Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Re: Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

Post by Nomomo »

I realize the incident was an accident but, only a total freaking gawddamned moron would believe Alec Baldwin saying that he never pulled the trigger. This recent BS story was suggested by his lawyers for obvious reasons. If this lie was true he would have been saying so from day one, not weeks later. People in trouble always lie.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Is there anyone in this forum so ridiculously stupid that they believe that Alec Baldwin never pulled the trigger? If so, please speak up now so that everyone will know from here on out without any shadow of doubt that you are a damned moron!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Nomomo wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:43 pm
Is there anyone in this forum so ridiculously stupid that they believe that Alec Baldwin never pulled the trigger? If so, please speak up now so that everyone will know from here on out without any shadow of doubt that you are a damned moron!
It's my understanding that it's possible. If you like, I can get the person who explained it to me to repeat the explanation and I'll post it here.

Still...I don't know why Baldwin couldn't be charged with involuntary manslaughter but I'm not in the mood to go over the state statutes again, so I don't know.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Nomomo wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 pm
I realize the incident was an accident but, only a total freaking gawddamned moron would believe Alec Baldwin saying that he never pulled the trigger. This recent B.S. story was suggested by his lawyers for obvious reasons. If this lie was true he would have been saying so from day one, not weeks later. People in trouble always lie.
He has been saying it since day one and so has the eye witness who confirmed it. Know what you're talking about.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Haven't you noticed that every time a right wing gun nut ("gun safety instructor" or accidental shootings involving kids shooting each other) they always say "it just went off!" Nobody blinks an eye....

I guess by that logic the right wing's favorite strawman is true.. guns do kill people...
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

I suspect that when he pulled the hammer back he didn't pull it back far enough so when he let it go, it fired. The director who was within a foot from him insists his finger was outside the trigger guard parallel to the barrel.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

K Graham wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:03 am
I suspect that when he pulled the hammer back he didn't pull it back far enough so when he let it go, it fired. The director who was within a foot from him insists his finger was outside the trigger guard parallel to the barrel.
That's exactly what the resident expert said could have happened. Exactly.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Alec Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed will be charged with 2 counts of involuntary manslaughter each. It's all over the internet.

ETA: Make that...have been charged. Whatevs. It's happening.

Special Report: Alec Baldwin and armorer charged in 'Rust' movie set shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdBHHl14ENk

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

And the third person took a plea

Alec Baldwin and prop armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed will both be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the Western drama Rust. After a more than year-long investigation into the October 21 incident, Santa Fe County district attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced the charges Thursday.

The 42-year-old Hutchins died after a gun Baldwin was holding for a rehearsal fired a live round of ammunition into her chest, passing through and striking writer-director Joel Souza in the shoulder. The movie’s assistant director, Dave Halls, who was cited in sheriff’s reports as the person who handed the weapon to Baldwin and announced to the crew it was a “cold gun,” signed a plea bargain with the DA for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon, accepting a suspended sentence and six months of probation.

The DA appointed special prosecutor Andrea Reeb to oversee the case. “If any one of these three people—Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gutierrez Reed or David Halls—had done their job, Halyna Hutchins would be alive today. It’s that simple,” Reeb said in a statement. “The evidence clearly shows a pattern of criminal disregard for safety on the ‘Rust’ film set. In New Mexico, there is no room for film sets that don’t take our state’s commitment to gun safety and public safety seriously.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... arged-rust
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

More interesting details

Gutierrez Reed’s attorney, Jason Bowles, has previously said she was working under distracting and stressful conditions while preparing the gun. After the DA’s announcement, he issued this statement: “Hannah is, and has always been, very emotional and sad about this tragic accident. But she did not commit involuntary manslaughter. These charges are the result of a very flawed investigation, and an inaccurate understanding of the full facts. We intend to bring the full truth to light and believe Hannah will be exonerated of wrongdoing by a jury.”

In addition to the bullet that killed Hutchins, investigators found five additional live rounds of ammunition mingled among the movie’s props and costumes. Two loose .45 bullets were discovered on top of a prop cart, a third was in a bandolier worn by actor Jensen Ackles, a fourth was in a gun belt worn by Baldwin, and a fifth was found in a box of dummy ammunition with Gutierrez Reed’s fingerprints on it. (Dummy rounds are fake bullets that look real, but are completely inert and have no gunpowder in them.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Contrary to widespread online gossip, investigators found no evidence that other crew members were taking the prop weapons on Rust and loading them with real bullets for target practice on the desert set.

The charges against all three individuals reflect how Hutchins’s death appears to be the result of numerous mistakes and failures during the production, an event cascade chronicled in VF’s previous report “How the Gun in Alec Baldwin’s Hands Turned the Rust Set Deadly.”

Two Competing Charges

Baldwin and Gutierrez Reed will each face two charges of involuntary manslaughter because the jury will be asked to choose between the two counts.

According to the district attorney’s announcement: “The first charge can be referred to simply as involuntary manslaughter. For this charge to be proved there must be underlying negligence. Under New Mexico law, involuntary manslaughter is a fourth-degree felony and is punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $5,000 fine. This charge also includes the misdemeanor charge of negligent use of a firearm, which would likely merge as a matter of law.

“The other charge is involuntary manslaughter in the commission of a lawful act,” the statement continues. “This charge requires proof that there was more than simple negligence involved in a death. This is also a fourth-degree felony punishable by up to 18 months in jail and up to a $5,000 fine. This charge includes a firearm enhancement, or added mandatory penalty because a firearm was involved. The firearm enhancement makes the crime punishable by a mandatory five years in jail.”

“There is a very clear process for pursuing justice in this case,” Carmack-Altwies said in a statement. “We are committed to upholding the integrity of that process to ensure equal justice under the law.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... arged-rust