Will the Republic as we know it end?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Will the Republic as we know it end?

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:33 am
Big Mac wrappers are classified??

You're losing your touch.
What about the Top Secret sauce?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:58 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:

What about the Top Secret sauce?
Exactly. If only Shades kept a finger on the political pulse like we do, he'd have seen the MacAnon drop about this only a little while back.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:55 pm
He declassified all the Big Mac wrappers just by thinking about it and then eating the contents.

That was one of Moksha's better ones, I thought, especially since it's likely Trump wouldn't know the classification difference between nuclear secrets and a Big Mac wrapper.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:22 pm
That was one of Moksha's better ones, I thought, especially since it's likely Trump wouldn't know the classification difference between nuclear secrets and a Big Mac wrapper.
He certainly treats them with equal care.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:

I agree. That was certainly one of Moksha's bests, and that Trump had no more concern about the privacy and classification of classical secrets than about Big Mac wrappers.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:41 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
He certainly treats them with equal care.
Obviously! Shameful, isn't it?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I really hope the media, to include social media, starves this clown of oxygen. He was a sideshow curiosity that became President due to the billions of free advertising everyone gave him. Leave him to the Parler crowd and let the rest of us discuss other things that require our attention.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:17 am
I really hope the media, to include social media, starves this clown of oxygen. He was a sideshow curiosity that became President due to the billions of free advertising everyone gave him. Leave him to the Parler crowd and let the rest of us discuss other things that require our attention.

- Doc
Agreed.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:38 pm
. . .There are enough American who did not say it, may have been somewhat unaware of thinking it, but nevertheless felt something like this. Oh my god a black president the country is going down the drain we need a truly white guy who is a macho business boss guy.
I am sure you're right about that. That is exactly what the people whom Trump was able to dupe into following him were thinking, whether or not they overtly expressed that view (though some of them actually came right out and explicitly said so). It seems obvious to me that Trump himself definitely felt that way, and he correctly guessed that there were just enough American voters whose latent bigotry enabled them to be duped into voting for him to enable his election. It broke my heart to find out that there were still enough of my fellow Americans with sufficient residual bigotry in their hearts to make that possible.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 am

Is that what would have happened? Did you forget who was still in charge on that day?

All that the rioters really needed to do was to collect inside, and set up a sit-down strike. Do you believe that the Capitol police or National Guard would really start kicking ass on 1000 MAGA protestors that were peacefully refusing to leave? Trump still even managed to tell those same protesters how they were wronged and hated and stolen from - almost as if trying to nudge the crowd into renewed anger - during his video request arguably suggesting that they ‘go home’, which he made three hours after realizing that he had no plan for them and no balls or intellect to formulate and be responsible for one, and that no one else was going to step up in his place and create a takeover plan for him (calling Mike PenceMike, are you there? Mike?).

Had anyone in that crowd really thought this through, an effective occupation could have begun that day, and Trump - once someone else was responsible for putting the plan into action - would have ridden that horse as far as it would have taken him in the name of ‘the people’. And, even if that lasted for only 24 hours before falling apart, or the military gently dragging off the occupiers, it most definitely would be the only example in modern US history - and a blatant one, at that - of an insurrection.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insurrection

The above isn't an insurrection, although the Jan 6 committee really tried to sell that hard and even hired a TV director to make it look more menacing. Protests, even misguided ones, aren't an insurrection, unless disagreement is somehow morphed into something different. However, there were definitely violent clashes with police and that should be condemned. Sure, there is a continuum regarding behavior, but, as you point out, the protesters left eventually. There clearly wasn't a plan to take over the government. And afterward, Biden was officially elected by the electoral college. The constitution worked. There wasn't a plan by Trump to become a dictator or to remain in office. Trump left. He left kicking and screaming, but left nonetheless.

So, some of the questions I have are why did the capitol police let some of the protesters through? Who opened the big doors from the inside? Were there FBI informants mixed in the crowd?(the FBI director won't answer this question and some criminal defense attorneys were just informed, late, that there were FBI informants in the Proud Boys and another of the groups that were part of Jan 6) Why the refusal to have more security as Trump claims to have asked Nancy Pelosi to do?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.