2k Stimulus Checks?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

2k Stimulus Checks?

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Trump is saying he is considering asking for a $2k stimulus check to pass the Covid relief bill. Tonight he got an unlikely ally:
TAMPA (WFLA) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday night responded to President Trump’s call for an increase in stimulus funds following Congress’s passage of the COVID-19 relief package this week, saying she’s ready to push for the $2,000 checks the president requested.

“Republicans repeatedly refused to say what amount the President wanted for direct checks,” Pelosi tweeted, placing the blame on GOP lawmakers. “At last, the President has agreed to $2,000 — Democrats are ready to bring this to the Floor this week by unanimous consent. Let’s do it!”
To quote Bob Dylan "Something is happening but you don't know what it is."

A lot of the GOP wanted $300 checks. The Democrats pushed hard for $600. Trump wants $2k? I think he wants to be remembered by his going-away present. If you're going to give that kind of money, I think it would be better in 2 payments rather than one.

For Pelosi it could be a smart political move. She gets to drive a wedge between Trump and most of the GOP. This is going to be an interesting power struggle. I don't think we're going to see $2k checks, but the political fallout could be significant. Trump/Pelosi could be the most unlikely pact since Molotov/Ribbentrop.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Re: 2k Stimulus Checks?

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

Dear MeDotOrg:

Please re-post this in our new site, DiscussMormonism.com. Thank you.