When George Floyd was White...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_ldsfaqs
_Emeritus

When George Floyd was White...

Post by _ldsfaqs »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vc4Yi4PwI

There was an incident around 3 years ago or something in which an almost exact event as George Floyd happened to a "white" guy.
Do you remember hearing about it? No you didn't.

The media had like ONE report on it, and they didn't mention his race, and they forgot about it.
The public at large only heard about it when the video was finally released some 2 years later.

The above video goes over some of this incident, not in detail, but just gives some of the essentials. There are other videos that go into more detail out there.
One thing of note, this event might actually be worse than Floyd, because while this video silences part of it, if you find the original video, the cops over and over again are degrading/making fun of this guy, it was a big joke to them and absolutely disgusting.
Also, they entirely got away with killing him, weren't even fired if I recall.

----

Here's a bonus video... "When Ahmaud Arbery was White", except with different results since the white guy didn't attack the black guy with the gun after it was drawn/shown, he complied with the citizen's arrest, thus there was no cause to be shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32mX9TXUlyM
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: When George Floyd was White...

Post by _EAllusion »

There's tons of police violence stories against all manner of people. Because I read civil libertarian sources daily, I see a horrible video every few days. Police impunity is a huge problem. The level of national attention they receive varies and the big national stories are the result of a lucky snowballing effect. Police misconduct happens significantly more frequently to black Americans, in part simply because they are just policed more aggressively, and it represents systemic discriminatory behavior of police, on average, against minorities. That's why those tend to be the biggest of all because they combine police impunity problems with racial discrimination problems.
_ldsfaqs
_Emeritus

Post by _ldsfaqs »

1. You're right that police violence occurs to all manner of people.

2. You're wrong that it occurs "disproportionally" against blacks.
The ONLY disproportion is because blacks simply commit more crime. Period.
The Stats back this up, your fantasy's about reality isn't the same as facts and truth.

There is no difference at all between reported crimes, and black arrests, convictions, and prison time.
The ONLY reason blacks are pulled over more is simply because they don't obey traffic rules as much as whites do. Studies were done that proved this.
And the ONLY reason more black are in prison and sentenced longer is because of the above and the fact that they tend to have longer criminal records, which entirely effects sentencing compared to whites.

Your "systematic" or "institutional" racism claims are 100% LIES...
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

ldsfaqs wrote:
The ONLY reason blacks are pulled over more is simply because they don't obey traffic rules as much as whites do.
Oh wow, it has been a very long time since I’ve read ldsfaqs’ blatant, uneducated racism. I see nothing at all has changed!
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Lemmie wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:11 am
ldsfaqs wrote:
The ONLY reason blacks are pulled over more is simply because they don't obey traffic rules as much as whites do.
Oh wow, it has been a very long time since I’ve read ldsfaqs’ blatant, uneducated racism. I see nothing at all has changed!
He's a white supremacist and thinks less of blacks.

Also, it should be pointed out the George Floyd was never White. That's ldsfaq's way of further denigrating him because he's black. You see, ldsfaqs is a racist and thinks less of blacks. I'm positive of that, absolutely.

Do you suppose ldsfaqs is happy that Joseph Smith hacked off Anubis's nose for the final printing in the Times and Seasons? I'll bet money that ldsfaqs thinks it's funny and perfectly okay. That goes to show what kind of person ldsfaqs is, evil.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

1. You're right that police violence occurs to all manner of people.
It does. But it's still rare, especially if you're not out looking for trouble.
2. You're wrong that it occurs "disproportionally" against blacks.
The ONLY disproportion is because blacks simply commit more crime. Period.
The Stats back this up, your fantasy's about reality isn't the same as facts and truth.

There is no difference at all between reported crimes, and black arrests, convictions, and prison time.
The ONLY reason blacks are pulled over more is simply because they don't obey traffic rules as much as whites do. Studies were done that proved this.
And the ONLY reason more black are in prison and sentenced longer is because of the above and the fact that they tend to have longer criminal records, which entirely effects sentencing compared to whites.

Your "systematic" or "institutional" racism claims are 100% LIES...
Amen. This narrative has been driven since the 60s. That's nearly 70 years ago.

Cigar Dave spotlighted a New York social studies teacher and African American who spoke up in defense of the idea that rioting, looting, and violence were the only way which she's obviously using her classroom as a bullypulpit to inculcate kids who can't afford a private school. Her view was, "What do you expect when you bottle people up in a lockdown like this? But how real is the Covid threat and how much is the media pushing people to over react? The Michigan governor who squashed the 1st amendment right to peaceful protest of those begging to return to their jobs was out marching shoulder to shoulder and ignoring any of her own social distancing she had previously enforced under penalty of criminal law. EAllusion was just shouting that those who return to work have blood on their hands and lamenting that he couldn't criminally prosecute them for this. Social distancing has gone out the window for him now that his mob is on the march. Is he really afraid of a resurgence of Covid? How much of that is just a tool used by his side to help bring down the Trump economy? How quickly will the media pivot from social distancing is Biden is elected? I suppose they could just keep printing money and signing welfare checks. Most of these people I've spoken with are illiterate enough to think that's all you have to do to fix 40% unemployment.

I think we should allow liberal cities to defund the police. Perhaps let's just start with giving all officers a month long vacation starting right now. Or let BLM be in charge of policing the city. Or maybe wait until we can at least build some kind of wall around these liberal run cities to contain within them the certain destruction of mob rule and plunder. Fight it out amongst yourselves.

And the 2nd amendment debate is over. Anyone who had their shop burnt down amongst the $55 million in property damage in Minneapolis alone knows that the police are not their own personal security detail. Gun sales are through the roof.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

The fun thing about this post from Ajax is I'm one of the few posters who have explicitly expressed concern about protests acting as a vector for spreading COVID. It shows that he's just arguing with stereotypes in his mind he gets from his preferred alt-right sources mixed in with a heavy dose of dishonesty.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I like what Dan McClellan at MAD had to say on this.
Dam McClellan @ MAD wrote:Two things:

1) Even when controlling for these factors, a Black suspect who is unarmed is as likely to be shot at by police as a white suspect who is armed. There are other issues that betray a marked disparity, too. White drivers are 2 times more likely to be in possession of contraband than Black drivers, but Black drivers are 2–5 times more likely to be stopped for a vehicles search. It would be explicit racial profiling for a police officer to say they disproportionately stop Black drivers because they are "more apt to commit violent crime."

2) What underlying factors contribute to the disparity of that aptness
and the later on.
Because our country was literally built on the backs of Black slaves, the rationalization of whose enslavement is baked into the American experience. We are conditioned by the entirety of the American social, political, educational, and economic system to think of Black folks as more criminal and as less capable than others. Most of that operates on the intuitive side of our reasoning, and many of us have developed reflective decoupling techniques that help us override those intuitions, but implicit bias has been so repeatedly demonstrated by the data as to be entirely beyond dispute. We all experience it to one degree or another, no matter how convinced we are that we're above it. Now, implicit bias isn't the only reason, but it's a significant one. Here's one study from 2015 that demonstrated that Black folks were 2.8 times MORE likely to be killed by police than white folks despite being more than 50% LESS likely to be armed when killed:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6080222/

This other study from 2019 puts the odds of a Black person being killed by police at 2.5 times more likely than a white person:

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

We could identify dozens and dozens of such studies.
Then in response to a question about what are the contributing factors of both sides in this conflict?, he responds:
That's a great question, but unfortunately, it only seems to get asked when we're looking for reasons to have Black folks shoulder the blame. Too frequently, what happens is that someone points out that Black folks are more likely to commit violent crime (as someone has done already in this thread). The question of what factors contribute to that condition doesn't get asked, because the rhetorical goal isn't understanding, it's defending an ideology. I explain above that we all experience implicit bias, and our culture does a great job of aiming a lot of that bias at Black folks.
Then this in response to someone trying to blame Floyd's death on existing medical condition and drugs:
The autopsy does not list the drugs as contributing at all to his death. It sounds like you're trying to make excuses for why it should be ok for these officers to have used a non-approved method of restraint for almost 10 minutes while they ignored Floyd's cries for help and even for his already-deceased mother. Why did they lie on their report about his having resisted arrest? Why did they place him under arrest in the first place for a situation that usually does not involve law enforcement at all? Have you given in to some implicit bias?
See here
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

He's a white supremacist and thinks less of blacks.
No ldsfaqs is not racist. Be careful labeling people in that manner. It might become a self fulfilling prophecy. Maybe that's what you want, I'm not sure.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

The fun thing about this post from Ajax is I'm one of the few posters who have explicitly expressed concern about protests acting as a vector for spreading COVID.
Do you see any hypocrisy in how the Michigan governor responded to people peacefully protesting their right to work and earn a living and how she responded to the George Floyd protests?