Research paper on the current state and trajectory of artificial general intelligence

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Research paper on the current state and trajectory of artificial general intelligence

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://money.usnews.com/investing/news ... form-gpt-4
Elon Musk and a group of artificial intelligence experts and industry executives are calling for a six-month pause in developing systems more powerful than OpenAI's newly launched GPT-4, in an open letter citing potential risks to society and humanity.

Earlier this month, Microsoft-backed OpenAI unveiled the fourth iteration of its GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) AI program, which has wowed users with its vast range of applications, from engaging users in human-like conversation to composing songs and summarising lengthy documents.

The letter, issued by the non-profit Future of Life Institute and signed by more than 1,000 people including Musk, called for a pause on advanced AI development until shared safety protocols for such designs were developed, implemented and audited by independent experts.
I watched this Fridman interview of Sam Altman, OpenAI CEO, and, well, it’s something. The genie is out of the bottle. No one is going to stop whatever this ends up being. I’d definitely like to see the feds get a quarterly panel of industry insiders, academics, ethicists, futurists, and whatever else is relevant together so we can at least understand what’s going on, and hopefully how to manage this thing in a way that isn’t an existential threat to life as we know it.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.