fellow Norwegians currently owe you nothing. The descendants of those ancient Vikings have long ago settled any debt their ancestors might have incurred for their past behavior.

Learn some history! and avoid making a fool of yourself yet again!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

When we consider the great contributions, both cultural and scientific, that Norwegians have given the rest of the world since the Viking Era, I would say that they have more than made up for what some (not all) Vikings inflicted on their contemporaries during that bygone era

Have WASP people also made cultural and scientific contributions that would make up for their past behavior? Why do we still owe the rest of the world something while you do not?

Case in point. Are the descendants of African slaves better off in the US or the descendants of the Africans who captured and sold these people as slaves back in their native Africa? Which group is better off now? And why do the descendants of these African slave traders share no blame or responsibility for capturing and selling their brethren to European slave traders? Why is it only the descendants of southern white slave owners who owe this debt now?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
:lol: I guess I'm just a hopeless disgrace and disappointment to my Viking ancestors!

My only explanation is that the strongest Scandinavians sailed to England to fight while the weak ones remained in Scandinavia.

canpakes wrote:The 'weak ones' then built stuff, farmed or had babies to replace the 'strong ones' killed in England. ; )

And don't forget that the Normans who conquered England in 1066 CE, and have essentially ruled England ever since, were themselves basically Norsemen, just a couple or so generations removed from their ancestors who, in the first half of the 10th Century, settled and occupied the large region of France consequently known as "Normandy" ever since.
Norman, member of those Vikings, or Norsemen, who settled in northern France (or the Frankish kingdom), together with their descendants. The Normans founded the duchy of Normandy and sent out expeditions of conquest and colonization to southern Italy and Sicily and to England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Are you going to arrive at any kind of point with your rambling, racist BS, or are we going to have to endure your ignorant recounting of every perceived racial sleight in history that Breitbart told you about you stupid old goat?
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Eh
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Molok wrote:Are you going to arrive at any kind of point with your rambling, racist ____, or are we going to have to endure your ignorant recounting of every perceived racial sleight in history that Breitbart told you about you stupid old goat?

I'm waiting for Gunnar to answer.

And don't forget that the Normans who conquered England in 1066 CE, and have essentially ruled England ever since, were themselves basically Norsemen, just a couple or so generations removed from their ancestors who, in the first half of the 10th Century, settled and occupied the large region of France consequently known as "Normandy" ever since.

The language and DNA of the British people still is more closely related to the Anglo Saxons and celtic britains than the Normans. Even so, I think highly of the Normans, who by your standards would undoubtedly be viewed as nothing more than racist imperialist which they were not. They were just strong people who successfully laid claim and defended their claim to the land. And they certainly weren't among the weak people who remained behind in Scandinavia. Norsemen they were for sure, but nothing like you Gunnar.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

White supremacy is like a chihuahua thinking it's too good to breed with a pomeranian.

I take that back. No dogs deserve that. Dogs are better than that.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.