Supreme Court Overturning Roe v Wade

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Supreme Court Overturning Roe v Wade

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:08 am
ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:46 am

What exactly does late term abortion mean then?
Exactly! Link to the bill.
Link the bill, Xanax. You know, since you made the claim.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:16 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:08 am

Exactly! Link to the bill.
Link the bill, Xanax. You know, since you made the claim.

- Doc
Ajax, as it was you who introduced the phrase "late abortion," you should at least define it. The gestational length of a normal pregnancy generally ranges between 38 and 42 weeks. So, when is an abortion a "late abortion?"
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Here’s a link to the bill -

https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr37 ... 755pcs.pdf

Note pages 18 and 19, and these portions:

(a) GENERAL RULE.—A health care provider has a statutory right under this Act to provide abortion services, and may provide abortion services, and that provider’s patient has a corresponding right to receive such services, without any of the following limitations or requirements:

(8) A prohibition on abortion at any point or points in time prior to fetal viability, including a prohibition or restriction on a particular abortion procedure.

(9) A prohibition on abortion after fetal viability when, in the good-faith medical judgment of the treating health care provider, continuation of the pregnancy would pose a risk to the pregnant patient’s life or health.

I don’t see anything here to support ajax’s claim that ‘late term abortions’, whatever that means, are allowed for any reason. The exclusion listed here are the same as currently exist for when the mother’s life is endangered. And there’s no exclusion for rape or incest after the point of viability.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:55 am
Here’s a link to the bill -

https://www.congress.gov/117/bills/hr37 ... 755pcs.pdf

Note pages 18 and 19, and these portions:

(a) GENERAL RULE.—A health care provider has a statutory right under this Act to provide abortion services, and may provide abortion services, and that provider’s patient has a corresponding right to receive such services, without any of the following limitations or requirements:

(8) A prohibition on abortion at any point or points in time prior to fetal viability, including a prohibition or restriction on a particular abortion procedure.

(9) A prohibition on abortion after fetal viability when, in the good-faith medical judgment of the treating health care provider, continuation of the pregnancy would pose a risk to the pregnant patient’s life or health.

I don’t see anything here to support ajax’s claim that ‘late term abortions’, whatever that means, are allowed for any reason. The exclusion listed here are the same as currently exist for when the mother’s life is endangered. And there’s no exclusion for rape or incest after the point of viability.
And you won’t find anywhere except in the imaginations of people who swallow propaganda instead of taking the time to find out the facts. All this bill would do is enact the holding of Casey into federal law. Casey changed the trimester basis of Roe into a single point — viability. Before viability, the states cannot prohibit abortions or impose unduly burdensome requirements. After viability, the only limitation on the states’ power is when the life our health of the pregnant woman is at stake.

Viability is around 25 weeks. Around 99% of abortions are performed before 21 weeks.
he/him

K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

So basically Ajax doesn't know what he's talking anout. Again.

Shocker.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

The difference is we won’t be forcing poor women to have children they can’t afford.
Nobody is forcing poor women to have children they can't afford now. They still do, and in far more quantity that women of means. . The only real solution to overpopulation is economic growth. If women can't find good jobs, they're going to have more babies.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:11 pm
The difference is we won’t be forcing poor women to have children they can’t afford.
Nobody is forcing poor women to have children they can't afford now. They still do, and in far more quantity that women of means. . The only real solution to overpopulation is economic growth. If women can't find good jobs, they're going to have more babies.

You mean to say that no-one is forcing poor women to become pregnant.

It’s quite a different matter to force a woman, once pregnant, to then wait 9 months to allow sperm and egg to develop and be birthed as a baby.

The difference is illustrated by this picture of cake -

Is it cake, yet?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:11 pm
Actually, poor women are being forced to have children they can't afford. A number of states have concentrated on making access to abortion services difficult, if not impossible, in their states. Obstacles to accessibility affect the poor the most. Sure, some poor women undoubtedly choose to have a child or children they can't afford. But that doesn't mean that other poor women aren't forced to bear children against their will by obstacles placed in their way by state governments.

And expect that situation to increase in your state, as more poor women are forced to give birth.
he/him

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Actually, poor women are being forced to have children they can't afford. A number of states have concentrated on making access to abortion services difficult, if not impossible, in their states. Obstacles to accessibility affect the poor the most. Sure, some poor women undoubtedly choose to have a child or children they can't afford. But that doesn't mean that other poor women aren't forced to bear children against their will by obstacles placed in their way by state governments.
Birth control is plenty effective. The overwhelming majority of women get pregnant because they chose to not due to some pharmacological failure.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:21 pm
Birth control is plenty effective. The overwhelming majority of women get pregnant because they chose to not due to some pharmacological failure.
That doesn't respond at all to my point about women being forced to bear children against their will. A few years ago, a study found that 1/4 of women had an abortion before age 45. That's lots of women who chose not to give birth.

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/f ... 017.304042
he/him