Stephanie: Tell me a story about Titan

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Stephanie: Tell me a story about Titan

Post by Jersey Girl »

Strange & Unusual: The Titan Submersible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQljjDtfBRI

Run time is almost an hour. Worth it. The above video was made in advance of the public learning the outcome. She does bring it to conclusion at the end.

From Wiki:

In a 2022 podcast with CBS reporter David Pogue, Rush discussed his attitude toward what he perceived as excessive safety precautions: "You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."[24]

Rush married Wendy Weil in 1986.[25] The couple had two children.[26] Wendy Weil Rush is a great-great-granddaughter of Isidor and Ida Blun Straus, both of whom died in the sinking of the Titanic.[25] She is the director of communications at OceanGate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton_ ... sonal_life

:shock:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Re: Stephanie: Tell me a story about Titan

Post by Some Schmo »

I haven't really been following this story that closely, but from what I've heard, it sounds like OceanGate should be sued into oblivion.

And by the way, isn't it weird that this scandal and the company have the same name? (Unless someone comes along and starts calling it OceanGate-gate).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:12 pm
I haven't really been following this story that closely, but from what I've heard, it sounds like OceanGate should be sued into oblivion.

And by the way, isn't it weird that this scandal and the company have the same name? (Unless someone comes along and starts calling it OceanGate-gate).
I didn't follow it closely either. And yes, in spite of the passengers signing death waivers, I think families can and will come in and sue them to the depths of the Titanic and back again. The submersible wasn't a certified vessel. The makers were warned years ago that it was dangerous and my understanding is that there were incidents before this current one.

I watched one presentation that described scientifically how the passengers died. Apparently in less than an instant, they heat up and upon implosion, the bodies turn to gel, liquified remains disperse into the ocean upon implosion. This person used a tube of tooth paste under pressure to demonstrate how the remains would have dispersed out of the vessel. Only good thing is that the humans inside never knew what hit them.

I'll try to dig out the link in case anyone is geeky like me about things like that.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

What happens to a person’s body when a submarine implodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHD6D612nXI

Slava Ukraini!
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Pretty sad occurrence (despite all of the lulzdumbrichpeople posts). The 19yo was reportedly terrified of going, but wanted to please his father.

The only silver lining here is that they all died before they knew anything was wrong, and did not suffer.

This incident sent me down the rabbit hole of some other pressure diving catastrophes (the Byford Dolphin accident, the Chris Lemons survival). I had no idea how hard and dangerous it is to dive so deep. Morbid, but fascinating.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

All this underlines two simply engineering facts:

Other things being equal, a sphere is MUCH better at resisting pressure than a cylinder.

A pressure resisting vessel made out of tried and tested materials with long-term safety records is a much lower risk proposition than one made out of 'innovative' materials without long-term safety records.

If you combine a cylindrical design with 'innovative' materials, most people with engineering knowledge will politely turn down any offer of a trip to an extreme pressure environment.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Human sauce :shock:

Run time is 4 minutes and small change.

THIS HAPPENED TO THE BODIES WHEN THE SUBMARINE IMPLOSED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNFpbXWQ61w

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:37 am
From Wiki:

In a 2022 podcast with CBS reporter David Pogue, Rush discussed his attitude toward what he perceived as excessive safety precautions: "You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."[24]

That statement by him quoted from wikipedia was not just appallingly, but also criminally irresponsible from someone who claimed to be a highly qualified engineer. That alone should have been sufficient warning to all his passengers to not go join the expedition.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:10 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
From Wiki:

That statement by him quoted from wikipedia was not just appallingly, but also criminally irresponsible from someone who claimed to be a highly qualified engineer. That alone should have been sufficient warning to all his passengers to not go join the expedition.
I agree with the entire statement with the exception of the last sentence. Although, I would add that doing nothing also involves risk. The marginal cost of increased safety can exceed its marginal benefit. But you have to do the math and show your work. Simply hand waving why the safety regulations exist doesn’t cut it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:10 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
From Wiki:

I agree! Did you catch the last part of my wiki repost?

Rush married Wendy Weil in 1986.[25] The couple had two children.[26] Wendy Weil Rush is a great-great-granddaughter of Isidor and Ida Blun Straus, both of whom died in the sinking of the Titanic.[25] She is the director of communications at OceanGate.

Good grief. :shock:

Slava Ukraini!