Russia suggests next targets could be three US states and two NATO countries

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Russia suggests next targets could be three US states and two NATO countries

Post by honorentheos »

Two words for Shades: Paul Wolfowitz.
Morley
God

Re: Russia suggests next targets could be three US states and two NATO countries

Post by Morley »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pm
Two words for Shades: Paul Wolfowitz.
You're overly optimistic.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am
Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 pm
Putin himself may have tried to distance himself recently from having any designs on regaining Alaska, or any other U.S. states, but I doubt that he would be seriously adverse to the idea if it became any way plausible, . . .
What are the chances that it becomes even remotely plausible for Putin to take over Alaska or any other U.S. states?
Next to none, unless we implode due to internal problems and even then it is doubtful. Mearsheimer is turning out to be correct here. https://www.mearsheimer.com/
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 pm
Putin himself may have tried to distance himself recently from having any designs on regaining Alaska, or any other U.S. states, but I doubt that he would be seriously adverse to the idea if it became any way plausible, . . .
What are the chances that it becomes even remotely plausible for Putin to take over Alaska or any other U.S. states?
Admittedly next to none, but I agree with Doc Cam that you are missing the point, which is that Putin is irremediably determined to expand Russian-controlled territory and his despotic political power by any means and to any extent possible. This is what makes him a danger to us and the rest of world and why his ambitions must be thwarted by any practical means. I think he is potentially more dangerous than even Hitler ever was, especially considering the fact that he controls what is probably the world's largest arsenal of nuclear weapons.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My understanding is that the Soviet Government encouraged ethnic Russians to migrate to other Republics in the Union. That gives Putin an excuse to reclaim the entirety of the old USSR.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:20 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
I think you’re missing the point entirely. The political scientist’s views are based on Russian irredentism:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_irredentism

This can actually be traced back to when the Muscovites shook off Mongol rule and began a sort of pan-slavic era wherein slavs, over the course of time, developed nationalistic tendencies, which included expansionism. Dugin, who I’ve mentioned many times on this board, tapped into this ‘lost era’ and deep cultural zeitgeist of Russian exceptionalism, manifest destiny, and rule over lands once held. Putin obviously supports these notions.
Great! What are the chances of Russian irredentism leading to the takeover of Alaska or any other U.S. states?
honorentheos wrote:Two words for Shades: Paul Wolfowitz.
What are the chances of Paul Wolfowitz allowing Putin to take over Alaska or any other U.S. states?
Gunnar wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:What are the chances that it becomes even remotely plausible for Putin to take over Alaska or any other U.S. states?
Admittedly next to none, but I agree with Doc Cam that you are missing the point, which is that Putin is irremediably determined to expand Russian-controlled territory and his despotic political power by any means and to any extent possible.
What are the chances that Putin's irremediable determination to expand Russian-controlled territory allows him to take over Alaska or any other U.S. states?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades, I still don’t think you get the point. Mikhail Mikheyev is an assistant to Dmitry Medvedev. This kind of rhetoric is just fascism, a sort of Make Russia Great Again (MRGA) to whip up public support for Russian aggression to re-expand its sphere of influence it feels like it lost. It speaks to a deeper philosophy the Muscovite political machine has that is rooted in exceptionalism, nationalism, and so forth. Obviously they wouldn’t be able to hold any territory they took from us, but that’s not the point of Mikhail Mikheyev’s rhetoric. The point was to evoke in the Muscovite psyche an era in which Russia was a state that, at one time or another, held territory from Berlin to California.

This MRGA mentality is what's driving the war on Ukraine and if not stopped, will lead to further expansion on their historical claims.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:04 am
This MRGA mentality is what's driving the war on Ukraine and if not stopped, will lead to further expansion on their historical claims.
What are the odds that this MRGA mentality and its leading to further expansion on their historical claims will allow it to take Alaska or any other U.S. states?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:44 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:04 am
What are the odds that this MRGA mentality and its leading to further expansion on their historical claims will allow it to take Alaska or any other U.S. states?
Now? Zero. If the US goes through a balkanization phase? Depends on how the lines are laid down. They already own the GOP, so it’s a non-zero chance. But, again, you’re either not understanding what I’m trying to say, or you’re not acknowledging it.

Whatevs.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:11 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:44 am
Now? Zero.
Thank you for finally answering my question.
But, again, you’re either not understanding what I’m trying to say, or you’re not acknowledging it.
I both understand and acknowledge what you’re trying to say. It isn’t rocket science by any means. But my main (nay, only) goal was to obtain an answer to my question, since the OP believes it’s a likely occurrence.