Reagan Sabotaged Carter

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Reagan Sabotaged Carter

Post by Vēritās »

HFS!
In 1980, a prominent Republican sought to sabotage then-President Jimmy Carter's re-election by asking Middle Eastern leaders to get a message to the Iranians; keep the American hostages until after the election and Reagan will give you a better deal. That's according to a New York Times report. Jonathan Alter, author of "His Very Best: Jimmy Carter, A Life," joined Geoff Bennett to discuss.
Apparently this guy had this weighing on his conscience for decades. This completely changes the historical narrative and legacies for both Reagan and Carter.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Reagan Sabotaged Carter

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Man, this makes me hope Operation Eagle Claw wasn’t sabotaged by any insider assets. Bananas.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Reagan was poised to have Zurich release the Iranian Swiss bank accounts if Iran kept the American hostages until after the election.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

This has been out there for decades. Anyway, welcome to reality.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:29 am
Yeah, I thought this was well known for a very long time.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:56 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:29 am
Well I had never heard of it. It probably passed as rumor but lately with this guy coming out as a first hand witness, it kinda strengthens it substantially I would think.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Vēritās wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:22 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Well I had never heard of it. It probably passed as rumor but lately with this guy coming out as a first hand witness, it kinda strengthens it substantially I would think.
Of course the latest revelations strengthen it. Even so, it was widely known, if not officially admitted, like most things with our government. Here is an article that touches on the history of the October Surprise. https://theintercept.com/2023/03/24/oct ... en-barnes/

It ushered in a more prominent role for the CIA in our government, having a former director as VP (Bush) and former case officer as campaign manager (Casey). So, it isn't a stretch to think these bozos had some machinations behind the scenes, illegal or not, in order to gain power.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:
Everything you wanted to know about the "October Surprise" and then some. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_S ... acy_theory
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:30 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Everything you wanted to know about the "October Surprise" and then some. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_S ... acy_theory
So it was just a conspiracy theory. That explains why it never caught my attention until now. In any event, it seems this recent publication is a pretty big deal it terms of supporting evidence for it.

New claim about Iran hostage crisis sabotage may change narrative of Carter presidency
Geoff Bennett:

Well, let me ask you more about that, because The New York Times, Peter Baker in his reporting stresses that there's no evidence that Ronald Reagan knew about this effort or that William Casey directed it.

But you wrote a piece this weekend where you said, not only is the reporting credible, but that you, in your own reporting, have encountered information that is even more incriminating. Tell us about that.

Jonathan Alter:

Right. So this is all in my book, my biography of Jimmy Carter.

But what happened, Geoff, is that the question of whether there was a so-called October surprise turned on a very, very specific thing in 1992, when it was being investigated by Congressman Lee Hamilton on Capitol Hill. And the question was whether William Casey — this was Reagan's campaign manager and later CIA director — whether he left a meeting in London and went to Madrid to meet with four Iranian representatives of the ayatollah to discuss a deal.

Now, those four Iranians say that Casey did leave London and did go to Madrid in the summer of 1980, not long before the election. But for a long time, there was no proof of that. And then, just eight, nine years ago now, a document surfaced in President Bush Sr.'s library, where the United States ambassador in Spain said, in a cable, William Casey here this week. We're not sure why.

And that pretty much established that he was there for the meeting. And then I have something else in my book that's also very relevant, and that is that a banker and diplomat whose name is Joseph Verner Reed, he later became ambassador to Morocco and head of protocol for Reagan. I came across a letter that he wrote to his family in which he said: I'm proud of my role in preventing the hostages from being released before the election, so that Jimmy Carter would not get credit for that.

That's a pretty sick thing, when you think about it. These 52 Americans are being held in captivity. And you have people very close to Reagan — whether Reagan himself knew or not, we don't know — but people very close to Reagan who were definitely trying to do this.

Whether they completed a deal or not is unclear. The original deal would be that, if the Iranians waited to release the hostages until after the election, which they did, that Reagan would unfreeze their assets and give them arms. It turned out that it was Carter who negotiated the release of the hostages, although — and this was extraordinary when I came across this.

Remember Iran-Contra, where we shipped arms to the Iranians. That was in 1986. This is in 1981, just a couple months after our citizens are released. At that point, the Reagan administration is already shipping arms to its enemy in Iran through the Israelis. So it's quite possible that this was a payoff for the decision by the Iranian government to not release the hostages before the election, which would, of course, aided — it would have aided Jimmy Carter's reelection efforts.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Are we believing in conspiracy theories now?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024