Hurting Economically Does Not Absolve a Trump Vote

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Hurting Economically Does Not Absolve a Trump Vote

Post by _subgenius »

Brackite wrote:
So Reagan wasn't a conservative in your view?

I don't think that Reagan was a real conservative as President. The National debt nearly tripled under his Presidency. But Reagan was not a divisive Present like Trump is. Trump is the most divisive President in my lifetime.

Yes, Trump sure divided the country when he defeated Hillary Clinton...so yeah, that's on him.

But the 36 month of pathetic and futile attempts from Dem/Libs at a "death by a thousand accusations" is by far the most divisive "Present" that any lifetime has seen.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Yeah I can't see how you can blame Trump for a divisive country. The election of presidents like Trump or Obama, Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are symptoms of just how far apart we as individuals are in our politics. The moderates are thoroughly beaten in the party primaries and when they do win the primary they get beat in the general election (i.e. Mitt Romney).

People like Brackite who want to keep the borders open and unenforced but don't really follow the follow the hard left line on public employee unions and exorbitant pensions at taxpayer expense are kind of an anomaly.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

ajax18 wrote:People like Brackite who want to keep the borders open and unenforced but don't really follow the follow the hard left line on public employee unions and exorbitant pensions at taxpayer expense are kind of an anomaly.

People who are against President Trump to go around Congress to use the power of the purse to build more barriers along the border doesn't mean that they are for open and unenforced borders. Hannity used to believe that only Congress has the power of the purse, but he flipped flopped on that after Trump became President. Link
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

ajax18 wrote:Yeah I can't see how you can blame Trump for a divisive country. The election of presidents like Trump or Obama, Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are symptoms of just how far apart we as individuals are in our politics. The moderates are thoroughly beaten in the party primaries and when they do win the primary they get beat in the general election (i.e. Mitt Romney).

People like Brackite who want to keep the borders open and unenforced but don't really follow the follow the hard left line on public employee unions and exorbitant pensions at taxpayer expense are kind of an anomaly.

Trump would've been destroyed if he ran against Obama in 2012. He's a below-replacement level candidate (assuming a free and fair election). You have a child's understanding of political contests, and no matter how much you've been linked basic political science, you just ignore it and persist.

1) Presidential elections are mostly decided by factors outside of a candidate's control.

2) To the extent that election outcomes are affected by differences between candidates, those who outperform underlying factors do not necessarily win and those who underperform them do not necessarily lose. Think about it like golfers playing with different handicaps.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

EAllusion wrote:
ajax18 wrote:Yeah I can't see how you can blame Trump for a divisive country. The election of presidents like Trump or Obama, Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are symptoms of just how far apart we as individuals are in our politics. The moderates are thoroughly beaten in the party primaries and when they do win the primary they get beat in the general election (i.e. Mitt Romney).

Trump would've been destroyed if he ran against Obama in 2012.

If?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/ ... ntial-race
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EA course collection in 3...2...
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:

EAllusion course collection in 3...2...

Uh, deciding not to run against Obama is not running against Obama?