Backing the Blue

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Backing the Blue

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:50 am
No officer wants to be in the position of knowing he or she could've prevented a death if only he or she had done things by the book.
200526-weill-cop-follow-tease_rftkno.jpeg
200526-weill-cop-follow-tease_rftkno.jpeg (87.4 KiB) Viewed 460 times
No officer he says.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:59 am
Give me a break. There is no comparison between these two cases, and this was just common sense in my situation. My wife was clearly a struggling cancer patient. I had provided all the background to both the 911 operator and the cops who arrived. I informed this this was a medical emergency and she shouldn't be driving, it had nothing to do with "I'm afraid she's going to beat me." She barely had the strength to walk on her own for crying out loud, but you're saying the police, who had to help her out of the car because she was so weak, thought I was an actual victim and could be in danger? I'm roughly 6'3" and a 235 lb man and I was a victim of physical abuse by a feeble woman who was barely 100 lbs at that time and just 5'0" tall?
You told us that you explained to them that she was under the influence of a drug-induced psychosis. Psychotic people can do great damage with guns, knives, or what have you hours later when the victim has gone to sleep. Not only that, but you explained that she was actively operating a motor vehicle while in that state, thus endangering both herself and anyone else on the road.
Save it. There is no way in hell you're going to convince me they did this out of the kindness of their hearts because they were concerned about my safety. They were complete jerks to us both, never made eye contact, just order us both around like we were livestock.
There's no excuse for that last part.
No officer he says.
Was the officer in that photo doing things by the book?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr. Shades wrote:
?..keep in mind what happened to the Moab police department in Utah. They did precisely what you are advocating for--trying to help as opposed to just unthinkingly making an arrest--and now they're having to pay, perhaps dearly.
The article you link to doesn’t factually support your opinion that they “did precisely what you are advocating for--trying to help.”
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:40 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
?..keep in mind what happened to the Moab police department in Utah. They did precisely what you are advocating for--trying to help as opposed to just unthinkingly making an arrest--and now they're having to pay, perhaps dearly.
The article you link to doesn’t factually support your opinion that they “did precisely what you are advocating for--trying to help.”
From the article:
… an allegation from a woman who says the officer, Eric Pratt, had threatened to kill her after their relationship ended,
They also argue that Pratt should have never been hired by the department because of his history and comments he’d previously made on a podcast about trying to find “loopholes” when enforcing the law.
and
After trying to get advice from the assistant chief, Pratt then instructed Robbins to decide what to do because he was training Robbins at the time. “I don’t care if we use the actual letter of the law to not charge,” Pratt said, according to the video footage.
So, he put the decision on a trainee and openly stated he wasn’t going to follow the law. by the way, there’s more in the article about Pratt’s alleged prior behavior that calls into question his ability to make sound decisions. Not a good look, for sure.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:28 pm
This was a horrible thing you went through with your wife and daughter. I feel for her having to spend those days in jail. Here in Clark County, Nevada there are judges that work weekends to review these cases and dole out restraining orders and so the time spent in jail isn't as long as it was for your wife.

I don't know how to change the domestic violence system to avoid these types of incidences. Cops arrest people when there is probable cause to do so. In your case, telling the 911 operator what happened and letting the cops know that you had it recorded let the genie out of the bag. They were going to arrest her at that point. Also, its common for the alleged victim to protest the arrest decision and the cops are trained to not listen to these protests once probable cause is determined initially. However, looks like the Judge properly reviewed the matter and let her out. Were there any charges filed by the District Attorney? I hope there weren't.
I don't think I have before (or at least not recently), so I wanted to take a second to thank you for always being willing to share your "boots on the ground" experience with legal stuff.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:16 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
This was a horrible thing you went through with your wife and daughter. I feel for her having to spend those days in jail. Here in Clark County, Nevada there are judges that work weekends to review these cases and dole out restraining orders and so the time spent in jail isn't as long as it was for your wife.

I don't know how to change the domestic violence system to avoid these types of incidences. Cops arrest people when there is probable cause to do so. In your case, telling the 911 operator what happened and letting the cops know that you had it recorded let the genie out of the bag. They were going to arrest her at that point. Also, its common for the alleged victim to protest the arrest decision and the cops are trained to not listen to these protests once probable cause is determined initially. However, looks like the Judge properly reviewed the matter and let her out. Were there any charges filed by the District Attorney? I hope there weren't.
I don't think I have before (or at least not recently), so I wanted to take a second to thank you for always being willing to share your "boots on the ground" experience with legal stuff.
Happy to do it.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Were there any charges filed by the District Attorney? I hope there weren't.

No.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:48 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Were there any charges filed by the District Attorney? I hope there weren't.

No.
Good news. I would have been surprised had the DA pressed the case.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:05 am
You told us that you explained to them that she was under the influence of a drug-induced psychosis. Psychotic people can do great damage with guns, knives, or what have you hours later when the victim has gone to sleep. Not only that, but you explained that she was actively operating a motor vehicle while in that state, thus endangering both herself and anyone else on the road.
I never used that terminology (drug-induced psychosis) with the cops, I merely told them she was suffering from negative effects of chemo drugs she had been taking for months and I ALSO told them that she has to take her meds to even everything out. When they first gave her steroids in the hospital it drove her nuts, but they had to balance that out with some other drug called Buspirone.

Apparently you think she was better served being locked in a cell where her necessary prescription drugs would be denied, as opposed to going back home in my care where she would just go straight to sleep after taking her meds. Apparently this is the kind of desperate mental gymnastics you're willing to entertain in order to back the blue at all costs, no matter what the circumstances.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:49 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:48 pm
No.
Good news. I would have been surprised had the DA pressed the case.
I will say that the nightmare continued for months until her court date had transpired, because I had to bargain with the solicitor to let her come back home. I had to go there and bear my testimony, literally, as to why she didn't pose a threat and begged them to show mercy. Because when she was released, technically she wasn't even allowed to come home because the State had deemed me a "victim" of domestic violence. So I swayed the solicitor on that point but she didn't file the proper paperwork to make sure everyone in law enforcement knew about it because a week later we took a vacation, left Miami to go on a cruise and when we returned we were stopped at Customs because they said there was a warrant or something saying she was prohibited from traveling with us anywhere. WTF? The information from the solicitor in Woodstock Georgia didn't trickle down to all the concerned parties apparently so I had to sit there for about two hours explaining the whole situation again and they wouldn't let us go until they contacted someone in Georgia to confirm our story. It was a nightmare. My mother in law and kids were there crying, not knowing if she was going to be hauled off in cuffs again.

A week later we get a visit from family services. Some woman came to the house and didn't understand why my wife was living at the house and I had to explain it all again to her. She then said she had to interview all the kids individually without the Mom present. It was just all a big hassle, unnecessary, stupid and embarrassing.