Belief in God

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Belief in God

Post by Chap »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:06 pm
Chap wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:37 am

That point is very important. People in who live in countries that have historically imposed or accepted pretty well universal belief in one of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) often talk as if there is only one well-known entity called <insert deity name here> whom one either believes in or does not believe in.

[...]
[...] A person may feel sure about their received tradition such as the Bible and believe God on that basis. If this path is followed then being sure which description is right would be necessary to believe in God.

[...] Certainly there are religious traditions more widely divergent in understanding than these two . Perhaps they would not all feel comfortable saying God exists but I think there would still be some common ground in back of there divergent views.
Our exchange illustrates an important point: The use of the term 'God' (where capitalisation of the word and the omission of any article suggests we are talking about some single and well-known personal entity like 'Trump' or 'Putin') comes close to committing the logical fallacy known as 'begging the question', i.e. assuming the conclusion in the argument intended to prove the conclusion. But there are, and have been, many people in the world who would react to hearing people talking about 'God' by saying 'what's that?''.

Speaking for myself, I have to say that I find that it is quite hard to get a satisfactory answer to that rather obvious question from people who strongly affirm the position that 'God' exists.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I used to believe in god, but he stopped performing up to his usual standards when he went to the Raiders. That's when Jerry Rice turned mortal.

But when he was in his prime, yeah, I really believed in him.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:21 am
It was a rhetorical question.
Veritas, rhetorical questions are questions asked to make a point. Are you trying to say that it makes as much sense to believe in the spaghetti monster as it does to believe in God?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:39 am
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:51 am
Why shouldn't I believe in God?
Shouldn't? What does that even mean? I saw your similar post in Terrestrial and replied.
Jersey Girl, I guess I'm interested in what reasons there are for not believing in God.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:48 am
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:51 am
Why shouldn't I believe in God?
Why should you believe in a particular God, of a particular description crafted by other people?
Well, Canpakes, I'm a Latter-day Saint, so the only qualifications I make about the concept of one god in general (who is in control of everything, and therefore I use the capital 'G'), are that said God is good, loves us, and is willing to answer questions we ask Her/Him about Herself/Himself. What are the reasons for not believing in such a deity?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Chap wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:37 am
So, KevinSim - which deity are you asking about?
Chap, I'm asking about the one good deity that is in control of the universe.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:28 pm
The only reason I can think of would be if your belief in God caused you to mistreat your fellow humans.
Great answer, Res Ipsa. I'm pretty sure my belief doesn't compel me to mistreat others, and I'm always trying to improve.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:21 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:28 pm
The only reason I can think of would be if your belief in God caused you to mistreat your fellow humans.
Great answer, Res Ipsa. I'm pretty sure my belief doesn't compel me to mistreat others, and I'm always trying to improve.
My stance for quite a while now has been that if believing in God helps you be a better person, why should I try to talk you out of it?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Chap wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:52 am
But there are, and have been, many people in the world who would react to hearing people talking about 'God' by saying 'what's that?''.
Chap, in other threads I have described God as whoever is preserving forever those good things that will last forever.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:18 pm
I used to believe in god, but he stopped performing up to his usual standards when he went to the Raiders. That's when Jerry Rice turned mortal.
Some Schmo, at least Jerry Rice is real. When I think of God, sometimes I think of Leto Atreides II, who alas, is fictional. The human race sure needs him, though.