The Trump Criminal Case MEGATHREAD.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: The Trump Criminal Case Megathread

Post by Moksha »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:07 am
That there are so many people who were so easily deluded by him and still can't see what an incorrigible and dangerous fraud he is will never cease to be a source of amazement and dismay to me.
Many of Trump's supporters exist in a closed information loop where their only source of information consists of a deliberate dissemination of lies, such as found at Fox News.

Fox has created an entire generation of people who yearn for a fascist dictatorship. That is a scary future to envision and yet I think it is coming.

The Founding Fathers never anticipated Donald Trump, although the Republican Party did show its attraction to fascist ideology prior to WWII. Thank goodness it became unconscionable for many years after the war. Trump brought it out of hiding. At some future point, the Fox Five will lead everyone in daily salutes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

New charges in the document case. It's the coverup that's biting him in the patoot more than the crime. Shades of Nixon. Another individual added into the mix as well.
The new charges against Trump include an additional count of willful retention of national defense information and two new counts of obstruction against both him and Nauta.

The new obstruction counts relate to the alleged efforts by Trump, Nauta and de Oliveira to delete Mar-a-Lago security camera footage that was sought by a federal grand jury in June 2022.

With the new charges, Trump now faces 40 criminal counts in the case, which was first lodged in early June by Department of Justice special counsel Jack Smith.

The most serious counts against Trump carry 20-year maximum prison terms.

De Oliveira, 56, was charged Thursday with conspiracy to obstruct justice, altering destroying, mutilating a document and false statements.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/27/third-d ... -case.html
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:11 am
Fox has created an entire generation of people who yearn for a fascist dictatorship. That is a scary future to envision and yet I think it is coming.
I pretty much understand why avaricious and power-hungry types like Rupert Murdoch are so hellbent on promoting fascism via Fox news and the rest of his obscenely lucrative media empire, but I still find it at least a bit difficult to understand why any more than a tiny minority of otherwise seemingly ordinary people would be so easily seduced by the blatantly false and hateful disinformation they so avidly disseminate.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think Republicans will establish themselves as the Pro-crime party by the candidates all pledging to pardon Trump. Republican voters will show their loyalty by supporting his 2nd term being run from Leavenworth Penitentiary.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:12 pm
I pretty much understand why avaricious and power-hungry types like Rupert Murdoch are so hellbent on promoting fascism via Fox news and the rest of his obscenely lucrative media empire, but I still find it at least a bit difficult to understand why any more than a tiny minority of otherwise seemingly ordinary people would be so easily seduced by the blatantly false and hateful disinformation they so avidly disseminate.
Everyone assumes that, while they might not be a general or captain of industry in The Leader's army or economy, they can be a captain or plant manager if just given the chance.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:53 pm
New charges in the document case. It's the coverup that's biting him in the patoot more than the crime. Shades of Nixon. Another individual added into the mix as well.
The new charges against Trump include an additional count of willful retention of national defense information and two new counts of obstruction against both him and Nauta.

The new obstruction counts relate to the alleged efforts by Trump, Nauta and de Oliveira to delete Mar-a-Lago security camera footage that was sought by a federal grand jury in June 2022.

With the new charges, Trump now faces 40 criminal counts in the case, which was first lodged in early June by Department of Justice special counsel Jack Smith.

The most serious counts against Trump carry 20-year maximum prison terms.

De Oliveira, 56, was charged Thursday with conspiracy to obstruct justice, altering destroying, mutilating a document and false statements.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/27/third-d ... -case.html
The Crime is pretty bad -- the coverup is pretty damning evidence that Trump knew that taking the classified documents was criminal. The amended indictment is pretty good evidence that Trump flat out lied about the document he was describing in the golf course recording. He claimed afterward it was just newspaper clippings -- the indictment not identifies the specific document. And there is now evidence that Trump ordered video taken at Mar al Lago altered/destroyed after the FBI requested it. The guy just can't stop criming.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Morley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 pm
The starting positions of white's King and Queen have been transposed (white Queen should occupy a white square). Woke messaging noted.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:43 pm
The starting positions of white's King and Queen have been transposed (white Queen should occupy a white square). Woke messaging noted.
Impossibly brilliant.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:43 pm
Morley wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 pm
what kind of joke is this, open with pawn to queen three? (pardon the old fashion notation I have not played in years) Such a timid opening leaves room for Trump to win. I almost imagined McNaughon was behind the image thinking he perhaps finally figured out how to get the coal and sulfur out of his pallet.

I realize that differnent openings have become more popular in past decades so checked online for modern irregular openings. There was discussion of rook pawn to three but no queen or King pawn to square three. Someone might open that as an insult perhaps.