You're Wrong

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: You're Wrong

Post by Chap »

Tim wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:45 pm
From Robert P George:

Q. How do you define "Woke"?
A. The attitude of a person who regards his or her opinions as so obviously correct and so profoundly enlightened that they may not legitimately be doubted or challenged, and that only hate or bigotry can explain others' holding different beliefs.
That's nothing like what the word has historically meant. George obviously wants to transform it into a mere term of abuse.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I kind of liked Ron DeSantis' General Counsil's definition of "woke" during the AG Warren trial. "The belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."

In my experience, it's never really had a static definition though, particularly among the people who used it as a self-descriptor. 10 years ago, when I would see someone use it, it could mean anything from "I know the *real* reason the government puts fluoride in the water" to "there is explicit racial bias in policing, and by extension the justice system in general." Incidentally, I tended to see it used a lot by Bernie bros that turned Trumpists. I can't recall though over the last year-or-so, since right-wing high-jacking as an all-encompassing boogieman, it being used much by anyone as a self-descriptor. Seems now "woke" mostly just means "things I can't accurately describe, but I don't like, because my tribe has been told not to like them."
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tim wrote:
From Robert P George:

A. The attitude of a person who regards his or her opinions as so obviously correct and so profoundly enlightened that they may not legitimately be doubted or challenged, and that only hate or bigotry can explain others' holding different beliefs.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke#:~ ... ination%22.

It seems like you need to redefine the term so you can weaponize it against those you don’t care for. This is something that should require quiet reflection on your part.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Tim wrote:
From Robert P George:

Given that George may have a bit of his own bias in play here, and is ignoring the fairly lengthy history of the word, I’d like to add a link to an article that presents a more robust assessment:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/cultur ... ontroversy
Tim
Star A

Post by Tim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:26 pm
It seems like you need to redefine the term so you can weaponize it against those you don’t care for. This is something that should require quiet reflection on your part.

- Doc
I think you're right that George is weaponizing the word and defining it around an attitude without reference to its substance.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Tim wrote:
From Robert P George:

Oh! So that's what Trump's GOP is... woke. Interesting.

Their self-reflection in the form of whining about Democrats is off the charts.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:07 pm
Tim wrote:
From Robert P George:

Oh! So that's what Trump's GOP is... woke. Interesting.

Their self-reflection in the form of whining about Democrats is off the charts.
You’re not wrong. It does sound like an apt description of, say, ‘Moms for Liberty’ and their efforts to ban books they may not have even read.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:22 am
You’re not wrong. It does sound like an apt description of, say, ‘Moms for Liberty’ and their efforts to ban books they may not have even read.
Sounds like 'Moms' don't know what 'Liberty' means.

That what's hilarious about so many GOP leaning organizations: they lie even when naming themselves. 'Truth Social' is another good example. 'Honest Joe's Used Cars.' Of course, a lot of them call themselves 'Christian' and they don't act like that either. Not Jesus Christian. More like the fake, selfish, American asshole version of Christian.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think conservatives would react negatively to the words enlightened or enlightenment. Hearing terms from history such as The Age of Reason or The Enlightenment puts them into a maniacal rage, like someone dousing them with a bucket of water and causing them to melt.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace