Trump openly admits to sabotaging Post Office to boost his re-election chances

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Trump openly admits to sabotaging Post Office to boost his re-election chances

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Temp. Admin. wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 am
If Donald J. Trump sabotages the post office, won't that prevent votes FOR him from being mailed in, too? In other words, can't someone with a mail-in ballot just as easily vote for Trump as for Biden?

I respectfully request that someone tell me his motive here.
I respectfully request that you read the lengthy post I made to you.

And please fix the board.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Elphaba
_Emeritus

Re: Trump openly admits to sabotaging Post Office to boost his re-election chances

Post by _Elphaba »

I just read a blurb that said if you want your vote to count you need to mail it by Tuesday, October 20. That's the first day I can send the ballot in here in Utah, and I suspect the same is true for other states as well. I don't know how accurate this is as far as giving the crippled post office enough time to distribute, but mine is going the 20th no matter what.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)
~~Walt Whitman
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Rural voters tend to vote in person because COVID isn't an issue like it is in metro areas. Metro areas vote overwhelmingly Democrat and Rural areas vote overwhelmingly Republican. Hence, Trump's plan is about suppressing votes in a way that he knows will benefit him.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:52 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 pm
WTH isn't this an impeachable offense?
It probably is an impeachable offense and the Republicans who condone such actions in the US Senate should be voted out, provided the people are allowed a means to vote.
Not even close to an impeachable offense.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

subgenius wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:50 am
Molok wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 pm
Subs and Ajax are strangely quiet about this. Has Breitbart not made up a defense for this yet?
I'll bite.
defense for what?
bump
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

subgenius wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:11 pm
subgenius wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:50 am

I'll bite.
defense for what?
bump
Well, if you had a damned brain, you'd know it would be a defense for his voter suppression tactics by hamstringing the USPS. He knows Biden is mopping the floors with him and he could be looking at an embarrassing loss with a legit election, but like any good autocrat, he's trying to use this COVID tragedy to his advantage to retain power by making it more difficult for Democrats to vote. You know, those people who take the virus seriously and don't want to wait in long lines for hours, which is typically the case in Democrat districts. He's even said his home state of Florida should vote mail-in... why? Because it has a Republican governor, he said. He expects and demands loyalty from these spinless dweebs.
"One of the hardest things for me to accept is the fact that Kevin Graham has blonde hair, blue eyes and an English last name. This ugly truth blows any arguments one might have for actual white supremacism out of the water. He's truly a disgrace." - Ajax
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

[quote="Temp. Admin." post_id=1234938 time=1597476551 user_id=19208]
If Donald J. Trump sabotages the post office, won't that prevent votes FOR him from being mailed in, too? In other words, can't someone with a mail-in ballot just as easily vote for Trump as for Biden?

I respectfully request that someone tell me his motive here.
[/quote]

I'll give it a shot, since it's not apparent why a Republican President would actively and openly undermine the post office.

Republicans have spent decades gerrymandering and closing down polling places in non-gop friendly districts. For example, in 1981 the RNC hired goons to police polling stations and did something called voter caging (google it). They've also recently put an inordinate amount of effort into closing down polling stations and whatnot, making it more of a pain in the ass to vote. So you already have the RNC working to make in-person voting more onerous in districts that are considered to be a toss-up. So this leads us to mail-in voting. Historically, most states have required a valid reason to vote by mail. If you did not qualify for this reason, (having an overburdened or extremely far polling place does not qualify), you were forced to vote in person. This disenfranchised a lot of voters.

But now, with mail-in voting being accepted in a majority of states, and even set as the primary method for a few with COVID present, it really screws things up for the GOP. Couple that with Trump's gamble that convincing his voters the virus is no big deal will get them to the polls, while the scaredy cat Democrats will, presumably, stay home. So he spent a very long time building up this giant "virus hoax" to calm his masses. He is simultaneously trying to train them to believe that mail-in voting is fraud, even though he, himself does so, as have many, many of his voters, historically. Remember, he needs to win electoral swing states, and only needs a razor thin margin to pick them up. If the RNC can get this advantage by shaving off ten thousand voters here and there then they get the state and the electoral votes.

What I think Trump didn't account for was states creating blanket acceptances of mail-in voting applications due to COVID or other reasons. That instantly turns the tables, because not only does it undo the removal of polling places, but it also allows the democrats (and the GOP, if they so choose) to vote from the safety and comfort of their homes while avoiding lines, saving time, and not risking COVID. His supporters, however, will be going to polling places in full force, in what will likely be a very bad time for the country as COVID starts to rear its face again between flu-season and school openings (especially in red states that are in denial and have entirely in-person classes). They may not turn up like he thought they would if people are catching COVID in droves.

So then, what happens, is a crap ton of his voters are going to be against voting by mail, and most will have not applied to do so, forcing them to go to the ballots, in what will most likely be a time that the pandemic is gaining speed. His advisors basically layed out the future for him of his dumbass comments, and where they were leading. So, in recent weeks, you've seen him compliment "absentee voting", trying to making it a completely separate thing from "mail-in voting", as not to look like an incompetent liar to his voters. But he knows his advantage still lies at the polling places, so he is simultaneously trying to hinder the USPS from delivering ballots. The number of mail-in voting applications for Democrats FAR surpasses those for Republicans, so while it may cost him a few votes, he is betting that it will cost Democrats so many that his supporters who do show up will be able to tip the scales. He is also taking the approach of preparing to call the election invalid due to the amount of mail-in voting, should he lose.

Anyway. That's the best I can do from what I've read and from what I can observe.

- Doc
_Icarus
_Emeritus

Post by _Icarus »

Postal Service plans to remove 671 high-volume mail processing machines

An internal US Postal Service document obtained by NBC News reveals plans to remove 671 high-volume mail processing machines from postal facilities across the country. The document, circulated in June, is broken out by region and city/state. NBC News’ Geoff Bennett joins to break down his latest.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

The GOP base is so fu-cking stupid...

How stupid are they?

They think Trump is popular enough to win an election while going along with any voter suppression mechanisms their party can employ. Wouldn't they want everyone to vote if they thought Trump was really the majority's choice?

The question is, is it really because they're stupid of just fu-cking liars? Take your pick.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

Thanks for typing all that up, DoctorCamNC4Me. That was very interesting. . . and disturbing.