If Trump WAS Sent by God...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

If Trump WAS Sent by God...

Post by Gunnar »

If Trump WAS Sent by God...: By Bruce W. Nelson (About 1 min, 40 seconds long)
If Donald Trump was sent by God, God’s REALLY off his game
to send someone whose only love is money, sex and fame,
and power over others to bring glory to himself.
God maybe chose Trump accidentally, from the ‘defect shelf’.

If Donald Trump’s a Christian, tell me, where the hell’s the light
that should be emanating from him morning, noon and night?
The light of sweet compassion, the light of empathy?
The only thing that lights Trump up is hate and cruelty.

I much doubt a rapist and a scoundrel
would have been The ONE that God would pick.
Some say God has a sense of humor,
but I doubt her sense of humor is so sick.

If Donald Trump’s like Jesus, Jesus would have been jerk,
who’d deny a needy stranger help, warm shelter or some work.
No, Donald wasn’t sent by God. More likely it was Satan.
It’s blasphemy revering Trump, and I’m not participatin’ .

copyright 2024, Bruce W Nelson
Last edited by Gunnar on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
huckelberry
God

Re: If Trump WAS Sent by God...

Post by huckelberry »

Such a stink has been placed upon the word evangelical that people should move way away from it (and its cult).
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Why should an evangelical move away from the term? I for one would not.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I saw this thread earlier and skipped it. Then THIS came up in my youtube feed and here I am!

FINALLY! FINALLY! FINALLY! Someone who is far more able to articulate what I think and believe about Trump and Ev's involved en masse in politics as an organized political force, how it's all changed, and the ramifications of said change, than I ever could has stepped forward and said it!!!

This is a MUST WATCH. Please watch!!

11 minutes and change.

Author Tim Alberta Explains Evangelicals’ Faith in Donald Trump | The View

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djPCjOObq64

I'll discuss a bit later...because I want to bring to the surface the exact things that I myself believe (and have commented to that effect on these political type threads) about all of this and they are, thankfully, presented in the above interview.

And that new campaign ad they show? That should set off alarms in the head of every Christian who sees it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

When your idea of a god is completely unrestrained by objective observation, it can be anything you need it to be.

So if you're a selfish prick with idiotic policy ideas, you can say your god sent Trump to make idiocy happen. Of course, you have to twist your religion into a pretzel to justify it, but since religion is as malleable as aluminum foil, it's not hard to do.

Nothing is less impressive to me than a claim about your god. Nothing makes me question a person's sincerity and acumen more than them making assertions about the nature of a supernatural concoction. I can't help but think the person is emotionally stunted in some way, unable to cope with the world on the world's terms when they make up or buy into crap like that.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:24 am
Why should an evangelical move away from the term? I for one would not.
Msnobody, thinking of the word as meaning spreading sharing and showing the good news of the gospel of Jesus it is certainly a good thing.

Consider what Jersey Girl posted, to view a person against Trump as not Christian is a gross distortion of the faith.

I think the influence of Trump has magnified corrupt and distorted tendencies in Christian communities. These tendancies, enjoying lies for power, exist in all human communities, original sin, but some leaders magnify the sin and give people permission to enjoy it.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:57 am
I saw this thread earlier and skipped it. Then THIS came up in my youtube feed and here I am!

FINALLY! FINALLY! FINALLY! Someone who is far more able to articulate what I think and believe about Trump and Ev's involved en masse in politics as an organized political force, how it's all changed, and the ramifications of said change, than I ever could has stepped forward and said it!!!

11 minutes and change.

I'll discuss a bit later...because I want to bring to the surface the exact things that I myself believe (and have commented to that effect on these political type threads) about all of this and they are, thankfully, presented in the above interview.

And that new campaign ad they show? That should set off alarms in the head of every Christian who sees it.
Jersey Girl, I have watched a couple of conversations with Tim Alberta. He is thoughtful and knowledgeable on the subject. I find it painful. I agree with his proposal about the ad, God sent Trump. But God sent Trump to test American Christians on what they will follow: Power, anger and resentment, or Jesus.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:57 am

11 minutes and change.

I couldn't agree more. I am both saddened and outraged that some religious leaders claiming to be Christians themselves would accuse other Christians of having abandoned their faith because they refuse to support so evil and corrupt a man as Donald J. Trump. Listen to Bruce Nelson's song. I think he made an excellent point.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:43 pm
When your idea of a god is completely unrestrained by objective observation, it can be anything you need it to be.

So if you're a selfish prick with idiotic policy ideas, you can say your god sent Trump to make idiocy happen. Of course, you have to twist your religion into a pretzel to justify it, but since religion is as malleable as aluminum foil, it's not hard to do.

Nothing is less impressive to me than a claim about your god. Nothing makes me question a person's sincerity and acumen more than them making assertions about the nature of a supernatural concoction. I can't help but think the person is emotionally stunted in some way, unable to cope with the world on the world's terms when they make up or buy into crap like that.
Yes. This is why nothing arouses my skepticism more than having to resort solely or even mainly to the pious assertion that "God said so!" to justify one's claims or actions. If you can't justify your convictions or actions without invoking the claim of divine authority, you have no credibility, as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by Gunnar on Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:26 pm
Jersey Girl, I have watched a couple of conversations with Tim Alberta. He is thoughtful and knowledgeable on the subject. I find it painful. I agree with his proposal about the ad, God sent Trump. But God sent Trump to test American Christians on what they will follow: Power, anger and resentment, or Jesus.
I have to admire Tim Alberta's point that in the Bible accounts of God calling men who had done evil things to do his work, he also (supposedly) called them to repentance first. He supposedly didn't allow them to continue doing evil after being called. That would not have been at all admirable.

However, I don't agree that the God described in The Bible never required the Israelites to do evil things. For example, I don't believe for a minute that a just God would have ordered them to slaughter in cold blood all the Amalekites and their animals and children, except for the young virgins that they could take for servants, wives and concubines. The claim that God commanded them to do that was certainly invented by them, after the fact, to justify and salve their consciences for atrocities they or their ancestors had already committed.