Identifying Board Members

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Sara H
Nursery

Identifying Board Members

Post by Sara H »

I started this thread in the hopes that someone would take the time to explain who some of the posters on the board are. As I read through the past of the board, I'm getting more and more confused. Today, in the Spirit Prison, a moderator said that the poster Binger is also a poster named Mayan Elephant, but I thought Binger was Cultellus. I think I have figured out that Ajax18 is Hawkeye and that Marcus is a woman who used to post as Liz. And it looks like Dr. Shades has more than one sock puppet. When the board is slow, he posts under one of them, and some people think he's Atlanticmike. Am I on the right track or way off? Does the past of this fine board hold any more surprises for me?

I also saw a post where someone said there's a link somewhere on the board that lets you see board information from years ago that you can't find with the search function. How do I find that link?
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Identifying Board Members

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hi Sara. Indeed, it's hard to tell the players around here without a program. The board has not had a rule against people having multiple accounts until around a year or so ago. At that time, a rule was adopted that limited people to one account. However, the rule applied only prospectively -- those who had more than one account at the time the rule was passed were requested to "surrender" their sockpuppet accounts, but they were not required to do so.

To complicate matters more, this forum was formerly called "Mormon Discussions." The original board became nonfunctional for technical reasons, a brand new board had to be created. However, through some form of magic that I completely do not understand, our tech wizards were able to incorporate the old board's database into this database. You can tell which entries are from the old database by the form of the username. Posts from the old database will have an underscore for the first character of the username. So, in the new database, I'm "Res Ipsa." In the old database, I'm "_Res Ipsa"

So the posts from the old board are in the database, but they give the board's search function heartburn. If you try to find my posts from the old board by searching _Res Ipsa, you won't find anything. But if you search *Res Ipsa," all of my posts from both boards show up. (* is the "wildcard" character for the board's search function.)

And, just to make it more confusing, when signing up for the new board, some people people created accounts with usernames that someone else had used on the old board. So, Res Ipsa and _Res Ipsa are the same person. Hawkeye and _Hawkeye are not.

Because I have some inside knowledge, I'm going to leave the account names you've mentioned to respond as they see fit. I created a second account at some point to use for experiment with board functions. I can't recall the name offhand, and can't even recall which board I created it for (I think the old one). That's it.

Good luck. :D
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

i'm not Liz. that was one of the original mods, as far as I know, maybe more than a decade before i even knew this board existed, but Jersey Girl might know more about that history.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:54 pm
i'm not Liz. that was one of the original mods, as far as I know, maybe more than a decade before i even knew this board existed, but Jersey Girl might know more about that history.
I believe you're correct about Liz. She was still active on the old board when I started, but was no longer a moderator.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Sara H wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:59 pm
I started this thread in the hopes that someone would take the time to explain who some of the posters on the board are. As I read through the past of the board, I'm getting more and more confused. Today, in the Spirit Prison, a moderator said that the poster Binger is also a poster named Mayan Elephant, but I thought Binger was Cultellus. I think I have figured out that Ajax18 is Hawkeye and that Marcus is a woman who used to post as Liz. And it looks like Dr. Shades has more than one sock puppet. When the board is slow, he posts under one of them, and some people think he's Atlanticmike. Am I on the right track or way off? Does the past of this fine board hold any more surprises for me?

I also saw a post where someone said there's a link somewhere on the board that lets you see board information from years ago that you can't find with the search function. How do I find that link?
What possible difference does any of the above make if you are posting on topic...on a topical forum?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hi Sara - Welcome to the board.
Sara H wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:59 pm
I can tell you that Ceeboo is Ceeboo - Other than that, your best bet is to just jump in and participate in the discussions - You will get to know who is who.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Marcus is not Liz. The history doesn't matter. The fact that Marcus is not Liz doesn't matter either. This is a board of ideas. Post on topic. That's what the board is for.

Sheesh. Where do these people come from?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Sarah, but not Sara. 🐳

The preceding tuple conforms to a concept similar to the one expressed by the words Deep, but not Profound.

I used it for the first time about two days ago.

Today I met a guy named Kermit.

Javelin wrote a little book about a frog that wishes he could fly.

My real name is Gary Francis.

Gary means spear.

Parker is the name of the character a PTP played, that also played a friend of the friend of God on TV, and narrated said book.

Wrap your head, but not around that. 🐳
Last edited by High Spy on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:51 am
Marcus is not Liz. The history doesn't matter. The fact that Marcus is not Liz doesn't matter either. This is a board of ideas. Post on topic. That's what the board is for.
Well said on all points.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:51 am
Marcus wrote:

Sheesh. Where do these people come from?
When a man and a woman love each other very much…
he/him