The Body Keeps the Score (book)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

The Body Keeps the Score (book)

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hello All,

Has anyone read this book and if so, what do you have to say about it? That's all and thanks!

Jersey

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
Bessel van der Kolk M.D
https://www.amazon.com/Body-Keeps-Score ... 0143127748
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Morley
God

Re: The Body Keeps the Score (book)

Post by Morley »

Hey, Jersey. Here's my quick and dirty. (For what it's worth, I'm sure it doesn't conform to the popular view of this massive bestseller.)

When I started the book, I was pretty impressed with what van der Kolk had to say. Unfortunately, that feeling diminished the farther I got into the author's treatise. To my thinking, he overestimates and over-generalizes the presence and influence of trauma. To him, trauma is ubiquitous. He seems to be saying that everyone has trauma, and that anything can cause trauma. While this approach can be actualizing to the individual, in reality, this definition diminishes the experience of those who are in the clutches of overwhelmingly damaging PTSD.

His definition of trauma is a little like what I've sometimes seen on the definition of art. There are those who will claim that everything is art. The problem is that if everything is art, then the very definition of art loses all meaning--and nothing is art. Likewise, if everything is trauma, then nothing is trauma. Broadening the definition to that extent dilutes the meaning of the word.

My second critique is with van der Kolk's suggestions for dealing with PTSD. He eschews pharmacology and leans heavily into unproven behavioral techniques that don't really have a proven track record.

From what I understand, van der Kolk wants a more expansive official definition of PTSD, but, in this case, his idealogical tilting at the windmill of mainstream psychology neither serves the field, nor the interests of those who are actually experiencing trauma.

Edit: I probably need to tack an addendum to end of this post. From what I can see, the author has solid credibility as a clinician and a researcher--and I'm sure that from a pop psychology / self-help point of view, the book could be valuable to some of those who read it. I'm just not sure that van der Kolk's approach would be necessarily helpful for those with serious PTSD.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

And, with a single post, it seems that I shat all over your thread and made it so that no one else will venture an opinion.

My apologies, Jersey Girl.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:10 am
And, with a single post, it seems that I shat all over your thread and made it so that no one else will venture an opinion.

No, no, no, Morley! I'm so sorry I should have replied sooner at least a quick one. My week went off the rails. Here is one question I have for you right at the top and I appreciate the detailed reply you gave!

I'm looking for a book to help someone understand what it is like for their SO to live with PTSD. Like walk a mile in their moccasins, like what it's like to be on the inside of the disorder, what it's like to be in their head, how debilitating it can be, how it disrupts the person's life and what an enormous effort one makes to live and function each day. Something that will bring about understanding. Kind of make them "feel" it.

I looked at a ton of reviews and The Body Keeps the Score is the one that had the highest reviews. So in your estimation is this the right book?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

In truth, Jersey, I probably would--with the caveats that I listed above. I think that PTSD is too easily shrugged off by a misunderstanding public--a tendency this book certainly attempts to remedy.

The book's strengths are that it's well-written and accessible, with a solid core of theory. Its weakness is that I think it both overcorrects and ventures a little too much into woo. But I'm sure that it could be an extremely valuable resource.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Morley wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:10 am

Perhaps if you didn't do such a good job, you'd have left some room for the rest of us. As to The Body Keeps Score, it has been a hot minute since I've read it, but your review struck me as spot on. I think my generic issue with a lot of the pop-psychology is that often it revolves around taking what is a solid finding but then running it to an absurd extreme.
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:33 am
I'm looking for a book to help someone understand what it is like for their SO to live with PTSD.
I think two of the books that helped me the most were Transformed by Trauma: Stories of Posttraumatic Growth and Posttraumatic Growth. I find Dr. Tedeschi to be more clinical in his approach which I appreciate on a topic as loaded as this and I appreciate his focus on PTG and how one rebuilds as part of the ongoing healing process. These recommendations might lean a bit more to the recovery side than you were hoping for but for myself it was helpful to connect the two. By examining the methodology for healing it was easier for me to understand the symptoms, how it manifested in my SO's life, and the things I needed to be doing to help encourage that process.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Thanks guys! I couldn't have picked a worse week to start this thread. That said, let me just put out one quick scenario for the time being.

Your partner has PTSD. You like to watch football games on television. When you watch the games, you jump up and down and shout like a guy...because you're a guy. Your partner is triggered by loud noises and perceived aggression both of which causes flashbacks.

Any of those books going to cover that sort of thing?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Well now you've got me curious, is the gentleman in you story asking for the book recommendation directly, or are you hoping that sharing the book will kick-start his interest? My take might be different depending on if they're acknowledging they need to get educated and examine their behaviors for the partner or are still fairly oblivious to the impact they have.

As far as introductory books go I think The Body Keeps Score would probably be as good a jumping off point as most. I did ping my therapist friend and they recommended Loving Someone with PTSD. I have not read this particular title but I have read I Can't Get Over It by the same author. I found it easy to digest, highly informative, and very practical in approach. Between my buddies take and some of the reviews I'm reading this one will likely end up onto my own list.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Good recommendations, Xenophon.

Though it's a little dated, for someone experiencing PTSD from combat, I'll add Jonathan Shay's Achilles in Vietnam.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:33 pm
In truth, Jersey, I probably would--with the caveats that I listed above. I think that PTSD is too easily shrugged off by a misunderstanding public--a tendency this book certainly attempts to remedy.

The book's strengths are that it's well-written and accessible, with a solid core of theory. Its weakness is that I think it both overcorrects and ventures a little too much into woo. But I'm sure that it could be an extremely valuable resource.
I think the woo might be a turn off. It would be for me. I'll think about it.

Slava Ukraini!