A more independent government

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: A more independent government

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Nonsense! I live in Northern California, and I assure you that Los Angeles does not get more rainfall than we do. In fact, most of the rainfall in California falls in the Northern half of the state. That's why we have huge aqueducts running from North to South to supply a large part of Southern California's water. You are either telling a bald-faced lie, or you are abysmally ignorant or misinformed. Besides that, even it were true that it rains more there, the sun still shines enough of the time to provide a significant cost savings to homeowners with solar panels installed. This is increasingly true even in some of the wettest areas of the U.S.A., let alone sunnier areas like those in the western part of the U.S.A., like California and Arizona.

Besides, what makes you an authority on what it is like in California? I thought you lived in West Virginia!
I think he means Louisiana, Gunnar. He's mentioned living there before. Louisiana has relatively low electricity rates and lots of cloudy days, so rooftop solar panels may not be a good fit there.

by the way, Stormwater surcharges (paying when it rains) are not unusual, and more and more communities will likely use them as impermeable surfaces and the intensity of precipitation events increase. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwater_fee
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 pm
by the way, Stormwater surcharges (paying when it rains) are not unusual, and more and more communities will likely use them as impermeable surfaces and the intensity of precipitation events increase. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormwater_fee
Up until last year, I think it was, we weren't allowed to collect rainwater in rain barrels for garden use on our own properties. The statute was overturned.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Themis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:15 pm
Ajax is a whiner 99.9% of the time. I would not take what he says seriously. Especially when it is anything the extreme right hates, like protecting the environment.
Yeah. He's so extremely fearful of almost every subject known to man... er, well, known to him, I have to suspect he's not real. I don't really believe a single thing he posts.

I never feel like I'm insulting him personally. I'm insulting the caricature he's created on this board. If he is actually upset by any insults, I suppose that's what's real about him. I don't care one way or the other if he's upset: his idiotic caricature must be thoroughly mocked. To leave that undone is a real disservice. Idiocy is the bigger pandemic in this country.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:10 pm
I think he means Louisiana, Gunnar. He's mentioned living there before. Louisiana has relatively low electricity rates and lots of cloudy days, so rooftop solar panels may not be a good fit there.

:redface: :redface: Of course he must have meant Louisiana! I should have realized that. Having lived in California much of my life, and never having lived in Louisiana, my California centric attitude was showing through in spades. Whenever I see "LA" used to refer to a geographic location, I automatically think "Los Angeles." I should have realized than few people living outside of California would default to using "LA" to mean "Los Angeles." Ajax and you are both right, of course. Solar panels would not be as nearly as advantageous to the average home owner in Louisiana as they would be anywhere in California. But doesn't Ajax live in West Virginia? I get the impression that solar panels would be advantageous there too, but probably not as clearly so as in California.

My sincere apologies to Ajax! :redface: :redface:
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:06 pm
Perhaps the easiest obvious solution to your problem is to install solar power on your home. You'd be surprised and pleased with how soon that paid for itself with power bill savings.
It rains a lot in LA Gunnar. Solar panels don't work as well as they do in the dry western US. Most of the utility bill has to do with wastewater. They literally charge us when it rains to keep up the sewers. Rain actually helped lower the electric bill during the summer by cooling things down. It's hard for the air conditioner to keep up with 105 degree heat when it's dry. But, they now charge you when it rains as a wastewater fee.

Some of friends did buy solar panels based on the governments promise to give half of the money back in a tax break. So instead of $25k, he'd pay $12,500k. Of course the government renegged on that.
:redface: My sincere apologies, Ajax, for not realizing that you must have meant "Louisiana", not "Los Angeles" when you wrote "LA." I admit that your above arguments do indeed have some merit in the case of Louisiana. But don't you live in West Virginia? I would think that even in West Virginia, solar energy would likely save you money, especially considering the high utility bills you said you are experiencing, though probably not as much as if you were living in California.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Well gee........if Ajax did mean Louisiana, isn't that a Donald worshipping state? Didn't hero rich man Donald promise to take care of America after all? Why not just give Donald a phone call Ajax and let him know he is being an as-hole to all of you poor suffering folk who voted for him because he is supposed to be your Savior, and complain to him for not helping out as he promised? Isn't Donald the Federal Government sponsor after all?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_AZCaesar
_Emeritus

Post by _AZCaesar »

ajax18 wrote:...I just hope they're aware that green energy is in large part to blame for it...
ajax18 wrote:...Most of the utility bill has to do with wastewater...
What does wastewater have to do with green energy?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ajax is a good example of fundamentally stupid people who can't think beyond their noses. I'd post this next bit on SS's 'stupid people' thread, but this is topical.

Out of the top 15 earners for states 11 of them are Democratic states. Of the bottom 15 earners 12 of them are Republican. Of the top 12 states that require federally funded money to function. 10 of them are Republican. I know the three sentences are too abstract for our idiots to understand so I'll just pare it down a bit:

If states were self reliant, within a decade (no changes to economy) only 4 Democratic states would go bankrupt compared to 14 Republican states.

You can do the math yourself- https://www.money-rates.com/research-ce ... -state.htm

If that's too much to read, as I suspect it is, Hillary Clinton won counties that accounted for 64% of our GDP. We're literally governed by a pro wrestling Hall of Fame idiot because the least educated, welfare queen areas of the country decided we should be governed by Trump.

- Doc
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Out of the top 15 earners for states 11 of them are Democratic states. Of the bottom 15 earners 12 of them are Republican. Of the top 12 states that require federally funded money to function. 10 of them are Republican. I know the three sentences are too abstract for our idiots to understand so I'll just pare it down a bit:

If states were self reliant, within a decade (no changes to economy) only 4 Democratic states would go bankrupt compared to 14 Republican states.

You can do the math yourself- https://www.money-rates.com/research-ce ... -state.htm

If that's too much to read, as I suspect it is, Hillary Clinton won counties that accounted for 64% of our GDP. We're literally governed by a pro wrestling Hall of Fame idiot because the least educated, welfare queen areas of the country decided we should be governed by Trump.
If any of that were true, you wouldn't be voting for more welfare for us and higher taxes for you each year.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:09 pm

If any of that were true, you wouldn't be voting for more welfare for us and higher taxes for you each year.
Um, you know there are people like me who would happily pay higher taxes as the price of sleeping well in my bed, knowing that none of my fellow citizens (yup, even the rather stupid and feckless ones) were in actual want through lack of adequate food, lodging and medical care.

Weird, isn't it? Maybe it comes from the time I used to believe in a religion started by this guy Jesus ("inasmuch as ye did it not unto the least of these my brethren, ye did it not unto me ... depart from me ye cursed, I never knew you"). Or maybe it is just that I have found that spending even a small amount of time and money doing good things for people makes me feel much, much better, and in a more lasting way, than spending money on stuff for myself that I don't really need.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.