Illusory Truth Effect

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Illusory Truth Effect

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:40 pm
The real reason white supremacists like you are so excited about Musk taking over Twitter is that you think it means you now have carte blanche to make racist remarks.
What exactly were these racist remarks? Like quoting the constitution? Submitting evidence that COVID-19 began in a Wuhan lab rather than through bats?
Speaking of information and truth, I never quite appreciated the conservative messaging on this one.

“The virus was created in a Wuhan lab, proving that the Chi-Coms are out to get us … so don’t you dare wear a mask, or get a vaccine, or do anything that might make their plans less effective ..!!”

How does that work for you, exactly?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

One the most irrational illusory truths repeated relentlessly by the right is that their main solution to practically any conceivable or perceived societal ill or danger is massive tax cuts for the immensely wealthy who are the least in need of tax breaks, to be paid for by everyone else, including the most impoverished of us. They really don't have much, if anything, else in their agenda, other than massive voter suppression.
This budget’s primary purpose is to provide reconciliation instructions for tax reform, but the Republican plan is not tax reform – it is a $2.4 trillion tax cut for the wealthy at the expense of everyone else. The inequities are startling. Under this plan, a family making $50,000 a year could be subject to a tax increase, while millionaires get a $230,000 tax break.

This is step one of the GOP’s three steps to giving to the rich and making American families pay for it Republicans are trying to take away critical investments and benefits in a deceitful three-step process:

Step 1: Cut taxes for the rich, and claim that economic growth will pay for it.
Step 2: Pretend to be shocked when the deficit explodes; insist that the only way to fix it is through more spending cuts.
Step 3: Cut important benefits for American families, like Medicare, Social Security, and education assistance, while doing nothing to make millionaires pay their fair share.
Gives a massive tax cut to millionaires ― Millionaires get an average tax cut of $230,000 each year, once the plan is fully phased in 2027. This is more than 75 percent of all the tax cuts in the plan. Households earning less than $100,000 are not even getting 10 percent of the total benefit.

Middle class pays for the tax cuts for big corporations, wealthy partnerships, and rich estates ― Individual income taxes actually go up by $471 billion, while big corporations, wealthy passthroughs, and rich estates get their taxes cut by $2.9 trillion.

Don’t be fooled – this is not a tax cut for the middle class ― While the wealthy are front and center in this tax cut, middle-class families are an afterthought. For every provision in the Republican plan which might help the middle class, Republicans take away other middle-class tax benefits, and many see their taxes go up. By 2027, nearly 30 percent of households earning $50k to $150k would see a tax increase, and 45 percent of all households with children face a tax increase.

It leads to trillions of dollars in more debt ― The plan would add $2.4 trillion to the debt in the first ten years, and trillions more after that. For years, Republicans have been saying that they have to cut programs like Medicare and education because of the deficit, but now that they plan to pass a tax bill, trillion-dollar deficits no longer matter.

Claims on economic growth are repeatedly proven false ― A massive tax cut for the wealthy will not grow the economy, will not create jobs, and will not raise wages for the middle class. History proves it: trickle-down economics failed in the 1980s, it failed under President George W. Bush, and it just failed spectacularly in Kansas.

We need bipartisan tax reform, not partisan tax cuts ― Republicans plan to use reconciliation so that they can give a tax cut to the rich without any Democratic votes. But this resolution’s estimates and reconciliation instructions omit the plan’s gigantic deficit increases and ignore the challenges facing hard-working American families. This is not tax reform. Democrats are ready to do real tax reform that benefits hard-working American families.
Jesse Dollemore went so far as to suggest that even if a killer asteroid were detected on a collision course with the earth, Republicans' first suggestion to address this danger would be even more additional tax cuts for the very wealthy! I am not at all sure that he is wrong about that!
Last edited by Gunnar on Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Robert Reich nails it here with the three biggest GOP lies during the midterms: Crime rates, Inflation, and Taxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ZVDwUXpI8

But the Right Wing media is shamelessly bombarding us with these lies because, the illusory truth effect.
313315098_650671016515308_1713528036691164002_n.jpg
313315098_650671016515308_1713528036691164002_n.jpg (62.9 KiB) Viewed 260 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Can it be any more obvious that wealthy corporations are deliberately trying to actually maximize inflation by price gouging to further maximize their already record high profit margins so they can blame Democrats for the resulting inflation while using much of their ever-increasing profits to further lobby and bribe politicians to do their will?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Summers: Biden’s Windfall Oil Tax Plan Is Same ‘Hostility to Hydrocarbons’ that Has Decreased Energy Supply
On Tuesday’s broadcast of CNN’s “Situation Room,” Harvard Professor, economist, Director of the National Economic Council under President Barack Obama, and Treasury Secretary under President Bill Clinton Larry Summers criticized President Joe Biden’s threatened windfall profits tax on oil and argued that it “would discourage investment in oil, which would ultimately mean higher oil prices.” And that as we’re working out of “some of the problems that were created by an excess of hostility to hydrocarbons a couple of years ago” that has decreased the energy supply, “now we’re taking another hostile to hydrocarbons act.”

Summers stated, “I think the fear is that if we establish that whenever the price of oil went up substantially, we were going to impose windfall profits taxes, the incentive in being able to drill for oil would be diminished because you wouldn’t feel like when the best case for you happened and your oil was really needed, you wouldn’t feel like you could reap the full reward of it. So, I think it would discourage investment in oil, which would ultimately mean higher oil prices. I also think that — I think that’s the important effect. I think there’s a secondary effect that if you reduce the cash flow of those businesses, less cash flow in is probably going to mean less investment out. But I think the important thing is that any time you tax something or signal that you’re going to tax something in the future, you discourage people’s incentive to produce it. And I think we’re just working our way out of the problems that were created — some of the problems that were created by an excess of hostility to hydrocarbons a couple of years ago and if there hadn’t been that excess hostility, we’d probably have some more hydrocarbons today and now we’re taking another hostile to hydrocarbons act.”
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/11 ... gy-supply/

As Gad told me early on in Biden's reign, "Nobody owes you cheap gas Ajax. You can drive an electric car. Nobody owes you cheap electricity. Learn to live in 80 degree summer heat. And the biggest gaslighting of all, you've benefited from inflation. You're just to dumb to realize it. What are you guys worried about? You wanted high gas prices as part of your green agenda. And now you have it.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:10 pm
LOOK SQUIRREL!!!

Why are you even here? You're reading what people from the other side argue and instead of paying attention you insist on regurgitating Brietbart. You're nothing more than a troll. You've never engaged any conversation in good faith. Every time we refute your nonsense you either vanish for a month or change the subject and start whining about another grievance based on a Brietbart piece. There is no evidence energy prices are due to anything Biden has done. By your own admission, inflation began under Trump. That's just the plain fact. No amount of spin or lying is going to change that fact.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:10 pm
You wanted high gas prices as part of your green agenda. And now you have it.

ajax, in another thread, I was curious on your take on these things, and asked the following:

1. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as raising the cost of gasoline to the end user, relative to the cost per barrel?

2. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as affecting the cost per barrel?

Any thoughts?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

1. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as raising the cost of gasoline to the end user, relative to the cost per barrel?

2. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as affecting the cost per barrel?

Any thoughts on these?
I think the answer to both of these questions is in the article. You don't need a law to pass in order to spook investors. Just saying we're going to tax oil companies is enough to scare away investors.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gas was $3.12 in Virginia as of a few days ago. I came home after a work call in Chicago and it’s $4.15 per gallon in a heavily Red state. Can Ajax explain why gas is more expensive in a Red state versus a purple one?

^ ?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:19 pm
Gas was $3.12 in Virginia as of a few days ago. I came home after a work call in Chicago and it’s $4.15 per gallon in a heavily Red state. Can Ajax explain why gas is more expensive in a Red state versus a purple one?

^ ?

- Doc
It is only $2.93 here in Blue Georgia.