Why not expose everyone to a different virus to prevent more serious viruses?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Why not expose everyone to a different virus to prevent more serious viruses?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

In studies published in 2020 and 2021, Foxman and her colleagues reported that an initial infection of rhinovirus induced a strong and rapid innate immune response that prevented a subsequent infection with influenza or SARS-CoV-2 in an organoid model.
https://www.the-scientist.com/what-happ ... irus-70817

Edit: reading up on this because my daughter's symptoms don't seem to fit with either slapped cheek or measles (which both are going around her school at the moment). She has symptoms of both. He rash doesn't look like measles, it isn't Lacey either. It's like big blotches connecting, but she does have some white spots and red splotches in her mouth and she has fevers on and off. She has small pimple like spots on her back and legs.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Why not expose everyone to a different virus to prevent more serious viruses?

Post by Jersey Girl »

Do you think it could be hand, foot, and mouth disease? Is that going around school as well?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Re: Why not expose everyone to a different virus to prevent more serious viruses?

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 am
In studies published in 2020 and 2021, Foxman and her colleagues reported that an initial infection of rhinovirus induced a strong and rapid innate immune response that prevented a subsequent infection with influenza or SARS-CoV-2 in an organoid model.
https://www.the-scientist.com/what-happ ... irus-70817

Edit: reading up on this because my daughter's symptoms don't seem to fit with either slapped cheek or measles (which both are going around her school at the moment). She has symptoms of both. He rash doesn't look like measles, it isn't Lacey either. It's like big blotches connecting, but she does have some white spots and red splotches in her mouth and she has fevers on and off. She has small pimple like spots on her back and legs.
Re: fever, you've mentioned you're not in the US before, so I'm curious what your school rules are. My kids' schools (eastern seaboard, u.s.) all had really strict rules about fevers, if anyone had a fever they were not allowed to attend school until 24 hours after the fever had broken. Any recurrence would reset the 24 hour clock. That played havoc with attendance, of course!! But I can see the necessity.

For measles, did you (since you mentioned your GP thought you had them) and your daughter both have an MMR test? Those results usually come back pretty quickly, although if you both were vaccinated it's pretty unlikely you have measles.

Has there been a measles outbreak in your community? Re measles, attendance here is not allowed without documented MMR vaccination records (or fully vetted and documented exemptions), and full isolation is required if there is a positive test. You said measles is going around your school so I'm curious how such an outbreak is being handled.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

The site went slow...

I'll reply to both .

It's not hand foot and mouth. They've had that before.

At school slapped cheek and measles is going around. The people I've talked to, their kids are double vaccinated. We received an email from school stating that there are a few cases of measles and to keep kids at home until they recover. The NHS advice is isolate for at least 4 days after rash appears. And the school guidance for slapped cheek is that they can go to school.

The guidance for fever is to stay at home til the fever goes.

Most illnesses require school attendance..

If I recall correctly, the ones that you can stay off for are, the serious ones for obvious reasons, chicken pox, pox of other varieties, impetigo, sickness and diarrhoea which is 48 hours after last episode. Can't think of anything else.

I know person who recently had bacterial meningitis who was vaccinated. They don't understand why the vaccine didn't work.

I don't know what Phoebe has. I can't find anything on the internet that looks like what she has. But we have discovered something strange...
Her rash fades but then appears and gets redder when exposed to light. It looks like an allergy rash but isn't raised or itchy. GP is shut, so I need to wait til monday and will call if she still has the rash.

Edit: not tested but it has been reported to the cdc and we will receive a swab in the post to test Phoebe.

Second edit: since a few hours after I started antibiotics I have gotten a lot better. Fever has gone. So don't think I did have measles.
Third edit lol: HFM isn't going around. That tends to be caught at soft play areas.
Last edited by Imwashingmypirate on Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm
The site went slow...

I'll reply to both .

At school slapped cheek and measles is going around. The people I've talked to, their kids are double vaccinated. We received an email from school stating that there are a few cases of measles and to keep kids at home until they recover. The NHS advice is isolate for at least 4 days after rash appears. And the school guidance for slapped cheek is that they can go to school.

If I recall correctly, the ones that you can stay off for are, the serious ones for obvious reasons, chicken pox, pox of other varieties, impetigo, sickness and diarrhoea which is 48 hours after last episode. Can't think of anything else.

I know person who recently had bacterial meningitis who was vaccinated. They don't understand why the vaccine didn't work.

I don't know what Phoebe has. I can't find anything on the internet that looks like what she has. But we have discovered something strange...
Her rash fades but then appears and gets redder when exposed to light. It looks like an allergy rash but isn't raised or itchy. GP is shut, so I need to wait til monday and will call if she still has the rash.

Edit: not tested but it has been reported to the cdc and we will receive a swab in the post to test Phoebe.

Second edit: since a few hours after I started antibiotics I have gotten a lot better. Fever has gone. So don't think I did have measles.
The MMR vaccine is very effective against measles and rubella, but is not 100% effective. Fifths disease (slapped cheek) is pretty contagious. Having both going around a school at the same time must be a nightmare, given that both can cause similar looking rashes. There are lots of causes of meningitis. There are vaccines that protect against some, but not all, causes of bacterial and viral meningitis.

How frustrating!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
The site went slow...

I'll reply to both .

The MMR vaccine is very effective against measles and rubella, but is not 100% effective. Fifths disease (slapped cheek) is pretty contagious. Having both going around a school at the same time must be a nightmare, given that both can cause similar looking rashes. There are lots of causes of meningitis. There are vaccines that protect against some, but not all, causes of bacterial and viral meningitis.

How frustrating!
Someone said the Dr told them measles has mutated. Both look very similar which is confusing. The meningitis the kid had was bacterial meningococcal meningitis which he was vaccinated for. He was very lucky that he had a fall and bumped his head and that the junior doctors were on strike so he got the consultant so they caught it early.

I've added a video. The rash brightens quickly but the camera doesn't show the extent of how bright it gets.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

Someone said the Dr told them measles has mutated.
Not enough to be an issue, and especially not a reason to not vaccinate.
Researchers Clarify Why Measles Doesn’t Evolve to Escape Immunity
Mayo Clinic Staff

March 30, 2021

Unlike SARS-CoV-2, which mutated into new strains in its first year as a human disease-causing virus, measles virus does not mutate in a comparable way. A person who is fully vaccinated against the measles virus will usually be protected for life. Now, with a Cell Reports Medicine publication, Mayo Clinic scientists think they know why measles doesn't escape control of the immune system.

...The data presented in the manuscript show that, to escape immunity, a disease-causing, or pathogenic, measles virus would need to generate a large set of mutations — simultaneously — affecting multiple parts of the surface proteins. Simultaneous disruption of at least five antibody targets is required before the virus starts developing resistance to the diversity of neutralizing antibodies in the bloodstream. The authors have characterized the probability of this occurrence as "vanishingly small." Further, they found that even if a measles virus were to mutate extraordinarily and escape neutralizing antibodies in the blood of a vaccinated person, the resulting strain could not cause disease. It would have lost the ability to bind its receptors which are the "keys" to the "doors" in and out of a cell (read more about one door, called nectin-4, in a 2019 article). Funding for this effort was provided by Al and Mary Agnes McQuinn and Mayo Clinic.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/disc ... -immunity/
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Marcus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

Someone said the Dr told them measles has mutated.
Not enough to be an issue, and especially not a reason to not vaccinate.
Researchers Clarify Why Measles Doesn’t Evolve to Escape Immunity
Mayo Clinic Staff

March 30, 2021

Unlike SARS-CoV-2, which mutated into new strains in its first year as a human disease-causing virus, measles virus does not mutate in a comparable way. A person who is fully vaccinated against the measles virus will usually be protected for life. Now, with a Cell Reports Medicine publication, Mayo Clinic scientists think they know why measles doesn't escape control of the immune system.

...The data presented in the manuscript show that, to escape immunity, a disease-causing, or pathogenic, measles virus would need to generate a large set of mutations — simultaneously — affecting multiple parts of the surface proteins. Simultaneous disruption of at least five antibody targets is required before the virus starts developing resistance to the diversity of neutralizing antibodies in the bloodstream. The authors have characterized the probability of this occurrence as "vanishingly small." Further, they found that even if a measles virus were to mutate extraordinarily and escape neutralizing antibodies in the blood of a vaccinated person, the resulting strain could not cause disease. It would have lost the ability to bind its receptors which are the "keys" to the "doors" in and out of a cell (read more about one door, called nectin-4, in a 2019 article). Funding for this effort was provided by Al and Mary Agnes McQuinn and Mayo Clinic.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/disc ... -immunity/
I read this earlier today when I was looking to see if it had mutated after being told that. I don't know anyone who isn't vaccinated to be honest. I don't think British people are antivax in the same way Americans are. I didn't get the COVID vaccine though. My mum got it early because she has COPD and it gave her a heart condition so she was told not to have the others.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
...Second edit: since a few hours after I started antibiotics I have gotten a lot better. Fever has gone. So don't think I did have measles...
Antibiotics don't resolve fevers that fast, so it was probably not related. I'd rely on your MMR test results to determine if you had measles rather than that. Have you had any news yet about those tests? If you and your daughter were vaccinated, its highly unlikely you had measles, but it never hurts to check!
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Could it be that our immune systems are working differently since COVID? Diseases are coming back and the media suggests it is because the rates of vaccination is dropping. But they appear to be coming back in people who are already vaccinated and the vaccination decline is less than the increase in cases.

People are saying that if they weren't vaccinated they could have been a lot worse. Which means they were vaccinated.

I have immune issues. I have ehlers danlos syndrome, autoimmune conditions, erythema and dermagraphia, dysautomic symptoms, "wear and tear disease" lol, vitamin deficiencies not related to diet. I have allergies that can't be confirmed because I have no ige so it is likely that the tests are false negatives (according to the immunologist). Immune systems are weird.