Criminalization of Homelessness

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Criminalization of Homelessness

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:30 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:53 am
Help us out. What, specifically, are the "enormous stakes?"
For the homeless, it would mean a place to sleep.
So, "a place for the homeless to sleep," not "enormous stakes."

Thank you for putting it into proper perspective, as opposed to what we read in the opening post.
Help us out.
Glad to help out, but I can't help but sense this question is a bit adversarial.
It wasn't. I wanted to know the specifics of what you were getting at.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cards on the table. I haven't read the posts here. I want to throw in something that might fit, she said not knowing...

It's a video about what NYC is doing to make life uncomfortable for the homeless. It's called hostile architecture. I saw this months ago. It's Cash Jordan who does NYC apartment tours. Run time is about 15 minutes. If you don't want to watch the whole thing just zoom yourself through it here and there and see what he's talking about. Never saw Cash Jordan do something like this.

I say it's inhumane.

NYC is Building Anti-Homeless Streets…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnqUoAEg6f4
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:09 pm
Question: are these exceptions to when the juvenile court can take custody of children?
Yes and No.

I’ll give you the beginning in the ‘1990s in a few parts:

In general CPS in one California County will remove the children, place them with relatives or shelter care, write a report* describing the issue, it’s faxed to intake, detention and control (IDC) where a CPS worker there may have questions about the detention, and makes calls and clarifies some issues with the field office, the police or medical staff, and at least once or twice the CPS Emergency Response worker who did the initial investigation, detention and placement, wrote/typed and faxed the report to IDC and CPS worker at IDC will start a discussion the phone with each other, sometimes it gets heated as the CPS worker in the field who did all the work doesn't want to be lectured by a CPS worker at IDC/Court.

This may happen once if five years to the CPS emergency response worker in the field who is likely juggling 30 referrals/families at at a time. The IDC CPS worker may also have sat next to the worker on the phone and done Emergency Response a year before but is now at court.

The IDC CPS person writes/types the petition, calls and verifies questions, puts it on calendar for the following day, gets the petition, all reports and puts them together for the court. The court officer, a CPS worker, who could have also worked emergency response two years prior and all three worked in the same unit reads everything and gives it to the county counsel who will read and get familiar with the issues. County Counsel likely has two or three detentions that morning, 12 judicial reviews, and 2 trials later that afternoon in the same court room that day.

But I think my point is that being poor and homeless would have been flagged by so many people before it even was given to the judge for the first of many hearings and rulings. Being a poor family is not jurisdictional in Juvenile Court and a child brought before the court shall not be described as someone who is at high risk for depression, anxiety, withdrawal, untoward aggression, etc for living in poverty.

*In CPS investigation allegations of physical abuse and sexual abuse are extremely serious. The general rule is to bring the police with you or call them after a disclosure is made and have them interview the child. Many times, a CPS worker explains to the officers that they need to take the child into custody and release the child to them. This only takes a few seconds and, on the spot, but this is an arrest, a report by law enforcement is needed and completed, the report then goes to detectives. Many times, in cases like this the parent is dealing with two court rooms, judges, attorneys and different burdens of proof on the government. Where in Dependency Court (child abuse) the burden is a preponderance of evidence where in criminal court it’s beyond a reasonable doubt. Many times, the first responding officer will then go arrest the parent or perpetrator. Does this happen all the time. No, and it can lead to many difficulties later in court because this was not done at the beginning. When it’s clear that those two subdivisions of section 300 are involved, CPS needs to get the police to the school or home or shelter, neighbors house immediately.

To be continued
Now if someone calls the child abuse hotline – the real child abuse hotline not the one of the Mormon churches reportedly has, a CPS worker is handed a referral, most of the time it’s dropped in his basket on top of a filing cabinet. The referral is also electronic and is in his computer in which the cps emergency response worker will log into, which is a state system called CWS or Child Welfare System. The physical one in a green folder with the referral printed out and the one in the computer are identical.

If the issue of the family is being poor and somehow it did generate a referral, but usually it would have been flagged by the hotline supervisor, let’s say it got through and was assigned to be investigated and the CPS emergency response worker who locates and talks with the father and his children – 1) female, age 15, male, age 11, female age 7, male, age 3 who are living in their broken-down truck and camper in skid row. They are across the street from a 24-hour fitness, and they use it for showers and the restroom, which the staff verifies and does not mind and get their daily meals from a food pantry every 3 days, the free clinic a block away said they were just there two days ago, and have been for two years, and it’s sad dad’s truck is only quarter mile from their old apartment.

When a CPS worker speak separately with a children, two broken down cars ahead of the truck, the children report that they are in no pain, report no type of abuse, no marks or bruises are noticed on exposed areas of the children’s body that the worker casually notes, they appear well nourished and the father is setting something up either in waiting for his housing to come through and in which he is now the 2nd from the top , or he might be moving in with a sister in Fresno. So, it appears to the CPS worker the family is poor. The Legislature (the people) and the governor are clear – being poor is not considered jurisdictional. I'll get into being described a dependent of the court and being declared a dependent of the court. I might was well explain the process many children in poverty face.

To be continued
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks for all the information, Yellowstone.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Hey Ajax,

CNN reporting 400 arrests in 24 hours of pro-Palestinian protesters on college campuses. Why is the deep state is allowing this?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:54 am
Hey Ajax,

CNN reporting 400 arrests in 24 hours of pro-Palestinian protesters on college campuses. Why is the deep state is allowing this?
It's not the deep state. Apparently, Jesus is in charge.

I guess he wanted Obama, too, that rascally messiah.

So that means that Obama is controlling Biden, and Jesus is controlling Obama, so Biden is doing what Jesus wants. Humph. Interesting.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It took longer to find information about the arrests on Fox, as I'm sure they are scared to admit that liberals also get arrested for protesting. The article I found was under the main heading of "Donald Trump". It talked about the police efforts in context of Donald Trump condemning the protests and praising the police; as if the police are taking orders from Trump.