Trump Indicted in Docs Probe

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Trump Indicted in Docs Probe

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:36 am
Kari Lake has vowed to turn violent over this indictment
Are you sure about that? I would think she'd call upon someone other than herself to turn violent, rather than take the risk herself.

I think right-wingers are temporarily over the whole insurrection thing. The capitol rioters got owned big time, and most of them cried and said they'd been duped and promised to be good. I think the extremist groups are laying low, most likely with intent to do something again one day but not quite sure how to move the ball forward. I think they're all on board to back lying and cheating representatives but they aren't going to do much themselves.

Nobody is going to risk anything material for lake, and very few at this point are going to take the risk for Trump. He can't even find right-wing lawyers to pay to represent him anymore -- if he were so innocent, you'd think they'd be lining up to help.

Trump somewhat misreads his base. He's right that he could shoot someone in the street and they'd still support him, probably all the more. But for those he's a real hero to, he's kind of a cartoon hero, like, they're rooting for someone on TV, not backing someone in reality where they have skin in the game. Even for the rioters who temporarily put their money where people like Ajax put their mouths it's less about Trump, and more about their own pet conspiracy theories. Even though QAnon promoted Trump as the hero, Q became the bigger hero; as if Trump worked for him not the other way around. A lot of extremists only sorta support Trump because they don't think Trump is extreme enough.

There's an energy to the whole unhinged right-wing thing(s) and being a part of that is more important than supporting Trump per se. So no, there isn't going to be any violence in the streets over Trump being indicted, right-wingers are shrugging it off. It's funny seeing the clips of Fox News hosts going completely bananas over this. I would even say law enforcement could take some time off this summer and get some R&R in because Trump's base is so unlikely to lift a finger over any of this.
Pretty spot on. Jan 6 was a disgrace and I said so at the time. The USA died on 11/7/20. The funeral was held on 1/20/21. Soon even those who hale from shithole countries will look upon this once promised land with disgust and repulsion wondering why they came. No point in wasting another inflated cent in medical expenses on a dead body. Time to let them all in and seat Bernie upon the throne. At this point I think I'll be voting for Bernie as a part of my political scorched earth policy. It'll be a lot cheaper than raising an army while doing as much or more damage.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ajax wrote: Jan 6 was a disgrace and I said so at the time
Sure, but didn't you also say that Jan 6 was ANTIFA and not Trump supporters? And now that Trump has promised to pardon Jan 6 convicts, the truth comes out.

If my memory is wrong, then I will be glad to credit you for believing Trump rioters were a disgrace. It would be unthinkably good will on your part to say something like that, when there were so many options open to you at the time: It's ANTIFIA! What about BLM? and so on.

Saying it now almost feels like you're hedging your bets so as not to have to feel bad about the impotent "BD" turnout yesterday.

And someone remind Binger that the Nasdaq and Dow both ratified Trump's indictment yesterday, lol.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:30 pm
Sure, but didn't you also say that Jan 6 was ANTIFA and not Trump supporters? And now that Trump has promised to pardon Jan 6 convicts, the truth comes out.

If my memory is wrong, then I will be glad to credit you for believing Trump rioters were a disgrace. It would be unthinkably good will on your part to say something like that, when there were so many options open to you at the time: It's ANTIFIA! What about BLM? and so on.

Saying it now almost feels like you're hedging your bets so as not to have to feel bad about the impotent "BD" turnout yesterday.

And someone remind Binger that the Nasdaq and Dow both ratified Trump's indictment yesterday, lol.

I did say it was a disgrace but I can't take credit for that myself. Mark Levin and Ben Shapiro both called it a disgrace. But as Ben says two things can be true at once. It was idiotic and criminal for the protesters to be fighting cops. It's also true that we live under a partisan political justice system in America that discriminates based upon your political affiliation. Whether it's the difference in how BLM rioters are prosecuted or not prosecuted vs. Jan 6 rioters or Trump as opposed to Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden at the highest levels of government. People on the right are punished far more severely for the same crime and investigated far more aggressively. It's also true that there was no chance of the rioters taking over the country or stopping the certificaiton. To call it an insurrection is just playing politics.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:30 pm
I thought Ajax was saying it was a disgrace that the government of the United States was not toppled and Trump did not assume the reins of dictator for life.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:14 pm
Whether it's the difference in how BLM rioters are prosecuted or not prosecuted vs. Jan 6 rioters
It'd be pretty wild if Biden's DOJ not only carried on all of Trump's DOJ cases against BLM rioters, but even brought new charges against people, right? Can you imagine if Biden's DOJ found BLM people to charge that Trump didn't charge?

It'd be even more wild if the majority of the cases could/should have only carried state charges (like the M4BL report showed), but Biden's DOJ decided to treat them more harshly as federal charges.

That'd be wild.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Moksha wrote:I thought Ajax was saying it was a disgrace that the government of the United States was not toppled and Trump did not assume the reins of dictator for life.
I did a quick search and it was Subs who insisted Jan 6 was ANTIFA. I'm going to say Ajax's recollection is probably right, as I saw him quote Ben S. who was whining about BLM being treated differently. Of course that's not true. There's no apples to apples comparison here because nobody else has ever tried a coup like this. In one sense it may not be right that any old Joe counts less in a murder than a federal agent, or that the average person's house counts less in vandalism or theft than federal property, but the reality is that for practical reasons it has to be this way. So until BLM tries to breach the capitol yelling death threats and with congress people and a VP inside while over-running and killing federal police, we just don't know if there's a double standard.

The reason I mention this in response to your post is that I also came across a question I asked Ajax: had the capitol rioters successfully taken over the government and re-instated Trump as president, would he have accepted it? He didn't answer.

And so if Ajax maintains Jan. 6 was a disgrace committed by Trump supporters and it's not a disgrace only because they failed to achieve their goal, then I have to give the man credit for being morally sound in this regard.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:14 pm
People on the right are punished far more severely for the same crime and investigated far more aggressively.
Apples to apples, what's a specific example of a Dem getting let off easy for the same crime as a person on the political right? Specifically.
It's also true that there was no chance of the rioters taking over the country or stopping the certificaiton. To call it an insurrection is just playing politics.
Had one member of the Capital police not managed to divert a group of insurgent trespassers, it would have ended differently.

Had a person not been shot after the insurgent trespassers attempted to breach the House chamber, causing the push to the Speakers Lobby and House floor to stop at a time when Representatives were vulnerable, it would have ended differently.

That it didn't happen is a far cry from saying it couldn't have happened. It almost did happen.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

So until BLM tries to breach the capitol yelling death threats and with congress people and a VP
What about a supreme court justice? Does that count as much as a congressmen?
while over-running and killing federal police,
The only police officer who died was Brian Sicknick and it wasn't even due to injuries sustained in the fist fight. The only person killed was Ashley Babbit. Had Ashley been black and trespassing on an average white citizens house or even burglarizing the home any police officer or citizen who shot her for that would be put away in jail for life.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:17 pm
What about a supreme court justice? Does that count as much as a congressmen?
Most definitely. If BLM activists were to violently breach the Supreme Court Building at One First Street in DC, yelling death threats at a Justice, that would be a good corollary.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

See Doctor Steuss.
Had Ashley been black and trespassing on an average white citizens house or even burglarizing the home
see Dr. Steuss.

Had Ashley been black and violently breaching the Supreme Court Building (or the Capitol in 2020) the fate would have been the same.