Illegal immigration during Trump

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Illegal immigration during Trump

Post by ajax18 »

people to find out how many of them actually believed there was an "open border," and it was all based on the lies told by right wing morons.
They believed the border was open because it was in fact open. I also believe that you and the far left want the border open. I believe that Democrats see walls and borders as immoral to quote Pelosi. Is this some kind of messaging failure on the part of the left? No, because it's the truth. Not only can you/Biden not be honest with voters. You can't be honest with yourselves either. You actually believe that Trump is a racist guilty of cruelly enforcing the border to serve the interests of his supporters and that Biden actually kept out more illegal immigrants than Trump. A poll comes out that most voters don't want mass and illegal immigration. Democrats ask, should we change our policies and start enforcing the border? No just tell the voters that we were actually the people in favor of enforcing the border and Trump actually wanted to let everyone in. They'll believe it because that's what they want to hear.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:19 am
people to find out how many of them actually believed there was an "open border," and it was all based on the lies told by right wing morons.
They believed the border was open because it was in fact open.
A baseless assertion driven by ignorant racists is something we expect from you since you never back up your assertions with evidence, but it has already been demonstrated that the border wasn't open. It has never been "open" and by any definition you want to give, it would show that the border was more "open" under Trump than it is under Biden. I've already proven this several times over and all you can do is ignore the evidence and just keep repeating the same idiotic talking points.

No, because it's the truth. Not only can you/Biden not be honest with voters. You can't be honest with yourselves either.
I've backed up my assertions with hard facts, whereas all you do is keep asserting the same stupid crap.
You actually believe that Trump is a racist guilty of cruelly enforcing the border to serve the interests of his supporters and that Biden actually kept out more illegal immigrants than Trump.

As a percentage of those apprehended yes, and it was the Right leaning CATO Institute that made that point clear using all the available data provided by border patrol. Again, I've provided this data at least three times and you keep ignoring it. I never said Trump was "cruelly enforcing the border," I said he was inept at doing anything about the border crisis, which reached a 12 year high during his tenure. His idea was to build a $100 billion wall that got defeated by a $10 shovel on day one.
A poll comes out that most voters don't want mass and illegal immigration. Democrats ask, should we change our policies and start enforcing the border?
The border is being enforced, you're just repeating the same stupid talking points again. You have no facts or logic on your side, you're entirely falling back on emotionally charged rhetoric grounded in ignorance. The only policy that needs to be changed is that addressing asylum, but Biden helped orchestrate a BIPARTISAN bill that would have done more to resolve the problem than any other piece of legislation in history, and House Republicans decided to put the political ambitions of their felon before the needs of the country and they killed the bill. That isn't on Biden, that is entirely on the Republicans and Trump since he is the one who ordered them to do it.
No just tell the voters that we were actually the people in favor of enforcing the border and Trump actually wanted to let everyone in. They'll believe it because that's what they want to hear.
Nobody said Trump wanted to let them in. The point is the problem is far more complicated than ignorant racists want to admit, and I've proven that electing Trump won't solve anything because he was already in office 4 years and he didn't do crap other than to toss about unconstitutional executive orders that got thrown back in his face, at which point he went whining to the media and begged Congress to help him.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I said he was inept at doing anything about the border crisis,
Why would I believe you when you've made it clear to me that you don't believe there is a crisis at the southern border but rather a blessing? Maybe a blessing for the wealthy business owners like yourself but not for the majority of legal citizens who have to pay for your employees childrens healthcare, schooling, etc.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm
I said he was inept at doing anything about the border crisis,
Why would I believe you when you've made it clear to me that you don't believe there is a crisis at the southern border but rather a blessing? Maybe a blessing for the wealthy business owners like yourself but not for the majority of legal citizens who have to pay for your employees childrens healthcare, schooling, etc.
Trump let 27,000,000 illegal immigrants waltz through the door and set up shop during his presidency. Hell, he even hired a bunch of them to work for him.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Hi Veritas,

I know the Republicans quashed Biden’s bi-partisan border bill, but what would it have done had it been implemented?

I’m not calling you out; I’m genuinely curious.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:18 pm
Hi Veritas,

I know the Republicans quashed Biden’s bi-partisan border bill, but what would it have done had it been implemented?

I’m not calling you out; I’m genuinely curious.
1. First and perhaps most importantly is the change in the law that helps the President. Currently, we can't turn away asylum seekers without a law providing a legal pathway for that. During the Trump administration the legal loophole he used was Title 42 which was part of a law that passed in the late 19th century to help prevent the spread of communicable diseases in the U.S. It was in response to a cholera epidemic. More than a century later the COVID pandemic provided a justification to activate Title 42 for the first time since 1929. So in 2020 we saw the immigration crisis subside, not because of Trump really, but because of the "scamdemic" Ajax attributes to the Democrats.

However once the pandemic ended, Title 42 was no longer a viable tool for turning away asylum seekers; effectively "closing the border" as Biden recently suggested he'd do if Congress gave him that authority. So the border bill the Republicans and Democrats had been working on was specifically aimed towards providing the Executive branch a legal means to curb the influx of immigration in extreme situations like we're seeing now with our border enforcement being overwhelmed and the court system backed up for decades. In the details of the bill was a little devil that lying Republicans used to smear the bill. For instance, they said the bill gave amnesty to 5,000 - 8,500 immigrants per day. But none of these people actually read the bill. In reality, what it said was that once illegal border crossings reached a certain threshold, the Department of Homeland Security would be required to exercise a new emergency authority that bars migrants, except unaccompanied minors, from crossing the border between ports of entry. The authority would automatically kick in if crossings rise above 5,000 on average per day on a given week, or 8,500 in a single day. The authority would sunset after three years and there would be time limits on how many days it can be used. Why is this important? Because it would be the first time a numerical threshold would be put in place to invoke emergency measures at the border. The President wouldn't need a pandemic to trigger Title 42 as an official act of emergency because the law would effectively expand the definition of the word emergency and provide more flexibility in what the President can do.

Also, the only way migrants could seek asylum under this law would be at ports of entry, where they must schedule appointments using a government app. Currently US law allows migrants to seek asylum in the US no matter how they arrived in the country.

2. Currently, US immigration courts largely decide asylum cases, and the court system is backlogged with more than 3 million pending cases. In some locations, it can take years to get an asylum hearing. Those who pass initial screenings must be in the US for at least 180 days before they can obtain a work permit. But what this law does is speed up that process. Under the proposed law, asylum officers from US Citizenship and Immigration Services would have authority to decide on the asylum cases of migrants at the border and the legal standard of proof for passing an initial screening will be higher. Those applying would also have to prove they could not have moved to another part of their country to avoid persecution. Those who pass initial asylum screenings will immediately be eligible for work permits instead of having to wait 6 months. Those who don't pass the screening have only 72 hrs to win an appeal before being deported.

And on top of that the bill would have allocated more than $20 billion for increased border patrol agents, enhanced security technology and improved/alternative ways to detain those awaiting their asylum verdicts.

OF course, none of this happened because Donald Trump told the House and Senate Republicans to sabotage the bill because he knew it would have been another legislative notch in Biden's belt. So while Biden is getting crap done, Trump, an unelected official, is effectively pulling all the strings in order to keep the immigration issue a crisis so he can campaign on it. It is all about Trump first, America last.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Wow, thank you for typing all that up. It was very helpful.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:50 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

Trump let 27,000,000 illegal immigrants waltz through the door and set up shop during his presidency. Hell, he even hired a bunch of them to work for him.

- Doc
You got someone who wants to enforce the border more than Trump? Didn't think so.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:44 pm
You got someone who wants to enforce the border more than Trump? Didn't think so.
You mean, someone who talks about wanting to enforce the border, more than Trump.

Border enforcement data is publicly available for both administrations.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:20 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:44 pm
You mean, someone who talks about wanting to enforce the border, more than Trump.

Border enforcement data is publicly available for both administrations.
Democrats want more illegal immigration, not less. They won't even call them illegal immigrants because they don't believe we have the right to even have a border. Borders are immoral and racist. It's not very hard for a Republican candidate to beat such a low bar.