Russian Invasion of Ukraine

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Re: Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by MeDotOrg »

From the New York Times:
A military aircraft has crashed in a residential area of the southern Russian town of Yeysk, killing at least four people and injuring up to 25.

An apartment block was set on fire and emergency services called in. A nearby school was evacuated, reports say.

Russia's defence ministry said the plane, a Su-34 fighter bomber, was on a training flight when one of its engines caught fire on Monday evening.

The pilots in the aircraft ejected before the crash, the ministry said.

Footage has emerged apparently showing local residents trying to help one of the pilots lying on the ground nearby with a parachute behind him.

"According to a report from the pilots, who jettisoned from the plane, the reason for the crash was a fire in one of the engines during take-off," the Russian defence ministry said in a statement.

When Russian fighter/bombers start falling out of the sky on their own civilians...not a great look for a 'special operation' that was supposed to be over months ago.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

WHAT?!?!?!?! What IS this? Is this for real? Is this a flippin' JOKE??

41 second video short

Putin to the West: ‘Let's stop being enemies’ | USA TODAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Wfq8ACmrk
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Rockets or missiles reported to have landed in Poland near Ukrainian border, killing 2
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ru ... b08f4b4b7f

crap.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Just your monthly reminder that these are the people that Mormon temple-worthy and priesthood-holder William “Moscow” Schryver supports:

https://Twitter.com/noelreports/status/ ... 5560008720
Rogozin and Solovyov say they want to take Kyiv, Berlin, Budapest and Vienna. Someone explain to them that Vienna is the capital of a country that is not even in NATO, and Budapest, as it were, did not even supply a clip of cartridges to Ukraine.
William “the Mormon Muscovite” Schryver has thrown in with genocidal maniacs.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:33 pm
"Taking" a city does not equal committing genocide.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:05 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:33 pm
"Taking" a city does not equal committing genocide.
connected with the murder of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group
Further reading on the use of ‘genocidal’ with regard to Russia’s actions in Ukraine:

https://www.justsecurity.org/81564/comp ... -genocide/
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

This is worth tucking into this thread - German far-Right:
This morning in Germany, 130 homes raided, caches of weapons seized, 52 arrested as a mix of pro-russian nuts, Qanon nuts, former AFD members, former East German military nuts, descendents of German nobility..all planned a violent coup.
* note: AFD is basically their Tea 🎉

Weird. Weird how one country waaaaaaay over there is experiencing the same exact political ‘awakenings’ as the GOP here is. Weird. Odd. Totally random, I’m sure. Totally not related to geopolitical strategies by an authoritarian regime bent on conquering large swaths of territory in Europe. So crazy.

- Doc
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:43 pm
This is worth tucking into this thread - German far-Right:
This morning in Germany, 130 homes raided, caches of weapons seized, 52 arrested as a mix of pro-russian nuts, Qanon nuts, former AFD members, former East German military nuts, descendents of German nobility..all planned a violent coup.
* note: AFD is basically their Tea 🎉

Weird. Weird how one country waaaaaaay over there is experiencing the same exact political ‘awakenings’ as the GOP here is. Weird. Odd. Totally random, I’m sure. Totally not related to geopolitical strategies by an authoritarian regime bent on conquering large swaths of territory in Europe. So crazy.

- Doc
I look at the power stations blowing up in North Carolina and wonder if it isn't exploratory action by a far right group. But your Reddit post was spot on:
CNN wrote:German officials arrested 22 suspected members and three suspected supporters of a far-right terrorist organization across the country on Wednesday on suspicion of plotting to overthrow the government.

A former far-right member of the Bundestag, Germany’s lower house of parliament, is connected to the plot, according to reporting by German public broadcaster ARD.

In a statement, the German federal prosecutor’s office said an estimated 50 people were suspected to have been part of the group called Reich Citizens movement, founded no later than November 2021, who were plotting to overthrow the government and replace it with their own order.

“The accused are united by a deep rejection of state institutions and the free democratic basic order of the Federal Republic of Germany, which over time has led to their decision to participate in their violent elimination and to engage in concrete preparatory actions for this purpose,” the statement said.

“The members of the group follow a conglomerate of conspiracy myths consisting of narratives of the so-called Reichsbürger as well as QAnon ideology.”
As to why this is happening now, I think this is what tribalism looks like in the Internet Age. The more stresses and strains there are in everyday life, the more people look for simple narratives to show them a way out. What most of these groups share in common is a belief that most problems are caused by 'the other', namely people not like us.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Seeing this makes my heart so happy.

Pres. Zelensky in the United States to meet with Pres. Biden and address Congress. Last night I prayed for him a safe trip and that he might get a much needed good night's sleep at the White House knowing he is safe and protected. I have no idea what his living conditions are in Ukraine right now. I just pray he gets a reprieve from the stress he's been under for almost a year and is treated with the comfort, respect, and dignity that he is due.

God bless this courageous and determined man. He could've taken the ride out of Ukraine. Instead, he stayed and dug in his heels. Amazing man!

Zelensky arrives at White House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUuSCg2xz44

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I love this man so much. Lord, I love a fighter. He has earned worldwide respect and rightfully so. He could have chosen privilege. He chose his country. That's a good, good, man right there.

Listen to Zelensky's message to Americans from the Oval Office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-wNOSfeMME

Slava Ukraini!