The Orangeman Cometh

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: The Orangeman Cometh

Post by Some Schmo »

I've read a couple journalists call the speech "low energy."

hehehe
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Oh my gosh. I looked up thd headline MeDotOrg posted, here is the first part of a cnn piece:
The New York Post just brutally trolled Donald Trump

Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large
Updated 3:14 PM EST, Wed November 16, 2022

(CNN)If you're looking for the most brutal treatment of Donald Trump's presidential announcement, look no further. The New York Post has won the title.

In a story headlined "Been there, Don that" that ran on page 26 in print, the New York Post absolutely eviscerates the former president. The story was teased at the bottom of the front page with: "Florida man makes announcement." (Shout out to Yahoo News' Dylan Stableford for flagging!)

A sampling of the article:

"With just 720 days to go before the next election, a Florida retiree made the surprise announcement that he was running for president."

"Avid golfer Donald J. Trump kicked things off at Mar-a-Lago, his resort and classified-documents library."

"Trump, famous for gold-plated lobbies and for firing people on reality television, will be 78 in 2024."

"His cholesterol levels are unknown, but his favorite food is a charred steak with ketchup."

And then, in the final line of the story: "Trump also served as the 45th president."

It's brutal. Every. Single. Word.

It's also not the first time that the New York Post, which is controlled by media mogul Rupert Murdoch, has gone after Trump of late. Last week, the Post's cover image depicted Trump as Humpty Dumpty with the caption: "Don (who couldn't build a wall) had a great fall -- can all the GOP's men put the party back together again?"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yeah, that little piece was deliciously savage in its reduction of Trump's bloated ego.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

It is remarkable, but not surprising, that Trump sycophants such as Lindsey Graham and Kevin McCarthy have praised Trump's announcement as a great speech! How can any rational person regard a speech with so many easily demonstrable lies as a great speech? I find it hilarious that many tried to leave before the end of his speech but were prevented by security from doing so.

I hope his popularity will only continue to wane between now and 2024!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

At the 2020 election I bet one of my right side sons $100 that Trump would lose to Biden. I then parlayed that $ into a bet that Trump would be in jail before the 2024 election. I think my coming $400 is secure. In other words, I see all of Trumps antics as but a flailing fish about to say hello to an icebox.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dantana wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:37 am
At the 2020 election I bet one of my right side sons $100 that Trump would lose to Biden. I then parlayed that $ into a bet that Trump would be in jail before the 2024 election. I think my coming $400 is secure. In other words, I see all of Trumps antics as but a flailing fish about to say hello to an icebox.
You are a lot more optimistic than I am.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:34 pm

You are a lot more optimistic than I am.

Yep. I understand. When I won the 2020 election bet I figured that boy would just cry foul. Trump was cheated. To avoid that I figured to just go parlay on spec. Knowing that Trump's crimes at that time were prob. not enough to send him, but figured that those were just the tip of the iceberg. Something bigger would turn up. So, I made the bet Trump would be in jail by 2024 election. Something bigger has turned up. Mar-a lago docs. Will it put him in jail before 2024? Maybe not, but -

Now, I was hoping Binger would show up and throw down on this bet, and I was wanting to keep my hole cards down, but you've called me now Kish. So, I figure, if Trump is indicted he will have to turn himself in to be arraigned. He won't see the inside of a cell but he will be at least temporarily in custody. = Jail. I win.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dantana wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:03 am
Yep. I understand. When I won the 2020 election bet I figured that boy would just cry foul. Trump was cheated. To avoid that I figured to just go parlay on spec. Knowing that Trump's crimes at that time were prob. not enough to send him, but figured that those were just the tip of the iceberg. Something bigger would turn up. So, I made the bet Trump would be in jail by 2024 election. Something bigger has turned up. Mar-a lago docs. Will it put him in jail before 2024? Maybe not, but -

Now, I was hoping Binger would show up and throw down on this bet, and I was wanting to keep my hole cards down, but you've called me now Kish. So, I figure, if Trump is indicted he will have to turn himself in to be arraigned. He won't see the inside of a cell but he will be at least temporarily in custody. = Jail. I win.
Hmmm . . . Custody. Not enough to make me happy, but we take what we can reasonably expect to get.