Backing the Blue

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Backing the Blue

Post by Gadianton »

It's not just one issue. It does start with laws and self-righteous officials and for everyone in the justice system rule number one is cover your own ass. I don't know about Kevin's state, but several states have mandatory arrest laws and so if you call the cops about a family member and anything at all about that call can be construed as an altercation between yourself and the person you're calling about, they are legally required to arrest at least one of you. And it only gets worse. A friend of mine who is a step parent, an immigrant, and not white, who was raising this spoiled white kid, had the loser fallen real dad calling the police on him any time the kid didn't get his way and wasn't allowed to be as rude and disrespectful as possible. Fortunately, he didn't get cuffed, but had the kid made the call, he probably would have, and even an arrest for domestic for a non-citizen can be fatal.

And there's no way to fix the problem other than fix it yourself. No, you can't get counselling. Because in some states, even raising your voice to a family member is technically a misdemeanor. And so let's say you find a counselor and you're talking through your problems, and you get to the problem -- a real problem that is significant enough to be going to a counselor about, not one of these invented woke problems of not feeling valued enough or something, and the counselor is legally required to report the incident to law enforcement. A friend of mine at work had problems with his wife, she was even a counselor herself, they went to a counselor, they got to the part where he had put his arm around her to restrain her because she was flailing at him, and the counselor went white as a ghost and pulled the form from his desk to show the wife and they stopped telling the story. The wife, being a counselor, got the message -- "you can't tell me that or I'm bound to report it!"

But of course tribalism among cops and all the way up the chain is a huge problem. If cop A makes a bad call, cop B will back him up even if he knows it's wrong. But that goes all the way up to the Supreme Court where half the court is Catholic and members of the unhinged Federalist Society.

Another problem is that of low-hanging fruit. Rather than getting real bad guys off the street, it's easier to write speeding tickets and make life hell for people on minor domestic calls like this. Sting operations are in the same ballpark of going after low-hanging fruit because agencies can't do real work.

My wife used to tell me stories about how her Mexican friend kept her kids in line, and they respected the hell out of her mom while my step-kid got away with everything. I'd tell her flat out, she can do that because she's Mexican and cops will just say it's cultural but you try any of that crap and you'll be in jail.

Of course, all the overreach and stupidity is a function of real things also. If abuse wasn't such a serious issue, then we wouldn't be in this situation, and the number of people getting screwed on technicalities is still probably fewer than the number of serious abuse cases than never get dealt with.

Oh here's a great one. I heard this from somebody at jury duty. Wife calls on her husband for domestic. They arrest him but she was also guilty. As Kevin says, DA presses charges, not the victim, so they go all-in prosecuting this guy and force the wife to testify against him, because if she doesn't they'll arrest her also. Why?

DAs are part of the problem. All they care about is their prosecution rack record. Look at any DA site and they'll say something like a 96% or 98% successful prosecution rate. What that means is they were able to scare a bunch of low-hanging fruit into plea bargains.

So I see the entire criminal justice system as I do any other natural predators. I think it takes a certain kind of person to be a cop, a prosecutor, a DA, an FBI agent, or even a judge, and it's not the kind of person I have a lot in common with. Just as I respect coyotes, I keep my distance. They "sort-of" do their job and maintain a balance of nature, but I believe these are people who are typically more broken than the average person, and so stay back.

One day I was on a walk and some dense object came flying through the air and nearly hit me in the head. I kept walking assuming I was the target of something. Once I realized I was safe, I came back to the scene and found it. A pistol. I went home. I wasn't going to say anything because who knows the mood of the cop and will he try to accuse me of something? I began feeling guilty though because what if a kid found it? So I called the HOA security. Well, hours later, I ended up having to meet a cop at the scene. He was super friendly like we were best buds. The perp had thrown it right before this cop had cornered and arrested him and so I'd done him a big favor. But I count that as luck of the draw.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:57 pm
Oddly enough I completely empathize with Veritas on this. Most Americans will never come up against a worse enemy than their own government. But his blame is misplaced. Elected and appointed officials are responsible for these policies. The "blue" are just following orders from the Department of Injustice.

Google the story of a school principal who killed himelf after losing his career when his wife mistakenly called the police in an act of vengeance which she immediately regretted. It didn't matter that the wife didn't want to press charges. When police have to come out someone is going to pay dearly.
Ajax, the DOJ doesn’t give orders to “The blue.” That’s your politicized blinders. Law enforcement is highly decentralized in the US. Cities and towns commonly have their own police forces, which are under their control. Counties typically have their own law enforcement, with jurisdiction over unincorporated portions of the county. The county controls its own law enforcement. The same is true of the states and their law enforcement.

The role of the DOJ when it comes to city, county, and state law enforcement is the enforcement of applicable federal law. That includes federal civil rights law. In those cases, the DOJ sues the department. The result is typically a consent decree in which the court approves an agreement by the DOJ and the law enforcement agency, with the Court retaining jurisdiction to enforce the decree. When the Court is satisfied that the terms of the decree have been fulfilled, the decree is dissolved and the DOJ has no further involvement. Your assertion that the DOJ is responsible for the local police department’s arrest Veritas’s wife is resentment fueled nonsense.

While you claim to empathize with Veritas, you turn right around and blame him for his wife’s arrest based on your hatred of democrats. That’s not empathy, in my book. That’s using a horrific incident to take a cheap political shot.

As Dr. Exiled correctly points out, domestic violence cases are a particularly thorny problem for law enforcement. I’m aware of one police department in the Phoenix area that require officers to arrest someone in response to a domestic violence call. That kind of policy seems to to be designed to protect the department from lawsuits rather than to protect citizens. A properly trained LEO should have been able to determine that they were dealing with a mental health crisis as opposed to domestic violence.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote:What you don't understand is that the reason this happened to you is because you have money there for the government to take and profit from in this situation. You pushed, advocated, and voted for the very policies that created these unintended consequences. Can you demonstrate to me again how you benefited from white privilege in this encounter with the police?
Let me give you a perfect example of top-down legal system overreach. Right-wing abortion laws. Twelve-year-old girls are now the target of the most vicious and seasoned legal predators because you pushed, you advocated, and voted for it. I realize that you won't care until it's your daughter and since you are a man it doesn't directly affect you anyway, but the precedent could affect you one day.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:45 pm

To better comprehend that it was your fault
Sure Mike. Sure.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Joshua wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:45 pm
How did you anticipate the cops to respond?
Like human beings who actually care about the people they're paid to protect and serve. But these jackasses were looking to put another notch in their belt. The cops with the most arrests get promoted. There is too much incentive for them to arrest people regardless of merit, and that needs to change.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Joshua wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:48 pm
Veritas, maybe you should run for Sheriff so you can teach all the clueless law enforcement personnel in your region how to conduct effective community policing. Obviously you think you could do their job better than them, prove it!
Even the Soros backed DA, Kim Rollins would prosecute domestic violence. She's the left wing kook who made larceny shoplifting (<$250), trespassing, disorderly conduct, public intoxication resisting arrest, breaking and entering (if you need a place to sleep) effectively legal by formally refusing to prosecute these crimes.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:08 pm

Even the Soros backed DA...
Now we're attacking the boogeyman Jew...
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

So I see the entire criminal justice system as I do any other natural predators. I think it takes a certain kind of person to be a cop, a prosecutor, a DA, an FBI agent, or even a judge, and it's not the kind of person I have a lot in common with. Just as I respect coyotes, I keep my distance. They "sort-of" do their job and maintain a balance of nature, but I believe these are people who are typically more broken than the average person, and so stay back.
Excellent point. Just as I said, most Americans will never meet a worse enemy than their own government.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:01 pm
Excellent point. Just as I said, most Americans will never meet a worse enemy than their own government.
And yet, when that government is killing black people, you're perfectly cool with that. This forum was littered with one example after another where you made excuses for cops murdering people like Breonna Taylor, Freddie Gray, etc.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Vēritās wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:10 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:01 pm

And yet, when that government is killing black people, you're perfectly cool with that. This forum was littered with one example after another where you made excuses for cops murdering people like Breonna Taylor, Freddie Gray, etc.
Law enforcement department are financial predators. And domestic violence cases like yours as well as DUIs are a big cash cow. You had money and you put yourself in a position where the police and a club of lawyers down at city hall could get their hands on it. It doesn't pay to give tickets nor issue fines to indigent people in the ghetto who will never pay them. Nor does it generate revenue to jail them. This is why road rules effectively don't exist in the inner city while going 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway as an out of state motorist in South Carolina is automatic jail time and an insane amount in legal fees and fines.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas