Criminalization of Homelessness

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Criminalization of Homelessness

Post by Moksha »

The Supreme Court is looking into the legal status of the homeless. The case, City of Grants Pass v. Johnson, carries enormous stakes nationwide as the conservative justices decide their fate.

What is your opinion, and do you think the Soylent Green Snack Company of Linden Utah will receive a windfall in raw materials? Soylent could adopt the motto, "You can leave your heart in San Francisco again without worrying about dysentery."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
yellowstone123
Bishop

Re: Criminalization of Homelessness

Post by yellowstone123 »

It's an issue that concerns me. Since returning to my hometown after ten years there are many homeless openly living in the mid-size city parking lots. These people were not there ten years ago. I feel for them. I really do want to help.

I was addressing the issue of don't do unto others what you don't want done to yourself. Jersey Girl went to a – proactive approach of do unto others like you would like others to do to you - or something like that.

The issue is this is the 21st century and not the first century.

I look at the people who are homeless and many have mental health problems. In Los Angeles, California and Orange County, California they tried or are presently trying to get homeless/unhoused people off the street and put them in motels. But a lot of time they don't want to follow any rules, especially the rules of the motel. They are well known at shelters and some have restraining orders against them filed at court by their parents and shelters.

When I see someone who looks at me for help, I ask myself if they are receiving SSI, they may not be homeless/unhoused, actually live somewhere and receive a whole host of low to no cost medical and dental benefits. They may pay little to no pay for bus fare if they show evidence, they are receiving Medicare and SSI. To be curious and ask questions may result in them becoming violent.

In 2024 to be proactive, give money, or buy a meal for them when you see their condition because you believe you would want someone to do the same if you were in the same situation might be a wrong assessment as they are not hungry as someone bought them the same meal you are offering an hour earlier and if you give them some money it might be the same amount 5 other people gave them the last hour.

Are they implying something and I’m inferring wrongly or is its other way around?

Check out the argument from California Counties and their proactive approach.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/c ... v-johnson/
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:58 am
The Supreme Court is looking into the legal status of the homeless. The case, City of Grants Pass v. Johnson, carries enormous stakes nationwide as the conservative justices decide their fate.

What is your opinion, and do you think the Soylent Green Snack Company of Linden Utah will receive a windfall in raw materials? Soylent could adopt the motto, "You can leave your heart in San Francisco again without worrying about dysentery."
It's already against the law to sleep outside on someone elses property. It's been the law your entire life. If you don't believe me, go try it sometime and see if you don't get arrested and provided with three hots and a cot in jail. I guess you'll just have to bring them all over to your place.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 pm
Moksha wrote:

It's already against the law to sleep outside on someone elses property. It's been the law your entire life. If you don't believe me, go try it sometime and see if you don't get arrested and provided with three hots and a cot in jail. I guess you'll just have to bring them all over to your place.
So, you support locking up the occupiers at Malheur and Pappy Bundy for trespassing?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:07 pm
It's an issue that concerns me. Since returning to my hometown after ten years there are many homeless openly living in the mid-size city parking lots. These people were not there ten years ago. I feel for them. I really do want to help.

I was addressing the issue of don't do unto others what you don't want done to yourself. Jersey Girl went to a – proactive approach of do unto others like you would like others to do to you - or something like that.

The issue is this is the 21st century and not the first century.

I look at the people who are homeless and many have mental health problems. In Los Angeles, California and Orange County, California they tried or are presently trying to get homeless/unhoused people off the street and put them in motels. But a lot of time they don't want to follow any rules, especially the rules of the motel. They are well known at shelters and some have restraining orders against them filed at court by their parents and shelters.

When I see someone who looks at me for help, I ask myself if they are receiving SSI, they may not be homeless/unhoused, actually live somewhere and receive a whole host of low to no cost medical and dental benefits. They may pay little to no pay for bus fare if they show evidence, they are receiving Medicare and SSI. To be curious and ask questions may result in them becoming violent.

In 2024 to be proactive, give money, or buy a meal for them when you see their condition because you believe you would want someone to do the same if you were in the same situation might be a wrong assessment as they are not hungry as someone bought them the same meal you are offering an hour earlier and if you give them some money it might be the same amount 5 other people gave them the last hour.

Are they implying something and I’m inferring wrongly or is its other way around?

Check out the argument from California Counties and their proactive approach.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/c ... v-johnson/
Thanks for the link to Scotusblog. That's a ton of amicus briefs. California and a couple others submitted an "amicus brief in support of either side." I don't recall seeing that before, although I'm sure it's happened. Basically, they explain to the Court the complex issues that are involved and ask the Court not to do something that makes the problem worse.

It's a complex problem with no simple solutions. Proposed solutions that take the problem seriously run smack into NIMBY opposition. Addressing the problem by throwing people in jail for the crime of having no place to sleep is, in my opinion, a waste of money and counterproductive.
he/him

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Moksha wrote:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:16 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 pm
So, you support locking up the occupiers at Malheur and Pappy Bundy for trespassing?
If I were to bring my sleeping bag and sleep under the side roof of a competing optical in search of a dry spot on a rainy night, would I be arrested and taken to jail? I don't know about the left coast but that's always been the law where I'm from.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:10 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:16 pm
If I were to bring my sleeping bag and sleep under the side roof of a competing optical in search of a dry spot on a rainy night, would I be arrested and taken to jail? I don't know about the left coast but that's always been the law where I'm from.
So, the answer to my question is “yes.”
he/him

Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
Help us out. What, specifically, are the "enormous stakes?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:10 pm
So, the answer to my question is “yes.”
No. I was responding to the original post on the "Criminalization of homelessness." It's already been criminal long before I was even born.