Musk has jumped the shark

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Musk has jumped the shark

Post by Vēritās »

He bought Twitter because his exwife urged him to do so, so he could stop the "wokeness virus." But his insistence about being a free speech absolutist is hilariously wrong given that he's been banning people left and right for merely criticizing his actions.

elon.jpg
elon.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
His shenanigans, and him coming out as a Right Wing nut job is already hurting his stock, literally. Tesla stock has dropped so much he's no longer the richest man in the world. And he already spent double what Twitter is actually worth and now after alienating roughly half the country, it is likely to never be worth the $44 billion he paid.

Ah, the price he must pay just to stick it to the libs. I've canceled my order for the Cyber Truck and trying to talk my wife into selling her model Y. I'm dumping all my Tesla stock on the next spike. Think I'll look into Lucid. Maybe their CEO isn't an unhinged moron who spends all day tweeting idiotic crap.

Hey Doc, do you have any good Reddit threads to share on this?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Re: Musk has jumped the shark

Post by canpakes »

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

“Free speech”, lol.

Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Elon Musk's idea of free speech is Trump tweeting against Mike Pence as a mob was seeking to murder him. His idea of unacceptable speech is posting public flight logs.

He's a raging hypocrite and a liar. And now everyone knows it.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Dwight
Teacher

Post by Dwight »

Some reporters banned were questioning the story of Elon saying his kid (he only mentioned his son with Grimes and seemingly forgot that their daughter was in the car) was attacked by a stalker cause of the plane tracking. The supposed incident was 30 minutes later, in a car far away from the airport. Grimes tweeted about both kids being in the car, and then it was deleted. LAPD has commented that they are not aware of a situation that they were called to, so maybe it's like Elon using his kids with fabricated stories. He has a history of doing this.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I think Musk is discovering what Twitter has been like for the average person who becomes the target of malicious trolls. Surprise! He doesn't like it any more than anyone else does. He's experienced the benefits of free speech, but not the consequences of those who use speech as a weapon to harass, disrupt and threaten. It was perfectly fine when this kind of thing was happening to the libs, but it's definitely not fine when it happens to Elon Musk. So, after he proclaimed himself the champion of free speech, invited back the harassers, and fired the people whose job it was prevent harassment and threats, he got to experience exactly what led Twitter to have a code of conduct and a group charged with online safety.

Now he's in the ridiculous position of making up rules on the fly to protect himself from posts he doesn't like. The new rules aren't well thought out. They aren't consistent. And some are crazy on their face. So now it's simply become rule by fiat.

Beyond that, he's incompetent to administer his platform in a coherent way. Yesterday he banned 9 journalists. But he only banned them from posting. He didn't ban them from "spaces," which are live chats. A number of journalists gathered in a space to try and figure out what the hell was going on. Musk logged into the space. But, when confronted by the journalist, he fled the room.

I've tried to stick it out there, as there are several people for whom I have great respect, who have stated that they're not leaving voluntarily. But the vast majority of sources I've followed for information on the pandemic and public health issues, as well as important legal cases, have moved to substack (which allows nice long form articles, but to get all the content you have to purchase a subscription for each author), mastodon (which is not well developed at this point) or Post (which I'm on the waitlist for, but am skeptical of).

Most of my feed currently is posts from a group of docs (mostly toxicologists) that are both knowledgable and good communicators. And their interactions are funny as hell. So, some entertainment. But that's about it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some of the banned account holders are getting pretty creative with their new names, lol.

Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:12 am
He bought Twitter because his exwife urged him to do so, so he could stop the "wokeness virus." But his insistence about being a free speech absolutist is hilariously wrong given that he's been banning people left and right for merely criticizing his actions.

elon.jpg

His shenanigans, and him coming out as a Right Wing nut job is already hurting his stock, literally. Tesla stock has dropped so much he's no longer the richest man in the world. And he already spent double what Twitter is actually worth and now after alienating roughly half the country, it is likely to never be worth the $44 billion he paid.

Ah, the price he must pay just to stick it to the libs. I've canceled my order for the Cyber Truck and trying to talk my wife into selling her model Y. I'm dumping all my Tesla stock on the next spike. Think I'll look into Lucid. Maybe their CEO isn't an unhinged moron who spends all day tweeting idiotic crap.

Hey Doc, do you have any good Reddit threads to share on this?
What happened to the "a private company can do what they want," line of crap you used to pedal? Ahh yes, only liberals are afforded civil rights like freedom of speech, not conservatives. Alienating half the country and most of the remaining traditional family units doesn't appear to have helped Disney's stock either.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:30 pm
I think Musk is discovering what Twitter has been like for the average person who becomes the target of malicious trolls. Surprise! He doesn't like it any more than anyone else does. He's experienced the benefits of free speech, but not the consequences of those who use speech as a weapon to harass, disrupt and threaten. It was perfectly fine when this kind of thing was happening to the libs, but it's definitely not fine when it happens to Elon Musk. So, after he proclaimed himself the champion of free speech, invited back the harassers, and fired the people whose job it was prevent harassment and threats, he got to experience exactly what led Twitter to have a code of conduct and a group charged with online safety.

Now he's in the ridiculous position of making up rules on the fly to protect himself from posts he doesn't like. The new rules aren't well thought out. They aren't consistent. And some are crazy on their face. So now it's simply become rule by fiat.

Beyond that, he's incompetent to administer his platform in a coherent way. Yesterday he banned 9 journalists. But he only banned them from posting. He didn't ban them from "spaces," which are live chats. A number of journalists gathered in a space to try and figure out what the hell was going on. Musk logged into the space. But, when confronted by the journalist, he fled the room.

I've tried to stick it out there, as there are several people for whom I have great respect, who have stated that they're not leaving voluntarily. But the vast majority of sources I've followed for information on the pandemic and public health issues, as well as important legal cases, have moved to substack (which allows nice long form articles, but to get all the content you have to purchase a subscription for each author), mastodon (which is not well developed at this point) or Post (which I'm on the waitlist for, but am skeptical of).

Most of my feed currently is posts from a group of docs (mostly toxicologists) that are both knowledgable and good communicators. And their interactions are funny as hell. So, some entertainment. But that's about it.
It was always rule by fiat. It's just that your side no longer gets to make the rules. So find yourselves another home.

Do you think Jim Crowe was a segregated society? What If I told you that in under a decade and in addition to separate social media platforms and separate servers, we'd have separate stores, separate schools, separate restaurants, separate bathrooms, separate hospitals, separate razor companies, separate professional sports leagues, not based upon race but upon political party. We'd have a conservative version of Hollywood in Nashville. I could see it becoming illegal for us to even speak to each other. Perhaps that's better than trying to exterminate each other. But how segregated is that?
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas