Hurting Economically Does Not Absolve a Trump Vote

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Molok
_Emeritus

Re: Hurting Economically Does Not Absolve a Trump Vote

Post by _Molok »

Smokey wrote:Given the choice between a Billionaire reality Television star and a murderous, corrupt, Satanic Witch that would have led us to war, the People made the best choice they could.

Satanists BTFO for 8 years!

Someone wants some attention!
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

This article cites no data to back up its assertion. The closest it gets is a survey in which members of Gen Z describe their views as "conservative" or "moderate" on subjects like gay marriage and marijuana legalization. What the article fails to mention is that Gen Z favors legalization of marijuana and legal same sex marriage. The implication is that some of them so take their position for granted that they call the once liberal view "conservative" or "moderate."

As far as Trump approval goes, Gen Z dislikes Trump most of all. He polls about as favorably as cancer among them.

Why not just scrawl something on a napkin and label it Pollz?
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

How do you feel about legalizing weed?

Well, it obviously should be legal. I guess it's fine to sell it in gas stations if you can buy cigarettes and alcohol there, but like, don't get too carried away. I'd say I'm a moderate.

Smokey: Huzzah! Nazis raising kids on youtube will usher in a conservative revolution!
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Lol. I looked up some recent polls on Gen Z views on marijuana legalization. The answer is that nearly all of them think it should be legal.
_Smokey
_Emeritus

Post by _Smokey »

EAllusion wrote:Lol. I looked up some recent polls on Gen Z views on marijuana legalization. The answer is that nearly all of them think it should be legal.

So does Trump you dope.
Dr Shades is Jason Gallentine
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Smokey wrote:Image

7% probability things happen all the time. 7% of the time, in fact. This is an impressive self-own even when attempting to cherry-pick some some of the most dire forecasts for Trump.

Yes, people generally thought Clinton was favored to win with varying degrees of confidence. 538's odds were something around 66/33 in her favor on election night and her odds were better than that prior to some late developments. Nonetheless, everything Ajax says in his comments on it is false.

"The polls for the 2016 Presidential election were off by a tiny amount; therefore, I'm justified in disregarding the entire field of polling if it tells me something I dislike in preference for wild speculation that flatters what I want to think" is not great reasoning.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Smokey wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Lol. I looked up some recent polls on Gen Z views on marijuana legalization. The answer is that nearly all of them think it should be legal.

So does Trump you dope.

That's not true, but let's pretend it is.

It's neither here nor there. You cited an article, contradicting what actual research shows, arguing that Gen Z is conservative in its political outlook. This was in response to the idea that young people tend to disapprove of Trump. The article is virtually contentless in supporting this assertion. It's main case is referencing a survey that found Gen Z by majority describes its views on subjects like marijuana legalization as "conservative" or "moderate." It turns out that Gen Z almost unanimously wants marijuana to be legal. So, if the survey is correct, its finding says more about how much the overton window has shifted on the subject in that cohort.
_Smokey
_Emeritus

Post by _Smokey »

Two different polls showing Generation Z respondents self-identifying as conservative, among other things.

The article is virtually contentless in supporting this assertion.

The Forbes article links directly to the study it relies on.

“A U.K. Study at The Gild did a survey of almost 2,000 adults and found that on issues like gay marriage, marijuana legalization, transgender rights, and even tattoos, 59% of Gen Z respondents described their views as ‘conservative’ and ‘moderate’.“
Dr Shades is Jason Gallentine
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Smokey wrote:The Forbes article links directly to the study it relies on.

“A U.K. Study at The Gild did a survey of almost 2,000 adults and found that on issues like gay marriage, marijuana legalization, transgender rights, and even tattoos, 59% of Gen Z respondents described their views as ‘conservative’ and ‘moderate’.“

Yeah, when combined with knowledge that Gen Z holds traditionally liberal positions on these issues, the logical implication is that a portion of Gen Z calls liberal positions on these issues "conservative" or "moderate."

In actuality, this unscientific survey of UK Gen Z'ers uses garbage methodology and is almost certainly just wrong, but even if you take it at face value, this does not help advance your, um, "argument."