Trump's Dumbest Comments Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Trump's Dumbest Comments Thread

Post by _honorentheos »

EAllusion wrote:I don't think the issue with Trump's statement is the fact that he has some poorly thought out criticisms of windmills that are half-BS'ed and half cribbed from right-wing talking points. There is that too, of course, but in trying to say dumb things he barely can speak a coherent thought.

While I agree, the issue I'm pointing out is that the attempt to rebuff trump in that Factcheck was, itself, dubious in how it dealt with facts. It's part of our brave new world where truth is up for grabs depending on one's position. It's worth stepping back and recognizing "alternative facts" aren't the sole prerogative of Trumpites. One should be even more careful when dealing with facts that support one's beliefs as we are less likely to treat them with appropriate critical judgement.

That's my point.

Anyway, carry on with dumb Trump comments.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Does the fact that we have a president who can't speak in complete sentences scare anyone else?

His brain - like scrambled eggs.

Qotd!
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

honorentheos wrote:
EAllusion wrote:I don't think the issue with Trump's statement is the fact that he has some poorly thought out criticisms of windmills that are half-BS'ed and half cribbed from right-wing talking points. There is that too, of course, but in trying to say dumb things he barely can speak a coherent thought.

While I agree, the issue I'm pointing out is that the attempt to rebuff trump in that Factcheck was, itself, dubious in how it dealt with facts. It's part of our brave new world where truth is up for grabs depending on one's position. It's worth stepping back and recognizing "alternative facts" aren't the sole prerogative of Trumpites. One should be even more careful when dealing with facts that support one's beliefs as we are less likely to treat them with appropriate critical judgement.

That's my point.

Anyway, carry on with dumb Trump comments.

Yeah, fact checks are often bad. They frequently get trapped in inappropriate focus on factoids and an inability to place claims in their proper context.

It's a blight on journalism when you realize they function as a way for publications to argue they are fact checking claims from dishonest politicians so they don't have to do that directly in articles reporting on politicians' comments. Can't have an article that says, "Donald Trump misleads about X." Gotta save that for the fact check section on page A19. In the main article, it's just "Donald Trump says X."
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

EAllusion wrote:I was going to post this one. It's a good example of how the media cleans up Trump when reporting on him. While this is a particularly egregious example, he speaks like this often, and it's usually reported as things like, "Trump has critical words for wind-power" followed by snippets to support that headline that edit him down into something more coherent. The reality is he speaks not infrequently like his brain is scrambled eggs and if he was just quoted verbatim, it would give a much better picture what is going on. Instead, the coverage assists him by obscuring this. It reminds me of the media avoiding portraying FDR in a wheelchair. People are just sort of collectively choosing to pretend the President of the United States of America isn't routinely speaking like an absolute idiot and/or dementia patient.

Like freaking clockwork:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMkQDXpXYAIMWBh.jpg
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

The President had been regularly briefed that North Korea possessed vast artillery batteries that, in the event of war, could kill millions in Seoul. The photo seemed to bring the briefings home.

“They have to move,” he said, referring to the inhabitants of Seoul.

The officials in the Oval Office weren’t sure if Trump was joking. Trump repeated, “They have to move!” Seoul, with a population of 10 million, has roughly as many residents as Sweden. Was the President seriously suggesting 10 million people needed to leave their homes in Seoul and move elsewhere? No one knew what to say.

https://time.com/5744414/trump-generals ... xperience/
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

President Trump videoconferenced members of the military on Christmas Eve from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. One soldier asked the president what he got first lady Melania Trump for Christmas. Listen to President Trump's response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpOl-TDheY8
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Trump just congratulated the "Great State of Kansas" for a Super Bowl Victory won by a team based in Missouri.

The tweet was subsequently deleted.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Icarus wrote:Trump just congratulated the "Great State of Kansas" for a Super Bowl Victory won by a team based in Missouri.

The best response:

“It's Missouri you stone cold idiot.”

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

I'm waiting for the always hilarious sharpie memes for this one.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Icarus wrote:Trump just congratulated the "Great State of Kansas" for a Super Bowl Victory won by a team based in Missouri.

Here's my pick for dumbest comment in response to Trump's dumbest comment.

"To be fair, it is confusing as f— that Kansas City isn't in Kansas. And kind of dumb," one individual wrote in response to the deleted tweet on Sunday night.

:lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb