Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gunnar wrote:A further question: If McConnell could legally refuse to let impeachment come to a vote in the Senate, would he dare to do so? Could he be that stupid and/or arrogant?

How has his arrogance served him thus far? The question is, does letting Trump get impeached at this point further the GOP's political power? I mean, they have Pence who is hardcore parkour Conservativo. They could dump Trump, and roll with Pence for the party's nomination. I dunno. Who knows. Right now we, the people, need to press our reps to dump Trump because he's not suited for the office. At least with Pence you have someone who understands the office and would probably do things legally, which is what Presidents should be doing.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

You may have a good point, Doc. Maybe even Pence would be somewhat better than Trump. One thing I am sure of is that he could hardly be worse!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Molok
_Emeritus

Post by _Molok »

Gunnar wrote:A further question: If McConnell could legally refuse to let impeachment come to a vote in the Senate, would he dare to do so? Could he be that stupid and/or arrogant?

It’s not like he’s faced any negative consequences so far, is it? I don’t think our political landscape is likely to change much until a lot more Americans actually start caring to hold their representatives accountable for their actions.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Absolutely. Merrick Garland, anyone?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Molok wrote:

It’s not like he’s faced any negative consequences so far, is it? I don’t think our political landscape is likely to change much until a lot more Americans actually start caring to hold their representatives accountable for their actions.

It's gonna be hard for Americans to hold their representatives accountable when those representatives are getting increasingly good at making it difficult for those who want to do so to vote while making easier for them to cheat at elections.

At a certain point, you're just wondering why Hungarians don't hold Viktor Orban accountable. Or, if you prefer, why North Carolinians don't hold their Republican legislature accountable.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

One of the things that's funny/sad about this whole affair is that we're getting some insight into exactly how the Russians influenced our election. The Crowdstrike conspiracy crap was started by Russia, and you have Americans (including one on this very forum) repeating it, doing the exact thing Russia wants, all while denying Russia is a bad actor.

No Russian made me vote for Trump...

Oh no... of course not.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Read an interesting opinion on how things could play out with "impeachment".
1. Dem house impeaches and it goes to Senate for trial.
2. Senate trial legally allows for Trump lawyers to subpoena people.
3. Who do you think will get subpoenas? (spoiler alert: Comey, Clinton, Holder, Lynch, Brazille, etc.)
4. How do you think that testimony will go? What will be the questions and answers....
5. Senate trial airs everything out in open.
6. Repub Senate and a few Dems vote to NOT convict Trump.

So yeah...keep on keeping on.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:Read an interesting opinion on how things could play out with "impeachment".
3. Who do you think will get subpoenas? (spoiler alert: Comey, Clinton, Holder, Lynch, Brazille, etc.)
4. How do you think that testimony will go? What will be the questions and answers....
6. Repub Senate and a few Democrats vote to NOT convict Trump.

But what if reality isn't a bunch of insane lies that you believe? What then?
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

subgenius wrote:Read an interesting opinion on how things could play out with "impeachment".

"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:

But what if reality isn't a bunch of insane lies that you believe? What then?

You would know better than anyone.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent