The MAGA movement needs to grow up

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: The MAGA movement needs to grow up

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:30 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:17 am

I get the feeling most people have barely considered what it would be like. It's a remote idea they don't really believe is possible in America. They've bathed in democracy so long, they're spoiled.

MAGA likes to whine about the state of our government, but that whining is due to massive ignorance of how bad government could be, based on both history and the way other countries are currently run. These whiny little bitches have no idea how good they have it, really. If you focus on what's bad and ignore the good, of course you're going to be angry and resentful.
I noticed Trump was already President and we didn't have a dictatorship. Trump didn't even weaponize the DOJ against his political opponents. He didn't fire Fauci during the scamdemic. Most of his former cabinet and campaign staff have been bankrupted and are now incarcerated as political prisoners. Steve Bannon, Peter Navarro, etc. It's become more and more and clear to me that freedom will never be restored through money and ballot harvesting. Even if Trump wins, can he really purge the Deep State? Those who aren't willing to fight or cannot fight, are destined for captivity and should never expect any different.
Trump appointed over 40 people to his cabinet over his 4-year term. You've named one cabinet officer who was prosecuted. You're at least 20 short of "most." Peter Navarro served four months for contempt of Congress. Unlike other former cabinet officers who refused to comply with subpoenas, Navarro never offered any evidence that Trump had directed him to claim executive privilege. Trump could have kept him out of jail by testifying at his trial that he had directed Navarro to assert executive privilege. He didn't.

Trump failed at weaponizing the DOJ because he's basically incompetent. However, he's been given a blueprint and a long list of people willing to weaponize the DOJ to allow him to carry out the revenge that he's shown is his primary motive for running.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

MAGA isn’t concerned with winning elections — despite the surprising popularity of its policies, it hasn’t notched a signature electoral victory since 2016 — and even less with forging the coalitions necessary to govern. Instead, the movement seems content to simmer in paranoia and resentment.
That is basically correct. MAGA hasn't really won since 2016. Trump won MI and PA over Hillary Clinton mainly due to her husband having signed NAFTA into law. But since 2016, the MAGA movement has gone downward. Trump having refused to concede the 2020 Presidential election very likely cost the Republicans the two Georgia US Senate seats. In 2022, Trump ended up endorsing GOP Candidates such as Kari Lake and Mark Finchem that fully embraced his big stolen election lie. As a result of that, Arizona now has a Democratic Governor, SofS, and Attorney General for the first time since the 1970s.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:38 am
If the MAGA movement grows up, it will implode. It won't be exciting enough for the folks keeping the momentum going. The MAGA movement at its core is specifically about NOT growing up.

Nobody at the forefront of the MAGA movement knows anything about anything, other than attention getting. Tax reform was thought up by RINOs and Implemented by a member of the 1% who had every incentive to do as he was told. The MAGA base only came in to play to vote in the guy who signed off on it. The MAGA base and MAGA leaders know nothing about taxes. It's a go-nowhere movement.

It's an agreement that goes something like this: Wealthy whites and their politicians have an agenda -- think of them as a deep state. But they aren't cool, they can't get the votes. They endorse Trump, and in return Trump will do as they say. Trump goes and gets the votes by a series of publicity stunts that have nothing to do with serious matters of policy.

The problem that you have with MAGA is that it's all about Trump. If Trump loses the election and goes to prison, MAGA will die. If Trump wins, MAGA will simply empower a dictator. So if that MSN guy thinks that Trump is so good at policy, that he can lead the world in an echo chamber where the only qualification of anybody in any part of the government is loyalty to him, then MAGA simply needs to keep being unhinged and angry, and churning out votes to put Trump into power. It doesn't matter what they believe about policy, it matters that they are angry enough to vote.

Trump doesn't care about most of the policies he's signed off on. Once he's in power again, he won't need to compromise with more traditional conservatives, he can do anything he wants on a whim. You have no idea what will interest him next year or the year after. Even if the MAGA movement somehow does "grow up", it won't matter, because the MAGA movement is about personal loyalty to Donald Trump, and nothing else. He'll do what he wants, independent of what grown up MAGA wants.
Gadianton, if no Trump then MAGA fades away because it has little substance? Perhaps, it rides so heavily on personality.I think you make a good point that Trump represents the deep state at least in part. They probably cannot control him as well as they wish. Trump is certainly no Hitler, he lacks the vision, devotion to that vision, drive and brilliance of Hitler. However there is the parallel that Hitler was put into power largely by the conservative establishment thinking they could control him but could not.

MSN guy? I wondered so looked him up, Peter Laffin,he writes for Washington Examiner a conservative source. He also writes for a conservative Catholic publisher. I get the picture of unquestioning conservative politics with discomfort with the morally freewheeling mob. Using his own words(that he used for somebody else) he might be seen as a conservative establishment twit.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:38 am
If the MAGA movement grows up, it will implode. It won't be exciting enough for the folks keeping the momentum going. The MAGA movement at its core is specifically about NOT growing up.

Nobody at the forefront of the MAGA movement knows anything about anything, other than attention getting. Tax reform was thought up by RINOs and Implemented by a member of the 1% who had every incentive to do as he was told. The MAGA base only came in to play to vote in the guy who signed off on it. The MAGA base and MAGA leaders know nothing about taxes. It's a go-nowhere movement.

It's an agreement that goes something like this: Wealthy whites and their politicians have an agenda -- think of them as a deep state. But they aren't cool, they can't get the votes. They endorse Trump, and in return Trump will do as they say. Trump goes and gets the votes by a series of publicity stunts that have nothing to do with serious matters of policy.

The problem that you have with MAGA is that it's all about Trump. If Trump loses the election and goes to prison, MAGA will die. If Trump wins, MAGA will simply empower a dictator. So if that MSN guy thinks that Trump is so good at policy, that he can lead the world in an echo chamber where the only qualification of anybody in any part of the government is loyalty to him, then MAGA simply needs to keep being unhinged and angry, and churning out votes to put Trump into power. It doesn't matter what they believe about policy, it matters that they are angry enough to vote.

Trump doesn't care about most of the policies he's signed off on. Once he's in power again, he won't need to compromise with more traditional conservatives, he can do anything he wants on a whim. You have no idea what will interest him next year or the year after. Even if the MAGA movement somehow does "grow up", it won't matter, because the MAGA movement is about personal loyalty to Donald Trump, and nothing else. He'll do what he wants, independent of what grown up MAGA wants.
Gadianton, if no Trump then MAGA fades away because it has little substance? Perhaps, it rides so heavily on personality.I think you make a good point that Trump represents the deep state at least in part. They probably cannot control him as well as they wish. Trump is certainly no Hitler, he lacks the vision, devotion to that vision, drive and brilliance of Hitler. However there is the parallel that Hitler was put into power largely by the conservative establishment thinking they could control him but could not.

MSN guy? I wondered so looked him up, Peter Laffin,he writes for Washington Examiner a conservative source. He also writes for a conservative Catholic publisher. I get the picture of unquestioning conservative politics with discomfort with the morally freewheeling mob. Using his own words(that he used for somebody else) he might be seen as a conservative establishment twit.
He's a teacher in Orange County. MSN is either all or mostly a news aggregator. When someone links to an article on MSN, it's worth clicking on the link to discover the actual source of the article.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:39 pm
Can't wait for the orange moron to go to jail.
I pray for that day.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:54 am
Vēritās wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:39 pm
Can't wait for the orange moron to go to jail.
I pray for that day.
The worst-case scenario is that he becomes President and leads America into a devastating war.

I've played Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4. The future with a loose cannon President is frightening.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I noticed Trump was already President and we didn't have a dictatorship
Russia didn't have a dictatorship the first term Putin became president either. Don't be ridiculous. Of course he tried every play inside and outside the book to expand his power and overturn the election results when he got his ass kicked. And yes, he did try to weaponize the DOJ, to the extent that he failed, just shows that the US is pretty resilient. Ask Bill Barr if he tried to weaponize the DOJ. Oh yeah, anyone who says Trump did anything wrong is a RINO or a communist. You should ask yourself, if Trump were to do something bad, how would it be possible to know about it?

Anyway, you even said yourself that your party should move away from false claims of election fraud in terms of election machines and fake ballots (and embrace more indirect false claims lol). But that's exactly the sort of thing Trump was all in on. So you're essentially admitting Trump lied about election fraud and tried to become a dictator, but because he failed, he wasn't one, so who cares, why are we crying about it?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Religious people need to grow up. It's not just Trump fans. MAGA is just one idiotic cult among many.

Nothing stunts growth and ensures immaturity like adhering to one religion or another. Blaming the devil or relying on a god is all about escaping personal responsibility. Religious adherents are damned children, seeking "a power greater than themselves" rather than just looking to themselves.

Christ, I look around and all I see is a bunch of aged babies, fearful people unwilling to grow the “F” up. And because there are so many, it gives power to the cynical few willing to exploit these damned dumbass sheep.

I have no hope for humanity. People are too damned stupid.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:49 am
I noticed Trump was already President and we didn't have a dictatorship
Russia didn't have a dictatorship the first term Putin became president either. Don't be ridiculous. Of course he tried every play inside and outside the book to expand his power and overturn the election results when he got his ass kicked. And yes, he did try to weaponize the DOJ, to the extent that he failed, just shows that the US is pretty resilient. Ask Bill Barr if he tried to weaponize the DOJ. Oh yeah, anyone who says Trump did anything wrong is a RINO or a communist. You should ask yourself, if Trump were to do something bad, how would it be possible to know about it?

Anyway, you even said yourself that your party should move away from false claims of election fraud in terms of election machines and fake ballots (and embrace more indirect false claims lol). But that's exactly the sort of thing Trump was all in on. So you're essentially admitting Trump lied about election fraud and tried to become a dictator, but because he failed, he wasn't one, so who cares, why are we crying about it?
Even Ben Shapiro is now giving money to the Trump campaign now. Why? Because Joe Biden has been a terrible president and his policies have done enormous damage to the US and the world.
That's the difference between Ben vs Liz Cheney or Mitt Romney. Only Ben recognizes that we have a binary choice and only Ben ever really believed in the America 1st agenda and only Ben and Ron DeSantis will again receive the support of conservatives when Trump is gone. Romney, Liz Cheney, Nikki Haley, and the Bush's shall be cast out by working class conservative voters for their betrayal of the cause and rightfully so.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:13 pm

Even Ben Shapiro is now giving money to the Trump campaign now. Why? Because Joe Biden has been a terrible president and his policies have done enormous damage to the US and the world.
It is strange how I have not seen this at all.