Welcome to Chaz

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Welcome to Chaz

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

For example, this is just one of THOUSANDS of like comments being posted on social media:

https://ibb.co/xL8tvx6

Think about it. You get enough cute girls saying this garbage, and what do you think young men are going to do? You get enough bros saying garbage like that, and what are young men going to do? You get enough people shot or killed, and the revenge cycle will kick in. This can go sideways fast. We’re at a very tricky waypoint, the last one being back when President Trump should’ve flown out to MN and got everyone together to figure out a peaceful solution, but instead fiddled.

This whole thing is an absolute failure of leadership from top to bottom.

- Doc
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Whether anyone likes it or not, the more we learn about the recent events in Kenosha Wisconsin, the worse it looks for hard right conservatives, the local cops and the teenaged shooter. It only becomes more and more obvious that The cops were complicit in and contributed to the initial event that set off the protest, and exacerbating the tragic results. Will we never learn?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 am
Whether anyone likes it or not, the more we learn about the recent events in Kenosha Wisconsin, the worse it looks for hard right conservatives, the local cops and the teenaged shooter. It only becomes more and more obvious that The cops were complicit in and contributed to the initial event that set off the protest, and exacerbating the tragic results. Will we never learn?
Well apparently the kid broke a couple of laws. It is illegal to open/carry under the age of 18 in Wisconsin.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

-
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

-
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Kevin Graham wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:50 am
Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 am
Well apparently the kid broke a couple of laws. It is illegal to open/carry under the age of 18 in Wisconsin.
Not to mention (almost certainly) murder, as well. I don't buy his claim that he acted purely out of self defense. If he hadn't been armed and hadn't threatened or seemed to be threatening the protestors, they probably wouldn't have been motivated to chase him down, at risk to their own lives, to disarm him.

I also think it is highly unlikely anyone would have been hurt, let alone killed, had this foolish, young militant not decided to leave his home state to intervene, brandishing deadly weapons, in a peaceful protest that was not his legitimate concern, or if the local police had not irresponsibly encouraged his intervention.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:32 am
Kevin Graham wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:50 am

Not to mention (almost certainly) murder, as well. I don't buy his claim that he acted purely out of self defense. If he hadn't been armed and hadn't threatened or seemed to be threatening the protestors, they probably wouldn't have been motivated to chase him down, at risk to their own lives, to disarm him.

I also think it is highly unlikely anyone would have been hurt, let alone killed, had this foolish, young militant not decided to leave his home state to intervene, brandishing deadly weapons, in a peaceful protest that was not his legitimate concern, or if the local police had not irresponsibly encouraged his intervention.
All true, but this was still self defense. In all three instances he was fleeing trying to avoid conflict and only fired when it was either that or take another blow from a brick/skateboard. One of the other protesters had a gun as well and he wasn't attacked. I think this kid was targeted because he looked like an easy target being so young, and of course the fact that he was trying to guard an area where the protesters were actively destroying property and looting a car lot.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Icarus wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:02 pm
All true, but this was still self defense. In all three instances he was fleeing trying to avoid conflict and only fired when it was either that or take another blow from a brick/skateboard. One of the other protesters had a gun as well and he wasn't attacked. I think this kid was targeted because he looked like an easy target being so young, and of course the fact that he was trying to guard an area where the protesters were actively destroying property and looting a car lot.
I somehow missed the parts where one of the protesters had a gun, and the kid was hit with a brick or skateboard. My bad. But still, as we both agree, he shouldn't have been there in the first place, and the cops certainly shouldn't have egged him on. And, of course, the police shooting of Jacob Blake did not justify any of the looting and vandalism that occurred, however justified the protesting. Besides that, Rittenhouse should have been on the side of the peaceful protesters, if anything, and let the police deal with the violent, vandalistic ones.

― Harlan Ellison
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I absolutely agree the kid shouldn't have been there. The untrained militia (aren't we always bitching about undertrained cops policing?) shouldn't have been there. People coming in from out of state to riot, burn, loot, steal, and assault shouldn't have been there. Here's an interesting mugshot from 4chan about the guy who was screaming at the militia to shoot him, bum rushed the shooter, and caught a round in the head:

https://is2.4chan.org/pol/1598536369721.png

All three guys that were shot were Jews. Weird. And yes, the NatSocs on 4chan are eating that one up.

- Doc
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Well I thought this was a clear cut case of self defense, but after reading some legal opinions based on Wisconsin law, it may not be that simple. The kid was apparently there illegally, carrying a gun under the age of 18 which is also illegal. You can't claim self defense while in the middle of an unlawful act. In Wisconsin, apparently it is illegal to point a gun at someone, and if you do, then that is considered assault, which means anyone in the vicinity is justified in trying to disarm you. This kid may be fubared, but however the court rules, it is likely going to be a Rodney King type event.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax