Impeachment hearings

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: Impeachment hearings

Post by _Some Schmo »

EAllusion wrote:The GOP political machine has become ruthlessly efficient at winnowing out anyone with integrity independent of party. So anyone who isn’t a walking dumpster fire really stands out. I am not sure how much praise a person in the party should get for doing the obviously right thing, but in this moment my intuition is still to find it laudable.

In this day and age, I think a politician should get major props for what Romney did today.

I've never been so impressed with the guy, and I'm honestly questioning my previous view of his character.

Congratulations, Romney. You're both a Mormon and a GOP senator I truly respect. Never thought I'd say that.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

by the way, I just caught up on this thread. Markk and milkwute are full of crap. They are pointless interlocutors.

These guys are why people think the Trump base is made of damned morons. They only talk that way.

At least, I'm no longer surprised by this. I expect Trump supporters to be ignorant and liars, and they rarely disappoint.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:This is a pattern I've noticed:

Both parties are guilty of projection.

The GOP projects their shittiness onto the Dems, which is why they're always convinced the Dems are corrupt, cheating, partisan assholes that are trying to defraud elections, trying to install sharia law, and turn the US into a muslim theocracy.

The Dems, until recently, projects onto the GOP the idea that Republicans just have an honest difference of opinion, but have the best interests of the country and its people at heart and might be interested in reasonable compromise.

- Doc

Yep. I've been thinking quite a bit about the same thing.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

I am deeply disappointed that Mitt Romney was the only Republican Senator with the good sense, integrity and courage to vote for conviction. Several of them, like Lamar Alexander, had enough honesty and gumption to acknowledge that what Trump did was inappropriate, yet that they voted to acquit him despite that only underscores their cowardice.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Icarus wrote:Well this is hot news.

Mitt Romney says he will vote to convict Trump!

So much for that "partisan impeachment" talking point.

So what you're saying is that among all the GOP senators, only one has a spine.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Markk wrote:
MissTish wrote:Markk-

Why didn't Trump have the DOJ investigate the Bidens?

Also, why did he finally release the Ukraine aid?

He did not release the aid to a gas company ran by a criminal on the run, he released it to the military as far as I know, but who knows where the monies will end up, I am not naïve enough to believe people are skimming off the top in most countries we give foreign aid to.

He did release it finally, withing the time limits, for probably several reasons, among them pressure for not approaching this correctly as your first question begs.

There are other reasons the aid was withheld other than the alleged personal reasons of Trump. This is all dirty politics, and by dirty politics Trump will be acquitted today of any crimes, and Biden will remain dirty, and Shiff will continue to make stuff up, Shummer will continue to say what ever is needed even when it contradict what he said in the past, and McConnell will be the passive straightest making deals of who know what, and Pelosi and Trump with continue to bicker like babies.

The left is in a bad position politically, and people voters are prospering, Trump knocked the address last night out of the park, to his base and many independents like me, and unless we have a major recession quickly, Trump will get 4 more years.

That said, the left had better get on the ball and find a exciting candidate that can unit/excite their base or it won't fair well with them. I know you think Trump is stupid, and maybe his is just stupid enough to have the left so flustered they are falling apart and is panic mode, while being focused on him instead of actually having a plan.

by the way I am watching Romney real time as I write this...and his choice, wow he is actually crying about his faith...he is now talking about the Biden's, that basically he missed his chance....it sounds like he is going to not him so far...getting suspenseful...he is going to not acquit him..., I think...he just said his voters will be pissed at him...he just said his vote will no make a difference in the out come...he said he will vote to convict the President on the abuse of power.

Chris Wallace is now interviewing him, on tape.

Why didn't Trump have the DOJ investigate the Bidens?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Icarus wrote:Trump becomes the first President in history to have a Senator from his party vote to have him removed?

Can this be true?

Apparently so. If the Nixon case had come to impeachment, that history would be different, which is why he resigned first.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:I am deeply disappointed that Mitt Romney was the only Republican Senator with the good sense, integrity and courage to vote for conviction.

I'm not nearly as disappointed with all the other GOP senators as I am impressed by Romney's courage.

Nothing was a surprise to me today except Romney. I almost wish he'd run again so I could vote for him. The dude showed genuine integrity, something I wasn't sure any GOP member knew was a thing.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:Nothing was a surprise to me today except Romney. I almost wish he'd run again so I could vote for him. The dude showed genuine integrity, something I wasn't sure any GOP member knew was a thing.

Let's be fair. There are GOP members who know integrity is a thing. For example: Rick Wilson, author of Everything Trump Touches Dies, George Conway (Kellyanne's husband), and others. Unfortunately, none of them are currently in positions of power that could seriously challenge Trump, at the moment. Hopefully, that will change during the current election season.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Trump had 2.5 years to ask the doj to investigate the Bidens. Never brought it up in any of his conversations with the Ukrainians until Biden began to outperform him in the post. Funny that.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin