Welcome to Chaz

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Welcome to Chaz

Post by _Icarus »

WTF is going on with this CHAZ business?

Fox News runs another unproven police allegation of protester criminality

Even Fox’s own local news station found no proof of Seattle “CHAZ” demonstrators demanding protection money from businesses — but the national channel ran with it

Fox News is uncritically repeating a police allegation — and not for the first time — about alleged violent and lawless acts protesters are supposedly committing in the ongoing nationwide demonstrations against police brutality. This time, the allegation is that protesters at a key area in Seattle are demanding protection money from local businesses, even though there is no hard confirmation of this claim and there’ve been plenty of denials by local business groups.

Protesters in Seattle briefly occupied City Hall on Tuesday night, led by far-left city council member Kshama Sawant, to demand the resignation of Democratic Mayor Jenny Durkan and defunding of the police department. Protest encampments also gathered around the East Precinct police building, leading to police boarding up and abandoning the precinct, though police officials claim they are “trying to get a dialogue going so we can figure out a way to resolve this.” Currently, the building is being protected by armed protesters, who told local media that they will not create an excuse to be seen committing crimes or destroying a building in their own community.

The area has now become known as the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, or “CHAZ.” The Seattle Times and The Stranger both report on an atmosphere in the area that is half-protest and half-street fair — with participants unclear on what exactly they are supposed to do next. But at a Wednesday press briefing, Seattle Assistant Police Chief Deanna Nollette made the allegation about protesters demanding protection money. The Seattle Times reported:
She said police have heard from Capitol Hill community members that some protesters have set up barricades in the neighborhood – and are apparently demanding to see people’s ID, and in some instances, residents and business owners have been asked to pay a fee to operate in a roughly six-block area around the precinct.

No one has legal authority to demand ID or payment, and the latter “is the crime of extortion,” she said, adding there have also been reports of people armed with firearms attempting to intimidate protesters.
Predictably, Fox News ran hard with the story on Thursday, even though local reporters — including those at the local Fox-owned station — had already made efforts to confirm or debunk this allegation the day before, and they had found nothing there. On Fox & Friends Thursday morning, co-host Steve Doocy uncritically repeated the report, and co-host Brian Kilmeade was outraged, calling it “unbelievably unacceptable."

Later, America’s Newsroom aired a clip of Nollette making the accusation — actually replaying the video twice during the course of a roughly three-minute segment.

Fox News correspondent Dan Springer also said: “There are security guards at all six entrances [of the precinct] — and some are armed, and have reportedly been forcing businesses to pay up.”

Local news generally carried Nollette’s claim, but usually buried it in their stories among other updates, and it does not appear to be a banner story.

To be fair, all it would take to “confirm” this rumor’s legitimacy would be for a single business owner to come forward and attest that they were the victim of an attempted shakedown by any person or gang of people. But even that does not appear to have happened yet.

Seattle Times reporter Katherine Khashimova Long got an email response from an official at the Capitol Hill Business Alliance, who said she had seen the claim in a blog comment and in a “right-wing article with no attribution to the quote.”

Brandi Kruse, a journalist with the local Fox-owned station in Seattle, did a series of tweets Wednesday night:
Three firm denials from businesses that this is happening:

-Northwest Film Forum
-Northwest Liquor and Wine
-Pel Meni Dumpling Tzar (Worker says they've had no problems with new zone: "I've been talking with neighboring businesses and they're all elated honestly.")
https://Twitter.com/BrandiKruse/status/ ... 81920?s=20

Kruse also tweeted about one business owner who said that he had not encountered any such fee demand, nor did any of his workers — but who had also been “told that a delivery driver was turned away from the zone by gunpoint.”

A report by the local Fox station Q13Fox’s noted: “Multiple business owners told Q13 News they had not seen or heard similar events described by SPD happening during the protest.”

The Sinclair-owned local station KOMO ran a story, “Police make allegations of intimidation, extortion inside Capitol Hill's Autonomous Zone.” The 19th paragraph of the piece noted that the reporter couldn’t find any evidence in support of the claim: ”During our six-hour afternoon visit, we did not see any examples of what police are talking about, but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.”
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Welcome to Chaz

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The CHAZ has its own wiki page now!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol ... omous_Zone

More from a PBS contributor on the CHAZ:

https://www.city-journal.org/antifa-sea ... omous-zone

“ The Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone has set a dangerous precedent: armed left-wing activists have asserted their dominance of the streets and established an alternative political authority over a large section of a neighborhood. They have claimed de facto police power over thousands of residents and dozens of businesses—completely outside of the democratic process. In a matter of days, Antifa-affiliated paramilitaries have created a hardened border, established a rudimentary form of government based on principles of intersectional representation, and forcibly removed unfriendly media from the territory.

The Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone is an occupation and taking of hostages: none of the neighborhood’s residents voted for Antifa as their representative government. Rather than enforce the law, Seattle’s progressive political class capitulated to the mob and will likely make massive concessions over the next few months. This will embolden the Antifa coalition—and further undermine the rule of law in American cities.”

Who woulda thunk it was the leftists that kicked off the armed balkanization of the United States?
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Does Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan consider #CHAZ to be autonomous?

"No ... I think people are making way too much of it."

More of our interview tomorrow on #Q13FOX and Sunday on #TheDivide.

https://Twitter.com/BrandiKruse/status/ ... 00707?s=20

Mayor Durkan on Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone: "I got news for people, its been autonomous my whole lifetime and anybody who knows Capitol Hill knows that to be true." #Q13FOX

https://Twitter.com/BrandiKruse/status/ ... 79008?s=20

Governor Jay Inslee
@GovInslee
· 10h
I spoke with @MayorJenny and her team about the situation on Capitol Hill. Although unpermitted, and we should remember we are still in a pandemic, the area is largely peaceful. Peaceful protests are fundamentally American, and I am hopeful there will be a peaceful resolution.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Fox abandoned any pretense of credibility years ago. It's propaganda for idiots.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

The Mayor’s quote about Capitol Hill is hilarious. Because it’s true. When something bizarre happens in that part of town, we call it Tuesday.

The hysteria on the right about this is hilarious.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Seattle’s Chief of Police, beset by hysteria:

https://komonews.com/news/local/best-sp ... t-precinct

“Call response times in the area normally served by the East Precinct have gone from just over 5 minutes to 18 minutes, Chief Carmen Best said while surveying the boarded-up building Thursday morning that has become the centerpiece for the "CHAZ" movement.

She added secondary calls are taking almost an hour.

"There are people's lives who are affected," Best said. "Emergency calls, which often means somebody's being assaulted, sometimes it's a rape, sometimes it's a robbery, but something bad is happening if it's a top priority call, and we're not able to get there..."”

Ha ha. So quirky!

- Doc
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

https://www.kuow.org/stories/this-26-ye ... blast-ball

This was Sunday night. A good friend of mine had been the night before and been hit in the leg with a flash bang. The next night, I believe, a young white guy drove a car through a barricade around the corner from the main barricade and into a small group of protesters. He got out of his car, waved a gun around, and then ran into the main group of protesters. He shot a black protester, then ran to the police along the main barricade and turned himself in. I think the next morning was when the police withdrew.

That may help explain why the neighborhood isn’t wringing it’s hands over Chaz.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:24 am
Seattle’s Chief of Police, beset by hysteria:

https://komonews.com/news/local/best-sp ... t-precinct

“Call response times in the area normally served by the East Precinct have gone from just over 5 minutes to 18 minutes, Chief Carmen Best said while surveying the boarded-up building Thursday morning that has become the centerpiece for the "CHAZ" movement.

She added secondary calls are taking almost an hour.

"There are people's lives who are affected," Best said. "Emergency calls, which often means somebody's being assaulted, sometimes it's a rape, sometimes it's a robbery, but something bad is happening if it's a top priority call, and we're not able to get there..."”

Ha ha. So quirky!

- Doc
You don’t know the area, but the downtown and East Precincts are literally minutes apart. She it’s the same person who reported that businesses were being extorted, which was based on a series of fake tweets by Andy NGO. The SPD had a ton of officers guarding that barricade 24/7, so it is frankly not believable that they are less able to respond now that they have all those additional officers available.

The SPD has not been especially candid throughout this episode, which is very unfortunate. And anyone that knows the local geography is going to be scratching their heads over some of those numbers.

ETA: CHAZ is a tiny piece of the East Precinct. The SPD still can and has been patrolling the beats within the precinct with vehicles. And the Chief didn’t identify the dates her figures represent. Do they include the dates when the department was tied up defending the barricade? Another reason to be skeptical of the reported numbers.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

RI are you aware of any involvement in the autonomous zone by Antifa? I saw someone post about that on Facebook and when I searched it up for myself that's not at all what I read. Here's a couple of links about the reports in question regarding Antifa involvement. Tell me what you think about this, please? Is this bullsh-it or not?

https://legalinsurrection.com/2020/06/i ... nmjxk30Gy0

https://www.city-journal.org/antifa-sea ... BlDeTt8ofw
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Here are the undemocratic demands from the CHAZ:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/flugennock/s ... 88/photo/1

Some of their demands are actually pretty good. I especially like releasing people from prison who are serving for marijuana-related charges. That one seems like a no-brainer.

- Doc