doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:07 am
Really, nobody owes you a darn bit of respect if you can't even stay on your own topic. This has nothing to do with your last OP that the mods rightfully merged with this thread. And your second sentence is ridiculous, a desperate way to save your failed OP.
What are you talking about man? Okay, what do you want me to respond to? It's not my fault the mods are messing everything up.
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 pm
An apples-to-apples comparison to the case of girls dating men would be an example of an illegal dating relationship that most liberal people would see as still moral. What would that be? I have to say, I think we're getting to your real concern, and not your smokescreen example of 20-year-olds dating 30-year-olds.
Listen Gadianton, I get your point, but just because you think something is moral or immoral doesn't mean that double standards are acceptable.

If you are concerned about people breaking the law, you have to be consistent about that.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

dt wrote:If you are concerned about people breaking the law, you have to be consistent about that.
Not really concerned about people breaking the law. But suppose I were. Are you trying to say that If a 30-year-old guy is having a physical relationship with a 15-year-old girl, and if I'm upset about that law-breaking (assuming it's illegal in the state it's occurring), that I should be equally upset about people illegally smoking pot and illegally getting abortions? Is that your point?

If not, please provide an example of law-breaking that, assuming I care about law-breaking, I'm being inconsistent about. Or if not me, anybody else on the forum like Doc Cam or E.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:25 pm
So why don't you just acknowledge what is painfully obvious to anyone who reads the thread?
With all due respect, you always crucify me when I am not precise with my wording. I never admitted to that, so Dr. Exile shouldn't accuse me of admitting things I didn't admit to, even if it's obvious what happened. It's frankly none of his business.
You see what you did there? I made an observation of your behavior, and you immediately tried to use the behavior of others to rationalize your own behavior. You've been doing this for as long as I remember you being on the board. It's a fairly serious problem that I'm guessing you didn't discuss with your therapist. It's why you lash out at feminists, overly picky women, people on this board, society in general and on and on over your unhappiness on the state of your love/sex life. And as long as you think of yourself as a helpless victim, that unhappiness will never, never go away.

Neither will the anxiety over something to do with your thoughts and/or behavior concerning relationships. You can do all the research you want. You can construct all the rationalizations you want. You can argue with people here all you want. You can seek approval here all you want. You can devalue people here all you want. Any relief from the anxiety that is driving your behavior will be only temporary, because all of those behaviors teach your brain to be even more anxious. You appear to be caught in a nasty trap that lots of people's brains get caught in. It happens. But until you stop telling your brain that you are a helpless victim, you will stay there. The only way out is through therapy -- and that's going to a substantial amount of time and a ton of effort on your part. Whatever therapy you did before didn't get at what lies at the base of your unhappiness.

If I'm right, then arguing with you about your relationship posts makes me complicit in the harm you are inflicting on yourself. There is nothing I can say that will have any positive impact. That's hard for me, because I've been rooting all along for something -- anything -- that will create a moment of self-awareness that will lead you to seize control of your actions and recognize that only you (with some help) can make your love/sex relationships better. But I'm convinced that you've successfully constructed an impenetrable shell that nothing can break through. You can (with help) disassemble it from the inside. But I'm not going to bang my head against it anymore.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 pm
If I'm right, then arguing with you about your relationship posts makes me complicit in the harm you are inflicting on yourself. There is nothing I can say that will have any positive impact. That's hard for me, because I've been rooting all along for something -- anything -- that will create a moment of self-awareness that will lead you to seize control of your actions and recognize that only you (with some help) can make your love/sex relationships better. But I'm convinced that you've successfully constructed an impenetrable shell that nothing can break through. You can (with help) disassemble it from the inside. But I'm not going to bang my head against it anymore.
Should you ever begin to second guess your decision, please take a look at this 120 page thread just from the outside of it. May the words let go or be dragged, be your guide.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:32 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 pm
Should you ever begin to second guess your decision, please take a look at this 120 page thread just from the outside of it. May the words let go or be dragged, be your guide.
Or even better, I'll PM you and let you beat me about the head and shoulders. :lol:
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:41 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:32 pm

Or even better, I'll PM you and let you beat me about the head and shoulders. :lol:
Not a problem. Should that event arise I shall whip thee forth and with (forthwith?) with my trusty fedora! 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:41 pm

Not a problem. Should that event arise I shall whip thee forth and with (forthwith?) with my trusty fedora! 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
So why don't you just acknowledge what is painfully obvious to anyone who reads the thread?
With all due respect, you always crucify me when I am not precise with my wording. I never admitted to that, so Dr. Exile shouldn't accuse me of admitting things I didn't admit to, even if it's obvious what happened. It's frankly none of his business.
Res Ipsa wrote:
including a raft of scientific papers that didn't say what you claimed, the fact that she was Mexican, the unsupported claim that she had a more developed brain because she grew up poor
But there is correlation between extreme poverty and growing up faster. The reasons are obvious. It's called survival.
Res Ipsa wrote:

DT, it is this kind of game playing that is leading people to distrust you.
But others don't play games with me? Dr. Exile harassed me and speculated that I committed a third degree felony.
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 pm
In other words, it's exactly opposite to this OP. It's legal for an older man to date a 19 year old, but (possibly) according to Cam, it isn't moral.

Your examples in this thread are examples of activities that are considered illegal under laws liberals generally see as draconian. In other words, it may be illegal to smoke pot in some places, but very few liberals would see it as immoral.
Well, it's a bunch of hypocrisy, isn't it? They haven't provided a shred of evidence that it's immoral when a 30-year old has a relationship with a 19 year old. It's arguably more immoral to smoke pot, since a lot of it comes from the cartels.
So, you didn't have sex, correct? I forget you're probably still a virgin as you were complaining of being such and in your 30's a few years ago. Still, I wouldn't give anyone a high five for dating a 17 year old when they are 26, even as a fantasy. Most people would think that was creepy and inappropriate.

You really need to be careful of the subjects you chose. However, the more I think about this, the more I think you just made the whole thing up to get a reaction and that is a completely different can of worms for your analyst. So, I guess you got me. Congratulations.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm
Still, I wouldn't give anyone a high five for dating a 17 year old when they are 26, even as a fantasy. Most people would think that was creepy and inappropriate.
Do you have any statistical evidence of that? I suspect it's just your inner circle, I think most people would be fine with that. I've had this same conversation with other atheists, no one outside of this board was outraged.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 am
dt wrote:If you are concerned about people breaking the law, you have to be consistent about that.
Not really concerned about people breaking the law. But suppose I were. Are you trying to say that If a 30-year-old guy is having a physical relationship with a 15-year-old girl, and if I'm upset about that law-breaking (assuming it's illegal in the state it's occurring), that I should be equally upset about people illegally smoking pot and illegally getting abortions? Is that your point?

If not, please provide an example of law-breaking that, assuming I care about law-breaking, I'm being inconsistent about. Or if not me, anybody else on the forum like Doc Cam or E.
As you said, we have to compare oranges to oranges. There's no harm when a 26 year old dates a 17 year old, as long as the relationship is healthy and consensual. There's also no direct harm when someone smokes pot, at least no one else gets directly harmed.

So, it's a double standard to be concerned about the legality of one thing, but not the other.